PDA

View Full Version : Vostroyans any good?

Terminator chaplain
21-08-2007, 05:56
I have been thinking about expanding into IG, but not those wimpy cadians. i was thinking either the death korps or vostroyans. The question is: do those troops have the killing skills that they look like they have? Can they be fielded on their own, or as elites. Are their special rules for them? I am only asking these questions because i don't want to spend the money on them and find out the only thing they are good for is my brothers' Imperial stormtroopers. Thanks for the help (and i meant nothing bad toward the cadians).

FunkyCommissar
21-08-2007, 06:03
vostroyans are just guard models that looks extraordinarily cool, although I believe they have their own preferred assault / heavy weapons and doctrines the way the other guard units in the codex do
i think they have, IIRC: carapace, hardened fighters, sharpshooters, and some others I cant remember

Ktotwf
21-08-2007, 06:09
I think they are the least appealing of the various Guard Regiments, but a lot of people tend to bust a nut over them.

It is a matter of personal preference I guess.

pookie
21-08-2007, 09:26
I have been thinking about expanding into IG, but not those wimpy cadians. i was thinking either the death korps or vostroyans. The question is: do those troops have the killing skills that they look like they have? Can they be fielded on their own, or as elites. Are their special rules for them? I am only asking these questions because i don't want to spend the money on them and find out the only thing they are good for is my brothers' Imperial stormtroopers. Thanks for the help (and i meant nothing bad toward the cadians).

lol, Killing Skills, what they dazzle you with a torch and then bash you with a stick? lol :D, couldnt help that

IG in general are a fun army (if you like hordes of your men to die), other than the Doctrines there really isnt much diffrence ( other than model range ) in which army you go for, wether it be DKoK or Vostroyans (or even those Whimpy cadians). depends which you pref/cost etc.

if you like the vostroyans go for them, but check the range has what you want in your force ( i dont think they have all of the types of heavy weps for example).

Mojaco
21-08-2007, 09:36
They have carapace armour, which is generally considered overpriced. But you can just ignore that ofcourse.

Go for them. They're the best looking guard (yes, even Deathkorps is less cool. IMO ofcourse)

Puddy
21-08-2007, 12:17
Play with Doctrines!

Carapace Armour, Sharpshooters, Hardened Fighters, Special Weapon Squads.
The last one is usually Heavy Weapon Platoons, but is often used to get one doctrine of choice in for say... rough riders.

Axel
21-08-2007, 12:42
I use my Vostroyans as standins for the stormtroopers, both in my WH list (splendid white and silver) and for my Valhallans (muddy soviet green/brown with gold).
I don`t think that a whole army with carapce works well, though. But if you field three units of stormtroopers and three as grenadiers you can have to pay the carapce just for the HQ.