PDA

View Full Version : clever things done to minies who turned out not to be so clever after all

nazrag
22-08-2007, 16:55
Hello

Just thought I'd ask this question :)

For me it would be letting my girlfriend paint several of my guardsmen pink! :rolleyes:

So lets hear it! conversions gone wrong, painting errors etc...

Randy
22-08-2007, 17:32
If converting a guy to carry a plasma pistol and power sword which duly fell off constantly counts then yes.. My mascot originally nicknamed pokey for single handedly killing a daemon prince on the charge counts..

Now he's known as "stumpy". You can guess what went wrong... I gave up after fixing him for the 20th time :P

Captain Micha
22-08-2007, 17:49
Randy, I have an orc in fantasy battle named stumpy.

Before he inexplicably lost a leg, the orcs always lost against the empire... now nothing but victory.

I'd say that screw up has turned out quite well *L*

llama rider
22-08-2007, 17:52
my friend has an army of orks that have orange and yellow skin, purple and white tigerstriped pants, and bright green shootas. also i have a friend who made a devestator with flamers for arms and smoke launchers for hands.

Rathillir
22-08-2007, 18:25
Years ago I wanted to convert a metal wraithlord so that it was doing this crazy high kick. I sawed the torso in half and realized that there was no feasible way to connect such a top heavy body to the legs with such a thin waist.

In an effort to simply fix it, I used Tamiya modeling putty and slapped it all over the torso area to repair it. It worked fine, and I left it to stand overnight.

In the morning, the putty had buckled under the weight of the wraithlord's head, so now his body was drooping over, the putty frozen solid.

I have since gotten a new wraithlord, but my closest gamer friends always remember the "old, depressed wraithlord".

I'm happy to say I don't convert anymore - I derive enough joy from painting.

UncleCrazy
22-08-2007, 18:48
There is guy here in Taiwan that made an Orc to look like Richard Simmons (i think that is his name) You know the white guy with an afro that does the work up videos with the bad music and the really fat people.

I think the best is when one of my friends painted his Fex with finger nail polish and it turn out a peach color.

killa kan kaus
22-08-2007, 18:49
A friend of mine left a obliterator in a backpack for a while and the glue failed it all fell apart and in a backpack furnace the autocannon melted and is now a U which curved around to point at his own model.

Ailaros
22-08-2007, 18:56
The dumbest thing I did was a series of conversions for a conversion competition. I spend two long weeks doing some 20-odd conversions to the model. The problem was that all of the conversions were so relatively minor and seemless that people couldn't figure out what I had done and I wound up 4th place behind someone who had pulled something together in 30 minutes.

dybbukdude
22-08-2007, 19:58
one of my friends wanted to put some extra crisis sprue on a drone and field it as a crisis

killa kan kaus
22-08-2007, 21:02
one of my "friends" am i right dybbukdude?

bungeeboy
22-08-2007, 22:32
i have a SM lord, unpainted, powersword, and a meltagun that won't go on, i gabe up, and squewered him on my chaos rhino :)

[SD] Bob Plisskin
22-08-2007, 23:45
first minis I got was a squad of chaos marines, I decided to model them holding two guns, a bolter in one hand and a pistol in the other, since my conversion skills where non-existant I didn't cut the wrists and twist the hand so it would grip the gun upright, instead the bolters are held sideways like some sort of john woo slow-mo thing. Luckily I decided all my troops were berzerkers after that, although with the new codex I may have to do something about them...

ehlijen
22-08-2007, 23:51
I was trying to model to marines firing out the side hatches of a Rhino. After I left it standing overnight for the glue to dry, they both fell apart and ended up glued to the floor of the passenger compartment. So I glued in all the hatches to forever hide that debacle....by which I mean: It never happened!
The vehicle then went on to become 'HQ-magnet' my vindicator with the habbit of scattering 12" off target to get that pesky character hiding in the woods somewhere out of range....not that I was complaining :D

Chaplain Ark
23-08-2007, 00:20
i tried to create my own black templar units without the upgrade sprue. Everything went to hell. my work table looks like some marines are trying to come back from a warp portal in the table top

