PDA

View Full Version : Ships of War

keudiven
22-08-2007, 20:33
I was thinking alot about sea battles having been inspired by the generals compendium. I was wondering how many of you players would be interested in GW producing ships for the various armies, as well as expanded rules for sea battles.

I made a few smaller ships myself, but the time involved as well as the workmanship left alot to be desired. I think there would be a market for something like this.

Speaking of which, do any of you make your own ships now? Do you know of any modelers who make them? ( possibly for sale? )

Any ideas in this field, please post below.

Hadhfang
22-08-2007, 20:40
Well there was the game manowar produced by GW whihc was naval battles for fantasy, though that was ages ago, and it's out of print now.

Though yes I would like a sea battle game very much.

Reticent
22-08-2007, 21:26
Manowar was great fun; kind of like a BFG for the seas.

Bringing that back would be fantastic.

lilljonas
22-08-2007, 22:54
If you are speaking about WHFB, I think it would do pretty badly as a naval game, since manouvering blocks of units are such a big part of the game. I don't see how it would portrait boarding actions and such in a good way. However, in smaller scale, such as Man-o-War, or as a setting for skirmish/mordheim (think Gorka-Morka but with pirates and traders!), it could be fun.

sulla
23-08-2007, 06:30
I'm not too interested. Even if GW brought out plastic ships, they would still be too pricey for any kind of fleet and it's unlikely i would have room for a 25mm scale ship game anywhere anyway.

Now if GW redid man-o-war again, that's a different story. I may even consider it if forgeworld did it, but more likely I'd rather buy another 2 armies than 5 ships from forgeworld... unless the pound sterling collapses in the near future anyway...

snurl
23-08-2007, 07:11
I have built ships too, and they take a long time to do right. a kit or two would be cool.

The ship based articles in WD a few years ago were great.

WarbossKurgan
23-08-2007, 11:02
Yaaaaarrr!

Naval Warhammer would be fantastic! Ship-building takes a while but isn't anymore difficult than any other kind of large scenery piece.

As you can see from the photos Flame On had a massive naval battle as the finale of the first Sartosa Campaign at the end of last year.

It was awesome fun! :D

daemonkin
23-08-2007, 11:16
Kurgan, that is mental! :D

D.

WarbossKurgan
23-08-2007, 11:18
You don't know the half of it! :D
For starters: the High Elf ship was perfumed. :wtf:

daemonkin
23-08-2007, 11:21
Oh dear god that's so gay.. I mean elfy! :D

D.

Sentinel75
23-08-2007, 13:40
Flagshipgames http://www.flagshipgames.com/catalog-pirates.htm makes some pretty good resin ships in 28mm I have a few of these myself. The Generals Compendium rules are good enough with minor tweaks to have battles with. Ship actions in Warhammer FB shouldnt be fleet actions but ship on ship or else ship to shore actions.
My group played a "siege like" action where the shore defenders had half the points of the naval troops but could spend 50% of their points on artillery.
D-Day style.

Urgat
23-08-2007, 14:02
Would be awseome, but I don't have nearly enough room at home to play with that :'(

mistformsquirrel
23-08-2007, 14:16
You don't know the half of it! :D
For starters: the High Elf ship was perfumed. :wtf:

I laughed <T_T> Wow!

Very cool stuff you have there!

And as for myself - I haven't even played my first game of Fantasy yet, but naval warfare always interests me!

(Hey, cannons are good! And just imagine the fun possibilities for Chaos warships... mmm.... Chaos...)