PDA

View Full Version : When do you bring out the heavy hitters?

Cry of the Wind
21-08-2007, 17:30
I've been writting list for my Tower of Ecthelion army recently and have been playing around with Boromir and Gandalf the White. I was wondering at what points value do you bring out your 200+pts characters and why?

I determined after playing around with the model count of the armies that less than 750pts seemed too small for any character costing over 200pts. I just didn't have enough bodies for objectives and to for an army. To me it also seems odd for power house characters in smaller games unless for a special scenario.

Oberon
21-08-2007, 17:46
How many over 200pts characters are there?? Gandalf the white, aragorn kitted out, boromir with his mega-expensive uber-banner, maybe treebeard and thatīs about it for the good guys. Dragon, balrog, witchking, sauron for the baddies. 700+ for those, but I think characters from 100+ are "heavy hitters" and I take them after hitting 400pts mark.

Pertinax
21-08-2007, 22:55
I usually take a character of 100-150 points in a game up to 500 points. But it all depends what I want to play. Recently, I've been playing hero based armies.

That said, the concept of "heavy hitter" isn't always connected to the points. 3/1/1 heroes are, in my book, heavy hitters, and they usually clock in about 60-80 points.

Ddraiglais
22-08-2007, 23:03
I was never big on characters. For heavy hitters, I use trolls, mumakils, and/or artillery. When I played, I always tried to include at least one big guy in there. For S&G I even had a 1000 point all troll army. It didn't win for me, but it was fun to play. I still haven't decided if I want to come back to the game and play with the new rules yet so I have no idea if I would still use the big guys or maybe use a character or two.

Neknoh
23-08-2007, 00:37
well, when heaving out everything we've got combined for massive battles, we are talking evil forces of over a hundred Uruks, joined by nearly as many Orcs and Goblins, and then, it is all supported by the Nine, one of whom rides a Fellbeast, all of which have full M, W and F. However, appart from the nine, both Sauron (with Ring of course) and Balrog join the fray for the badguys

The goodguys haul out Boromir of the White Tower, Aragorn King Ellessar, Gandalf the White and both Elrond, Gil-Galad and elrond's sons. Elendil and Isildur have also been known to pop in for a slugfest or two.

These battles are EPIC to say the least, it takes half an hour to move a side, but it's worth it, so worth it

Kroot Lord
24-08-2007, 20:16
Well seeing as there aren't too many "heavy hitters" according to your book (200+) I go for the what, light, hitters? Basicly Imrahil/Boromir, Gandalf, Dain, Balin, Gimli, Durin, Ballistae's etc, or with Hobbits for example a huge amount of Dunedain (as much as I can untill I have to start sacrificing my model count- it always has to be max model count for me!)

Shadowphrakt
29-08-2007, 12:41
whatever mission i play, i break out the big gunz. My favourite choice is elladan and elrohir on horse and glorfindel on horse, OWNAGE!!!

Long_Fang
03-09-2007, 07:07
As long as I can get pretty close to the LOME warrior max, different for each points bracket, I will fill the rest with big hitters (armies permitting).

For my goblins I always have at least 2 big hitters. For my Easterlings, maybe one.

brettz123
05-09-2007, 19:37
I would consider anyting over 80pts to be a pretty big hitter personally. So I agree any 3/1/1 is gonna tear some stuff up. And a lot of 100-200 point models can just about take on anything. 200 pt characters I usually don't take unless I am going for 1000 pts though.