PDA

View Full Version : Light Infantry - Vehicles

Greatoliver
17-08-2007, 18:03
Hey,

I've been considering adding some tanks to my Light Infantry warband (:p) and the two I were considering to add were a Hellhound and/or a Basilisk.

The Hellhound would be a cool/useful addition by giving me some long-ranged flaminess and it is a sort of "light battle-tank" so I think is would fit in with my fluff/gaming style of being Light Infantry.

The Bassie is a bit more complicated though. I was thinking about this and decided that a bit of long-ranged fire-power couldn't go wrong and since it would be at the back of my army, it would represent, well, a long-ranged artillery unit that was a long way away... If you get my drift. However, I also remembered that it was an actual tank and that it may not fit in with the general feeling of my army... :rolleyes: ... So I remembered an idea someone else had about making one that was immobile.

Let me explain: basically, it would be the cannon off the Bassie on the ground surrounded by sandbags and with a camo-roof over the top. I was thinking of having crew around it and a converted heavy weapons team manning a Heavy Bolter and perhaps a Heavy Stubber etc. Fun to make, fun to use. :cool:

So, what are your opinions on the two matters?

Cheers for replies,

warchild9
17-08-2007, 18:20
the Bassie you could use the -count as rule- as immooble which would be great as a defnsive postion but the hellhound is just freaking sweet. I know I've lost lots of marines to them but no sisters of battle.....Fire no workie on sisters heheheheh

Culven
17-08-2007, 19:32
So, for the Basilisk, you were thinking of something like this (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/earthshaker.htm)?

Greatoliver
17-08-2007, 21:22
So, for the Basilisk, you were thinking of something like this (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/earthshaker.htm)?

Well, yeah, sort of.

It would be a bit more rag-tag - i.e. made quite quickly with a small wall of sandbags around it. It may also double as a sort of command post with a guy on the radio...

But basically, yes. Cheers for the pic and for the advice from warchild9.

Out of interest, is there a rule (e.g. from VDR) that lowers the cost of a vehicle if you give it the Immobile rule? If this could be slightly cheaper than a normal Bassie, I would welcome the opportunity with open arms.

Strikerkc
17-08-2007, 21:24
You may want to think of salamander scout vehicles. I use plenty of those.

Grand Warlord
17-08-2007, 21:27
Yes i concur the salamander would work as well.

Cry of the Wind
17-08-2007, 21:48
I'd go with the Bassilisk idea for a couple of reasons. First off it is going to be firing indirectly which will keep it alive. Being the only armoured vehicle in you infantry army if you plunk down a single vechile (even an AV12 one) every lascannon/railgun/dark lance/whatever will be pointing at it. Secondly it fits you theme a little better especially if it is modeled the way you're suggesting. Light Infantry and a random flame tank are harder to explain than supporting artillery strikes (with a model on table only because its needed and fair).

Savant
17-08-2007, 21:49
Well, yeah, sort of.

It would be a bit more rag-tag - i.e. made quite quickly with a small wall of sandbags around it. It may also double as a sort of command post with a guy on the radio...

But basically, yes. Cheers for the pic and for the advice from warchild9.

Out of interest, is there a rule (e.g. from VDR) that lowers the cost of a vehicle if you give it the Immobile rule? If this could be slightly cheaper than a normal Bassie, I would welcome the opportunity with open arms.

Imperial armor I contains rules for the Earthshaker weapon platform, which is pretty much what you were planning to make anyway - an immobile Basilisk that costs less points.

It doesn't have a heavy bolter or option for a pintle mounted weapon though, which is a shame because those would be fun to model onto it.

Here are some more FW examples, all immobile earthshakers;

Heavy Artillery Carriage mounting Earthshaker Cannon (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/hacshc.htm)
Earthshaker Platform (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/earthshakerp.htm)
Earthshaker Carriage (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/carriage.htm)

Greatoliver
17-08-2007, 21:54
Hmmm... But they cost the same as a Basilisk for something that's not as good, IMO.

I suppose, it would work with fluff but TBH, is don't really fancy having another Autocannon is my already Autocannoned-out warband!

I will consider your advice though and I thank you for your input. You may see one in the future...

EDIT - Replying to the other posts:

I think you may be right, Cry of the Wind. The Hellhound does appeal to my a lot but I don't think it would work in this army's fluff... Cheers for backing this up. Actually, in a practical sense, it would also take a while to get to the fray as most of my army will be further up the board.

I've had a look at the FW stuff Savant and I have mixed opinions - basically, I would probably use the Earthshaker Platform as it fits with the Immobile sense. This would probably be my best bet, I agree, but I'm not ure if I want to delve into the heaven/hell of FW... I'll give it a think over.

EDIT2: BTW, I'm off to Crete for nine days tomorrow so I won't be able to reply until after that...