PDA

View Full Version : Starting LotR (again) - not much space

Odin
20-08-2007, 17:06
I keep meaning to get started on LotR, and never seem to get around to it. But Iím moving into a smaller house next weekend, and I need to put most of my GW stuff into storage. So I need to get myself a small 4íx4í board, enough to play a couple of smallish GW games on it. LotR works particularly well at skirmish level, and it seems an ideal game to play on a smaller board.

BUT nobody I know really plays LotR, so my plan is to have two small forces, one good, one evil. That way, all I need is an opponent, which is not a problem.

One of my favourite things about LotR is the background, so I want two forces that are likely to be fighting each other regularly. The most obvious options are Rohan v Isengard, and Gondor v Mordor. I already have 24 men of Minas Tirith, so that seems the most obvious choice, and I like the idea of fighting over the ruins of Osgiliath.

I want a good variety of troops, while still having a coherent force. I donít want to just have Minas Tirith infantry, but equally I donít want a themeless mess. My thoughts are to go with something along these lines:

Gondor

Captain with heavy armour & shield

17 Men of Minas Tirith Ė 1 with banner, 8 with shields, 8 with spears & shields

8 Rangers with Bows

Mordor

Orc Captain with light armour & shield

25 Orcs Ė 1 with banner, 8 with shields, 8 with spears, 8 with bows

5 Uruks with two-handed weapons

Iíll have to check out the points later, but I think thatís about even. The rangers and uruks add a bit of flavour. Seems a bit of a waste to have the Minas Tirith archers and not use them, but with Rangers and Citadel Guard (with Longbows!) available, itís difficult to choose the bog-standard guys.

Just thought Iíd see if anyone had any suggestions?

Pertinax
20-08-2007, 19:37
That looks like a very good start. It's pleasing to see that somebody plans to collect both armies at the start.

Personally, I'd change the quantity of the Uruks to suit the blisters. They come in 3's, usually with one 2H weapon uruk, and 2 with hand weapon. They don't come with shields.

Go for it!
(And I'm completely with you on the MT archers thing!)

Cal585
21-08-2007, 10:06
Otherwise you could try adding even more vairety like 3 Uruks and 3 Morannon Orcs (I'm thinking metals here) and likewise a combination of Rangers and Citadel Guard or Guard of the Fountain Court. I agree with Pertinax that you probably want to try and list thigns around whats available in terms of availability. It doesn't usually make too much of a difference in terms of game play.

Expansions to those forces later on could be some Warg Riders and Knights of Minas Tirith (6 each, both plastic, both similar costs) and that would add some mroe tactics and variation into the game play by adding cavalry.

Odin
21-08-2007, 10:39
Good point of the cavalry. In fact it was waiting for plastic knights of Minas Tirith that made me delay doing my Gondor army a year or so ago.

The Warg Riders will be useful when I start an Isengard force as well.

Odin
21-08-2007, 16:29
Personally, I'd change the quantity of the Uruks to suit the blisters. They come in 3's, usually with one 2H weapon uruk, and 2 with hand weapon. They don't come with shields.

I assumed they were all two-handed weapons (just carried in one hand when not fighting). Seems a bit of a waste to spend points on an Uruk and then not equip him with anything other than the basic hand weapon. Perhaps I will convert them to have longer handles so it is clear they are meant to be two-handed weapons.

Came up with some force ideas for Rohan v Isengard, just to see which I prefer:

Rohan

Captain with Heavy Armour, Shield, Throwing Spears & Horse

Captain with Light Armour, Shield & Horse

3 Rohan Royal Guard with Throwing Spears & Horses

3 Outriders with Horses

13 Riders of Rohan, inc. 1 with Banner & 4 with Throwing Spears

Isengard Scout Force

Uruk-Hai Captain with Light Armour & Shield

24 Uruk-Hai Scouts, inc. 8 with Shields & 8 with Bows

Orc Captain with Shield & Warg

6 Warg Riders, inc. 2 with Throwing Spears & 2 with Bows

...think those should be around the same points value (around 425). And both I think nicely represent likely skirmish/scouting forces. They can both be upped to 500 points with the addition of another 6 Rohirrim and either 6 more Warg Riders or 6 Berzerkers.

