PDA

View Full Version : My dirty fantasy

scratchbuilt
21-08-2007, 16:18
It would be great, if GW red shirt monkeys would paint your models for you, for a price. You could give them your color schemes/ etc. The quality would be much better than a factory paint job (though it wouldn't have to be super duper). Yes it would cost a lot. But if GW where making cash that way they would need to charge so much for the models. And there are definately some customers who can afford it. All the kids whose parents want them to shut up, so buy them off with models for example ;)

Crube
21-08-2007, 16:19
Hey, have a word with a local redshirt, they may take commisions on the side anyway...;)

mav1971
21-08-2007, 16:41
I always thought it'd be nice if I had a clone who'd stay home and paint while I was at work. He'd have all my memories and would think like me so as to paint the models like I'd paint them. Better yet he'd go to work and I stay home and paint.

asmodai_dark86
21-08-2007, 17:31
Or you could do it the normal way - give the people in MP&T a shout and see if you get anyone cheap enough

Lord Malek The Red Knight
21-08-2007, 18:08
It would be great, if GW red shirt monkeys would paint your models for you, for a price. You could give them your color schemes/ etc. The quality would be much better than a factory paint job (though it wouldn't have to be super duper). Yes it would cost a lot. But if GW where making cash that way they would need to charge so much for the models. And there are definately some customers who can afford it. All the kids whose parents want them to shut up, so buy them off with models for example ;)
i have a similar fantasy, where you could buy a box of models and pay extra to have all the parts clipped off the sprues and cleaned so that all the bits of flash and the mold lines are removed, so that when you pick them up the following week they are all ready for you to assemble them. :D

~ Tim

scratchbuilt
21-08-2007, 18:45
Or you could do it the normal way - give the people in MP&T a shout and see if you get anyone cheap enough

I don't understand. Though I have faint images of dollops of paint ruining my models. Whose MP&T?

simonr1978
21-08-2007, 18:51
I believe it's short for Modelling Painting and Terrain, see here:

http://warseer.com/forums/m-p-t-general-discussion/

asmodai_dark86
21-08-2007, 20:51
Aye its a good board and theres plenty of comission painters there.

At the end of the day, theres plenty of people who make money out of this hobby, and if your willing to pay you can get anything you want. The main problm you'll have though is thinking its a cheap and quick process - it rarely is

ozzfan
21-08-2007, 21:08
Don't people paint their own armies anymore? Painting/modelling is 50%+ of the hobby, enjoy it; and if you don't, then play with cardboard cut-outs.

*Back in my day, grumble grumble grumble, Britain, foreigners go home, BNP, grumble grumble grumble...*

simonr1978
21-08-2007, 22:22
Some people simply do not have the time, patience, skill or interest in painting. Personally I do enjoy painting and modelling but I have nowhere near enough time to do so on any kind of a regular basis with the other commitments on my time.

I'd still rather paint my own figures, but I respect the decision of those who're willing to or who would just prefer to commission someone else to take care of that side of things for them rather than use cardboard cut-outs or unpainted/undercoated figures or labour over a chore that they find tedious or worse.

It's 50% of your view of your hobby, not necessarily a view shared by everyone else.

For as long as I've been involved in wargaming (1992) and before that there have been people offering painting services so it's not exactly that recent a phenomena.

Griefbringer
22-08-2007, 06:44
It would be great, if GW red shirt monkeys would paint your models for you, for a price. You could give them your color schemes/ etc. The quality would be much better than a factory paint job (though it wouldn't have to be super duper). Yes it would cost a lot. But if GW where making cash that way they would need to charge so much for the models.

There are lots of small, commercial painting services out there.

However, for GW to run such service on their stores would not probably be practical, and not probably very profitable either (and forget about them lowering prices of other products if it was) - there would be need for extra labour, and extra working space for it in the stores, and all of the redshirts should be tested out to conform to company minimum quality standards for the paint jobs (to ensure minimum quality, in a standard time per model).

On the practical side, predicting the amount of such custom paint job orders could be tricky - at times they might end up getting so swamped in orders that they would either need to refuse new orders (which the customers and/or management would not like) or they would need to take exceedingly long times to finish them (again, customers and/or management would not like). Smaller painting companies can afford more flexibility on this.

As for expenses, remember that even the lowly red shirts need to be paid by hour - consider the overheads and the need to produce some profit, and compare this to the time needed per miniature, and the results do not come cheap. Again, small dedicated painting services are likely to be competitive (more experience, cheaper working space, less other distractions, less management/lower overheads etc.).