Chaplain Ark
23-08-2007, 00:24
and for another oldschool metal wraithlord, i tried to convert it so its hands were in fist coming down to crush a SM like in Dow, only one arm fell off and wont go back on, the other are somehow dried way higher then i wanted, and now it looks like the wraithlord is reeling back from getting his arm chopped off by the SM 's chainsword. I scraped the whole thing and sold it on ebay as a, and i quote, fixer upper converted wraithlord.

dark_horizons80
23-08-2007, 02:00
Hmmm that ones easy.
The most stupid thing I've done was to collect half a million skulls, looked in the catalogue an then realised most of the goodies for uk where tat, got that 3 marines with banner model, among others. When't to put together, it was warped and kept on falling apart, got annoyed an next thing it was in a few moree peaces with the help of mr clippers! Not bright idea!

Sovereign
23-08-2007, 02:28
Years ago I wanted to convert a metal wraithlord so that it was doing this crazy high kick. I sawed the torso in half and realized that there was no feasible way to connect such a top heavy body to the legs with such a thin waist.
Um, I did this without any problem.

You simply needed to pin the upper body to the lower body, gluing the joint with epoxy putty. :D

Alessander
23-08-2007, 03:55
When varnish/stain dipping was the rage with Tyranids, I tried it on a few gaunts and the effect was wonderful. I had a really deep colored stain, and it turned my bright green model into a wonderful dark green monster.

I tried it with my Servitors and Necromunda Pit Slaves, again to great effect. The stain and varnish made them look grubby and covered in oil and sweat.

I tried it on about 3 dozen of my Eldar models, and it ruined them. They look like crap. Eldar are meant to look crisp and clean, not dark and grimy. Big mistake. Fifteen banshees now look like they were mud wrestling, and fire dragons that look like they were roasted to long. Only one that looks slightly good is the Avatar, but the Wraithlord looks like crap.

23-08-2007, 04:08
[QUOTE=Alessander;1849744] Fifteen banshees now look like they were mud wrestling, [QUOTE]

so what aspect are the bookies?:D

I once told my wife (she was on a trip) that I left some HE metal chariots out to dry and my cat got it stuck to his face.

although it didn't happen we both laugh as we try adn picture it

EmperorEternalXIX
23-08-2007, 05:45
My first conversion was a home-made combi-melta sergeant. It looks phenomenal and is totally seamless -- by dumb luck, of course.

Then I found out combi-meltas could only be a melta once per game, and now never use him.

Reece
23-08-2007, 06:15
I was painting stuff up for my Tzeentch Lost and the Damned army. I had a lot of luck with wet blending. I painted up some dragon (Galrog?) wings on the side of a Hellhound and they look awesome going from blue to red.

Then I decided I wanted to try painting the chasis of my converterd Bassie. It's got a Hellcannon for the gun. I decided I wanted to blend from green all the way to red. Green > Yellow > Orange > Red. While the blending went well, the end result looked like a gay pride parade float. My next mistake was to take it to the local shop and use it in a game... *sigh*

Melchiah
23-08-2007, 06:24
I tried to give the old 3rd ed SM captain the new plastic boxed force commander lightening claw, and it doesnt fit and with blue tac, the 2 piese looked horribly mis-sized :confused:

fwacho
23-08-2007, 10:12
I was painting a Tau army and was gogin to go with a deep purple/ tan color scheme. my test paint just didn't like the real sandy tan so I opted for a real orangy tan (usually my leather color for my marines). i also made the mistake of painting the colors so thick that it took 2-3 coats to get my base colors down (that adds hours to painting time) Still I pressed on and did a whole army in the scheme in a very crisp look. but my wife calls them my orange men and shakes her head every time she looks ate them. ( you can actually see them in my gallery.)

LawrencePhillips
23-08-2007, 10:50
I decided to paint my marines bright yellow over a black base coat... 8 coats later they look alright

Rlyehable
23-08-2007, 12:38
My first conversion was meant to be a Crisis suit firing plasma rifles as it jumped back (ala martial arts movie of your choice).
Here (http://www.cygnusx1.info/tau/pict.asp?pict=crisis3_side.jpg&caption=Crisis%20Suit%203%20-%20Side%20Unpainted) is the result.

