PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the new Deamon Prince Rules

cuda1179
21-08-2007, 05:05
I only somewhat remember the original 3rd edition Chaos codex. However, it seems like the new deamon prince is VERY similar to how it was 8 years ago.

After the 3rd edition codex was released so many people found the deamon prince was too bland and optionless. So, in a white dwarf article (and later a chapter approved anual) they included about two dozen more options for deamon princes.

Does anyone think GW will learn from past errors and possibly release another list of additional options?

jazzdude78
21-08-2007, 05:51
no not really, while yes options are fun, most DPs made during the 3.5 dex ended up being pretty much what the current one is

the only thing I really dislike thats missing from the DP is no daemon weapons

BDJV
21-08-2007, 05:56
The only thing I'll miss is Daemonic speed.

grizzly ruin
21-08-2007, 06:13
I only somewhat remember the original 3rd edition Chaos codex. However, it seems like the new deamon prince is VERY similar to how it was 8 years ago.

After the 3rd edition codex was released so many people found the deamon prince was too bland and optionless. So, in a white dwarf article (and later a chapter approved anual) they included about two dozen more options for deamon princes.

Does anyone think GW will learn from past errors and possibly release another list of additional options?

No probably not.

Because this time around the Daemon Prince stands head and shoulders above the rest of the HQs, and you can take two of them.

If the lack of options drives people away from anything, it will be the list as a whole.

Sovereign
21-08-2007, 07:11
I hope GW learns from past errors and leaves the options alone!

Reaver83
21-08-2007, 08:07
i personally miss t5 (6) made a dp a very suvivable option

Scythe
21-08-2007, 09:55
i personally miss t5 (6) made a dp a very suvivable option

You can still have that one if you take the mark of nurgle (better, actually, since you are immuune to instant kill).

The thing I really dislike tough is that wings are STILL a no-brainer option. Come on, 20 points? Everyone took them before at that price. Hive Tyrants pay 40 points for it, and even at that price most Tyranid players take it. Why would you even concider a walking Daemon Prince?

Slaaneshi Slave
21-08-2007, 10:58
I think the point is they want you to take a Winged Prince, but give you the option of not taking one, at a slightly reduced price.

Randy
21-08-2007, 11:48
That's thepoint though - it's such a small concession that it's not worth it.

Slaaneshi Slave
21-08-2007, 11:50
20 Points is enough to get a Lascannon in a squad. Its quite a lot.

Scythe
21-08-2007, 11:57
This, of course, begs the simple question why? The two 40K Daemon Prince models do not have wings...

I am not really complaining about the overall pts cost of the model tough, more of the unwinged vs winged version. It wouldn't have hurt to make the unwinged daemon prince 20 pts cheaper...

Slaaneshi Slave
21-08-2007, 12:03
But the unwinged Daemon Prince version is 20 points cheaper... They obviously realised they needed to do rules for a ground pounding Daemon Prince, since they have models, so they let you take one for 20 points off the standard (just like SoB Rhinos cost 58 points standard with smokes and armour, you can take them for 50 points without them, if you really want to. :p).

Scythe
21-08-2007, 12:20
I mean another 20 points discount on top of that, naturally. ;)

I mean, they are trying to balance out the pricing on a lot of options in the later codexes, also on the rhino you mention. After all, Chaos and DA/BA now get their rhinos with smoke as standard, and extra armour isn't that cheap anymore to make it compulsory.

Slaaneshi Slave
21-08-2007, 12:52
It still is compulsory on a mech army though, the point of Rhinos is a syncronised assault, so if you lose two Rhinos to Crew Stunned results on the first turn you have as good as lost. :p