PDA

View Full Version : Big 40K rules book > small 40K rules book!!

TwilightOdyssey
19-08-2007, 03:42
In the year that I've been playing 40K I've been using the BfM rules book, and it has served me well. All the times I've seen the big 40K rules book I've thought one day I will get it, but there's always been another model, codex, paint, etc getting in the way.

Well, last night I was buying a unit of Harlequins and I finally got around to picking up the BIG rules book. Today I started reading it where the small rules book leaves off.

It is far superior!! It has many great missions not in the small book, added hobby material, and the section on terrain tables is great!! The snow field picture on page 229 has inspired me to design a snow field of my own. Kill Team? Yes, please! Looks like great fun. Love the guidelines for using sentries, as well, and can't wait to give the added missions a few plays!

The small rules book is a wonder in that it retains all of the rules, most of the information, and a good chunk of the missions in a package that's several times smaller.

But the large rules book cannot be beat for sheer volume of information and inspiration!

If you have the small rules book, I can heartily recommend the large rules book when you have the chance. You won't be sorry!! :)

davidvonhauser
19-08-2007, 04:18
It is true that the larger rule books have a hell of alot more content (mostly fluff wise) than their smaller counterparts. However, lugging that tome of information from place to place when you can just chuck a little dare I say pocket sized manual with all the information you need for various rules disputes is just silly.

The 40k Big book has as you said a fair amount of extra 'rules' and scenarios which so I think it's worth owning. I'm still not convinced to buy the larger fantasy book though. It just doesn't seem to have as much.

TheOneWithNoName
19-08-2007, 04:40
All that extra stuff just gets in the way. I wish I had the smaller rulebook. :cries:

grickherder
19-08-2007, 04:54
Yeah, I love my small rulebook. As for the hobby section, there's better content for free here on warseer than that. The extra missions are good though, but not quite worth it. As for the background information, many people still have their 3rd edition rulebooks.

Generally speaking, there's better things to spend the money on:
If you like hobby stuff, more models or paints
If you like fiction, Black Library Books.
If you like rules, Cities of Death or something like that.

Altogether I'd give the Big Book a thumbs down.

USABOB
19-08-2007, 05:00
The little rulebook is friendlier to transport so I prefer it. As for the extra missions, some are easy to remember, and it seems somebody always has the big version at hand (If they are nice enough to let you look in it for a second :)).

Stad
19-08-2007, 05:41
I finally picked up the smaller rulebook as I hated to tote along old biggy all the time. Sadly, I feel killteams have been more or less eradicated with the newer codexes (where every troop has little other options to choose from...)

Drogmir
19-08-2007, 05:49
I got into the hobby with the BGB there's no way I'm shelling out another $30 for a smaller version.

Just memorize the tables and you'll do fine.

Sabbad
19-08-2007, 10:26
I only have the big book, and I'm not buying BfM just for the rulebook and terrain.

Which is a shame, because I really would like a book that could fit in my case...

Bookwrak
19-08-2007, 10:43
I only have the big book, and I'm not buying BfM just for the rulebook and terrain.

Which is a shame, because I really would like a book that could fit in my case...

You can find several places online that sell the mini-BGB by itself, and there are usually a couple auctions up on Ebay at any given time.

TwilightOdyssey
19-08-2007, 15:13
I'm not knocking the small rules book, I think it's great. Yes, portable -- perfect for reading whilst commuting or for travel. It's more a weight issue than bulk, as carrying a couple of infantry cases is just as bulky, if not quite as heavy.

Regardless, I disagree with the Kill Team comments, and there's nothing stopping a little updating to some of the stuff, such as using Dire Avengers instead of Guardians, now that they are a Troop choice.

Re: the posters who think it's not worth the $$ for the extra missions, I totally disagree. I am always stoked to see new scenarios to play out! I'm a prolific mission writer; I come up with ideas for way more scenarios than I will ever have time to play. I plan on making a modified version of the Sentries rules for a Combat Patrol mission: I'm thinking either for a unit of Pathfinders, Tau Stealth Team, or Space Marine Rangers. Pure recon mission: break into Building A, download the data/steal the artifact, and exfil without being detected. How about a variation of the same mission but with a time limit instead of turn based? (Say, 45 minutes to do the same thing) Another variation would be to add distractions via a Heavy Support team, using the hidden marker rules.

Personally, I'm looking forward to designing a campaign that goes from a Kill Team insertion on a ship all they way to an Apocalypse battle!!

Lord Malek The Red Knight
19-08-2007, 15:18
If you have the small rules book, I can heartily recommend the large rules book when you have the chance.
agreed - owning both is definately better than just one.

i bought the Hardback book the day it came out, and i still bought the smaller one (as part of the BFM set, which i would definately recommend).

the hardback book is great, but can get a little unwieldy (try holding it in one hand while typing out a quote with another :p) and is quite heavy to carry to games etc (the fact that the only missions/rules it contains over the smaller version are the ones you would play with prior arrangement helps).

cheers

~ Tim

victorpofa
19-08-2007, 15:29
I have both as well. I keep the pocket one in the front pocket of my Army Transport along with the codex of the army currently inside. When Neil reopens Battlewagon Bits you should be able to get one of the mini books for about $10.