PDA

View Full Version : the age-old question

GrinningManiac
19-08-2007, 16:10
the ancient debate...Metal Minitures or Plastic

plastic gives less assembly hassle and more customization options

metal is more detailed, and is it jut me or do they have less or no mould lines?

your thoughts?

G.M.

Reaver83
19-08-2007, 17:10
resin wins!

Baneboss
19-08-2007, 19:44
I love one piece metal miniatures especially guardsmen.

Slaaneshi Slave
19-08-2007, 21:34
I prefer Metal armies over both Plastic and Resin - I have armies of all three. Metal has a nice weight to it, which makes you feel better about spending hundreds of pounds on it. You know what its like to pay 640 for an all Resin army and have the paint weight almost as much as the figures themselves? Liek you were ripped off, thats how! :p

grickherder
19-08-2007, 21:35
I for one have just purchased my first multi-part plastic kit in over 4 years (was doing a lot of metal historical miniatures for the last while) and I have been really enjoying it. It takes a lot more work to get the finished miniature ready for priming, but it's pleasing work.

I'm up for whatever, but generally consider metal to be higher end.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
19-08-2007, 21:36
I prefer plastic, but thats because I love to heavily convert (when I actually get the damn time that is)

RampagingRavener
19-08-2007, 21:38
Really it depends. Metal tends to carry a lot more detail, and IMO paints up nicer than plastic. But Plastic is far easier to convert with and a hell of a lot easier to transport around; lugging over a hundred plastic Orks or Tyranid infantry models, with the inevitable vehicles/monsterous creatures, is hard enough with them as plastic!

Destris
19-08-2007, 21:52
I prefer Metal armies over both Plastic and Resin - I have armies of all three. Metal has a nice weight to it, which makes you feel better about spending hundreds of pounds on it. You know what its like to pay 640 for an all Resin army and have the paint weight almost as much as the figures themselves? Liek you were ripped off, thats how! :p

You forgot the sand on the bases and the glue, so together with the paint, they weigh more than the resin. ;)

D.

Slaaneshi Slave
19-08-2007, 22:06
You make a good point!

I stuck a metal powerfist on one of my Red Scorpians and he wont stand up because the arm is too heavy... The arm was taken from a plastic model, which held its weight perfectly. Silly resin. They need to fill them with solid gold as this will make them slightly cheaper and give them a more sensible weight. :p

Foxx5
19-08-2007, 22:55
PLASTIC WINS

I hate metal, it is hard to glue, harder to paint and they only thing ggod is that usally there is less to put together on metal and the weight is cool as long as it is balanced.

Plastic stands better, you do have many more options, it has good detail easy to glue and paint. I prefer plastic.

I started hating metal after puttering together and reputting together a bloodthurster, techmarine with full servitor backpack and the side hurricane bolters on a land raider crusader, metal :mad:

Slaaneshi Slave
19-08-2007, 22:58
The only thing I like about plastic figures is the fact that you can undercoat them with black ink. :p

dcikgyurt
19-08-2007, 23:03
I'm really not fussed, I pick the models I need for my army and to h*ll with what they are made out of.

Rabid Bunny 666
19-08-2007, 23:24
I prefer plastic, as i'm a big fan of hacking stuff off, currently making Noise Marines out of Flagellant legs and Marine torsos :D

Shadowheart
20-08-2007, 00:14
The more plastic kits I assemble, the more I appreciate metals. I'm not big on conversions, mostly I buy models because I like them as is. Plastics add a lot of work in cleaning moldlines and assembly, which especially for my Guardsmen I don't really want to bother with.
Also, I think the variety that plastics offer is somewhat overrated - you're limited to only four or five different sets of parts, so while no two models will be exactly alike, you'll see the exact same parts over and over. And being made up of different part sets limitations of its own, especially to figures that aren't in armour.

That said, I don't dislike plastics, but for the stuff I collect, I prefer metal.

Davachido
20-08-2007, 06:04
Plastic all the way,
Easier to carry in large quantites, I think its easier to paint too.
Also customizing/converting is just a ton easier with plastic than it is with metal.
If I could have an all plastic army it'd be awesome, unfortunately you always need some metal somewhere in your army. If you play warmachine then that's all your models :cries:.

Drogmir
20-08-2007, 06:22
Go Resin!!!

I prefer plastics for the more common footmen and Metal for the personal heroes

sebster
20-08-2007, 06:23
Plastic all the way for me. Easier to assemble and lots more variety in the poses. Metal is fine for small units, but the repetition starts to look pretty boring for any troop taken en masse.

Plastic put together with plastic cement also covers up gaps without needing green stuff, and is less likely to fall apart in the middle of a game.

Arcanus
20-08-2007, 06:39
I like plastic for troops because to me, detail really doesn't matter on troops but on characters metal is the best because it makes them look amazing.

Colonel Fitzgerald
20-08-2007, 09:30
I prefer plastic myself - it's just as good as metal for detail imo & better still, the models tend not to slam into each other while being transported - so you get fewer breakeages (that's been my experience anyway. I was stunned the first time I saw a metal Space Marine snap its slottabase in two)

bungeeboy
20-08-2007, 09:37
IMO their all as good as eachother,

plastic-converting and major details
metal- the sheer weight makes it feel cool, and also the smaller details
resin- no experience, but forge world make's the best models :D