Pertinax
21-08-2007, 17:18
You've done this before, haven't you? :p

Seriously, I think that those lists there are rock solid and ready to go. I really wound't change anything in them until you'ave had a chance to play them, and see how the thing feels.

Odin
21-08-2007, 18:59
You've done this before, haven't you? :p

Seriously, I think that those lists there are rock solid and ready to go. I really wound't change anything in them until you'ave had a chance to play them, and see how the thing feels.

Cheers. From someone who is such a regular poster on the LotR section, that's quite reassuring.

The one potential problem with Rohan is the cost. Not only are the mounted models more expensive, but you also need to have versions on foot for when the horses get killed.

I reckon I'll start with Minas Tirith and Mordor then.

Pertinax
21-08-2007, 22:57
Sounds like a plan!

With the Rohan figures, all you need to get is the extra box of warriors. It then gives you an extra flexibility then, allowing you to field foot warriors as well/instead of mounted. Which can be pretty fun too sometimes.

Odin
23-08-2007, 14:09
I was wondering about the uruk-hai scouts - what do people think of them. For just one point more, you can have fighting uruk-hai, with +1 Defence. for the guys armed with shields, that means S3 enemies need a 6 to wound rather than a 5 - half as many wounds! To be honest, I'm more interested in the theme rather than being hugely competitive, but that seems like a big difference.

One thing I feel is missing from LotR (and Warhammer actually) is any sort of penalty for having heavy armour. Surely models with heavy armour ought to be slightly slower, or find it harder to climb stuff and move through difficult ground?

Perhaps troops like Uruk-hai scouts and Rangers of Gondor should have an advantage for moving through terrain?

Pertinax
23-08-2007, 14:22
I agree that there should be some form of benefit, but you don't want to make the Woodland creatures, like the elves. But I'm not sure how to go about it.

On the topic of scouts contra armoured uruks, I'd go for the armoured ones any day. For just one point, they do a lot more.

Odin
23-08-2007, 15:08
On the topic of scouts contra armoured uruks, I'd go for the armoured ones any day. For just one point, they do a lot more.

That's what I thought.

Still, I'm playing for fun, not competitiveness, so I'll stick with the scouts. I'll probably expand by adding some of the armoured guys later.

Kroot Lord
24-08-2007, 20:12
Scouts can ally with quite some different Evil forces then Uruks.

other then that they pretty much are rather useless except for Vrashku who is definatly in my top something list for effectiveness for points! So you take Legions of the WHite hand with a captain or 1/2, Vrashku and a witchking.

I think those lists are all excellently themed and will look great on the table top and will really introduce you and your opponent(s) well to the game, although not tournament good, they are very, very nice to play a fun and good looking, themed battle with!

I like the fact that your armies include the basic "command" (captains and banner) followed by just a single box of warriors (gondor, orcs etc) and then a few elite units (mordor uruk-hai, rangers).

The first two lists are the basic ones that you should start with explaining heroes (stand fast, might will and fate) and basic warriors and weapons (fighting on foot, spears, bows, shields, two-handed weapons, defence value, shoot value etc).

The last two lists are the more "advanced" lists including mounted heroes, mounts, shooting against or with them, charging and being charged and having warriors with a different fv and strength then most (uruk-hai). I would however suggest adding Sharku instead of the mounted Orc captain to also introduce the consept of named heroes with often a tad better stats then captains, or some warriors (beregrond, damrod).

If you're looking at other lists:
Dwarves vs Moria Goblins (shows consept of high defence and overall above average stats of Dwarves)
Wood Elves vs creepy thigns (spiders, bats, wargs. shows consept of elves with higher courage and fv against creatures with lots of different rules such as poison, numbers)
Dol Amroth against Haradrim (Mumak and metal models)