Another one was I tried to model a leaping hormagaunt so that it was leaping over the other brood members to attack an enemy. It worked great. It is in perfect position. However it has two problems. 1. they tends to bounce. So it promptly was nicknamed the "bobble-head gaunts". 2. When picked up the base tends to sway and either knock down or pick up other models in the brood.
Picture is here (http://www.cygnusx1.info/nids/pict.asp?i=leapinggaunt_fw.jpg&c=Leaping%20Gaunt%20and%20Fire%20Warrior).

As for bright marines, try these (http://www.cygnusx1.info/sm/kr/codexpictorial.asp).
Florescent yellow and orange halved. :eek:

Bookwrak
23-08-2007, 13:16
I converted my IG Rough Riders into bikers using the space marine scout bikes. I was so enthusiastic with assembling that I didn't check to make sure they could sit on the bikes while holding their lances. About half of them had to have the lance arm pried off and reglued.

Rathillir
23-08-2007, 15:24
Um, I did this without any problem.

You simply needed to pin the upper body to the lower body, gluing the joint with epoxy putty. :D

If you ever invent a time machine, it's officially your responsibility to go back in time and tell that to 15-year-old Rathillir. Also, tell him not to take OAC finite math...big mistake there.

nazrag
24-08-2007, 08:05
lots of fine stories here gentlemen :) but surely there must be more! ;)

alex03
24-08-2007, 08:23
Two from me. I've mentioned this before on warseer but it applies here as well.

I was doing a Blood Angels army in 2nd edition. In that edition you could arm the death company with whatever weapons you wanted. I liked the look of them all with powerfists, so that what all ten of them got. Then third edition rolled around and the rules changed.

At least now that they all just get rending I can pull them out again and not care.

Second also back in 2nd edition with the old VDR rules. I wanted my dreadnought to have a heavy bolter, to compliment its shorter ranged multimelta and its DCCW and give it some more longer ranged anti-infantry. I had a friend who was good with conversions add one on to the lower left under chest area by cutting & grinding away the targeter looking thing. He did a good job, too, I will add. Anyways once again third edition arrived soon after and out goes that. Still used it as a basic MM/DCCW dread.

Maybe with the new VDR rules it too may be fully utilized again...

Norminator
24-08-2007, 08:43
I decided to model a sergeant with two plasma pistols, not realising that infantry could only fire one weapon a turn (only playing Space Marines at the time it was something that had never occured to me, as all my troops only had one weapon each). However, initially I had tried to do it with a chainsword and a meltagun before realising meltaguns were not in the armoury - so by the time the two plasma pistols were attached (glued with drying out polystyrene cement), the joints were very weak. I hadn't discovered pinning either, so as you can imagine the join between the hand and the arm (at the wrists, no less) constantly snapped. That sergeant looked so good until I had finished with it :(

Lord Malek The Red Knight
24-08-2007, 12:47
In 2nd ed I converted my BA Chaplain's Crozius into a Power Axe. then I realised that the Crozius was better than the Axe and wasnt costing me any extra points... :o

~ Tim

ssgtdude
24-08-2007, 15:06
Some would say that my worse conversion is my Ogryn, but they are supposed to look like big beefy large breasted mama's honestly.

IMHO I had worked on a conversion for the Dark Eldar. Worked on it for about a month, greenstuff, plumbers putty, extra bits, etc... Now mind you this was before I had a work table and was sleeping on a couch.

Yep you guessed it. Woke up and proceeded to stand up on it. The sharp pokey bits let me know right away that I stepped on it, but not before it was broken down the hull of the hull of the skimmer. Back then I didn't have the skill to repair it, now I don't have it anymore.

Bunnahabhain
24-08-2007, 16:22
Lots of my early conversions are not good, but most are at least sensible.

I have various that do mainly just get laughed at. The IG officer with no weapons at all- swagger stick and binoculars- and the veteran sargent with las gun, and wielding a spade as a CC weapon come to mind.

yukisaiko
24-08-2007, 17:15
My command section Sister Superior I converted this week. It's the classic one where she's holding the bolter up in her left hand. Anyway, she's got a HUGE flash supressor on the bolter (Actually bigger than the gun it's mounted on), and then I decided to give her the orky style banner top with the 3 marine helmets on her backpack...