PDA

View Full Version : Which One Is The Hardest?

Sek
20-08-2007, 15:39
I'm wanting to seriously start getting into the hobby but I'm wanting to set myself up for steep learning curve as challenge, so I'm wanting to choose a hard army to win with but a also an interesting one to model/covert.

With all these I will be waiting for the relevant codexes to come out before I start designing any lists but in the mean time I want to start modeling.

So which one do you think suits the above criteria?

Sek

Mad Doc Grotsnik
20-08-2007, 15:45
I'd seriously suggest slowing down a bit there Pedro.

Go over the background of all the armies, and see what appeals to you most. No army is particularly hard to win with, it's just some are easier to lose with.

It strikes me you want to do this to shake off the Noob effect asap...thats not worth it.

Read up on each, and see what tickles your fancy most.

Sureshot05
20-08-2007, 15:56
I'd seriously suggest slowing down a bit there Pedro.

Go over the background of all the armies, and see what appeals to you most. No army is particularly hard to win with, it's just some are easier to lose with.

It strikes me you want to do this to shake off the Noob effect asap...thats not worth it.

Read up on each, and see what tickles your fancy most.

Sounds it up best. If your collecting an army, you want to be able to enjoy the playstyle and the background. The challenge comes from your opponent not from the list.

TwilightOdyssey
20-08-2007, 15:57
I think that any army will be difficult in the beginning. To deliberately try to make it harder on yourself will lead to a lot of frustration. There's already enough rules and codex flipping when you first start playing 40k!

The only way to really get a grasp on the rules and how each army plays as well as how your army plays against others (more important than the first) is to play a lot of games.

Perhaps that you are thinking that by using an eclectic army you can throw your opponent off balance? I can tell you, it's not the army that will win games, but tactics. A good opponent will exploit your army's weaknesses and your mistakes before you have a chance to recover.

That being said, I like the idea of trying to pick something a little different and off the garden path for your army, as it were.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
20-08-2007, 16:04
I think, as a Modeller, you'd have the most fun with either Feral Orks (lots of recutting limbs for primitive effect) or Lost and the Damned, for sheer anything goes nonsense.

SwordJon
20-08-2007, 16:22
In fact, considering how many people tend to tool up their lists for anti-Marine duty, starting regular marines may be more difficult to win with than starting Orks!

NallTWD
20-08-2007, 16:28
Right now? None of the above. All three are getting new rules fairly soon, so It'd be impossible to say. Wouldn't want you to waste a lot of effort now for the turn around later...

(Like my damned Tzeentch chosen.. *grumble grumble*)

gitburna
20-08-2007, 16:41
Go for orks! I know you want a steep learning curve but they will at least be forgiving in terms of casualties. In the meantime you have some great conversion opportunities [in my army at home i have at least 80% converted in some way] Top that off with a new codex coming out in the next 6 months [and the resultant new set off obstacles tyhat will provide for an opponent]

My advice if building the orks then is not to convert anything toooo specific...Big shootas, trukk/trak type vehicle, rokkit launchas, etc etc. Dont worry too much about efficiency, just have some fun. Dont convert yourself i dont know, a battlewagon with a zap kannon and deathroller and twin linked bigshootas etc and expect to use it though as that option *might* not be in the codex. There you go, some ideas to get you started.

Drogmir
20-08-2007, 16:56
I've gotten my ass kicked plenty times by a DE player.

They aren't hard just a different army.

Feral Orks sound like a bummer to play though.

bungeeboy
20-08-2007, 17:13
decide yourself, if you think an army's hard in general, then it's probable you wont like the army.

ease yourself in with whatever looks best, then make it harder by using special rule's more frequently and getting more advanced units.

there's no such thing as a hard army, mainly just hard units :)

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
20-08-2007, 17:28
go go LatD - go proper chaos !

jfrazell
20-08-2007, 18:08
I would not procure an army that’s not:
1) a direct codex army
2) recently done.

This eliminates LATD, speed freaks, or feral orks. Orks are the best for conversion fun, but I would not build an Ork army until the Ork codex in completed and in your greedy little paws.

Another alternative is to take the rules from an existing list and develop an entirely new force. If you wanted to play Captain converter this is an ideal solution. Some ideas:

*Using the Tau (too easy) or Eldar codex to represent a technologically advanced xenos or even imperium unit (think Am list or an advanced tech Imperium world list).

*Using the Inquisition dexes to create a mercenary list. Utilize their allies function (or use them as allies for marines/guard) for a unique force.

*Guard codex to represent some sort fo traitor guard units.

*Nid codex or guard codex with warrior weapons for a feral guard or Slaan unit.

Vaktathi
20-08-2007, 18:32
I'd say at the current time: Orks.

Feral Orks and Speed Freaks are decent, as is LaTD.

Dark Eldar are very hard to play well and alot depends on opponents list and terrain layout, but are capable of utterly devestating opponents very quickly if done correctly.

That said, the new Ork codex is due out in January which will help ALOT. After that I'd say the Dark Eldar will be the hardest to play well, but they are capable of pulling off some rather spectacular things (24 Wyches eating through 60 Genestealers and 3 lictors and a broodlord with a retinue was a rather cool sight) but at the same time are also hideously vulnerable to any sort of shooting.

jfrazell
20-08-2007, 20:30
I'd say at the current time: Orks.

Feral Orks and Speed Freaks are decent, as is LaTD.

Dark Eldar are very hard to play well and alot depends on opponents list and terrain layout, but are capable of utterly devestating opponents very quickly if done correctly.

That said, the new Ork codex is due out in January which will help ALOT. After that I'd say the Dark Eldar will be the hardest to play well, but they are capable of pulling off some rather spectacular things (24 Wyches eating through 60 Genestealers and 3 lictors and a broodlord with a retinue was a rather cool sight) but at the same time are also hideously vulnerable to any sort of shooting.

Of course, if GW has taught us anything, it has taught us only to use main codex armies that are recently done, else they are liable to termination at any time-as the LATD list was most recently done.