BTW: TMP has a good directory of existing commercial painting services: http://theminiaturespage.com/paintserv/

grickherder
22-08-2007, 09:25
I used to do commission table top quality painting for the retail price of the model. Every surface would be cleanly painted, one damp-brush/overbrush highlight coat, one wash and then the whole thing sealed. Got a few free armies out of that.

Then one of my regulars brought me 10 regiment boxes of skaven. Despite the fact that I got them done in good time, it was totally not worth it and turned me off of commission painting.

If I did it again, I'd refuse most WFB jobs for one. I'd also demand them assembled beforehand.

Sleazy
22-08-2007, 12:53

Not if they paint like the monkeys in my local store!

Brushmonkey
23-08-2007, 11:22
I've been doing commission work for the last 10 years and it has had it's ups and downs. In the last year I have moved to doing it full time. 10 boxes of Skaven certainly brings back some nightmares of my own!

Deadlines can be tough, especiallywhen whole armies are involved.

I can't see GW going for the idea. The staff they would need to employ would far outstrip the profits made from ok painted figures! Add to that the loss of sales from hobby equipment and the loss one of their best advertising tools (the free painting lessons) and they are are a downer.

Interesting comment from Lord Malek. What would you resonably pay to have someone carry out that service?

The Judge
23-08-2007, 13:21
In the past, I painted for the redshirts! The staff weren't very good at painting, and a bit busy because they were a man short, so the manager paid me to paint the display models for the store. I got paid in models, equivalent to the price of the model I had painted (so if I painted a squad, I would get 18 worth of free stuff).

Nowadays I paint for the veterans, usually at half the price of the miniature's worth, or a flat tenner for a regiment box. So far, I think I've painted around seven full armies for other people.

scratchbuilt
23-08-2007, 13:54
I would feel much better about bringing my models to someone, and being able to see his work, demonstrate to him what I want done etc, than just stick them in a box and send them of to someone, who might totally misinterpret my instructions.

Just for reference, I live in London

Apologist
23-08-2007, 14:49
For every gamer, there is a painter; for every painter, there is a gamer.
PM sent, monsieur. :p

Griefbringer
25-08-2007, 11:45
I would feel much better about bringing my models to someone, and being able to see his work, demonstrate to him what I want done etc.

Fair point. In that case, the solution is to look for painting services that are close enough to pop a physical visit - I am quite sure that most painting services would be perfectly happy with you bringing and fetching the miniatures in person (which would also reduce the hassle with packing and posting stuff).

Drawback for the customer would be that the choice is limited to what is around - cheapest or best services might be in the other end of the country.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
25-08-2007, 15:13
Interesting comment from Lord Malek. What would you resonably pay to have someone carry out that service?
well at the minute all my money goes on nappies and baby clothes (:D), but when I am buying models, i would probably pay anywhere up to the value of the boxed set for the service (altough i wouldnt bother for big simple things like tanks etc - i would reserve it for boxes with lots of fiddly little components, like SM Tactical Squads etc).

my biggest turn off is sitting down and cleaning all the mold lines off all the pieces before I can start doing the fun stuff (i.e. actually sticking them together, posing the models etc). Im a bit of a perfectionist too, so it takes me ages, and my enthusiasm usually starts to dwindle before I have finished. :(
it would be worth doubling the cost of the models just to be able to open a box and have all the different bits clipped and cleaned (meticulously) and divided into separate little drawers so i could just start building whenever i feel inspired (even if i paid myself minimum wage to do it, it would cost me more than what the models are worth).

Im not a huge fan of painting (never have been), but i would much rather spend my time doing that than filing bits (at least painting is creative, and gives you something to show for your efforts the more you do). and unlike when you pay someone to paint a model for you (or buy ready painted second hand models), you could be proud of the finished item (as you did all the visible and creative work). :)

~ Tim

3 0f 6
25-08-2007, 16:21
i feel your pain man, last time i ventured to gw exeter vet night i attempted to clean up all the bits to assemble 16 hormies..... man that took all vet evening....seriously though, i feel that my problem with painting gw models(and prob similar to everyone elses problem) is that i have high expectations and cant paint them to that standard.... not only that it takes me ages to paint models... which is stupid... i mean i ve been complemented many a time on my painting.. but to be fair i dont highlight... i just paint on the colours... some watered down some as they come, with my iron warriors i actually spent time washing the models so they were not shiny shiny shiny.
i know peeps can spend weeks painting one model for GD standard, and others i know can paint to eavy metal standard+ in less time it takes me to paint to my standard (which pains me) so basicly i m saying the problem is that i m less willing to spend the time painting with lower results, i keep being told practice makes perfect... but hell..... time is time...