PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Imperial themed army

Pooky
23-08-2007, 13:50
I was watching a lot of my favourite movies lately: Hero, House of the Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (you seeing a theme here?). I was wonder if High Elves or Dark Elves would be better suited to play a Chinese Imperial army. Someone said that HE would be better since they are getting a new unit that always strikes first, which apparently is very Kung Fu-ish. Someone else said that I should do a DE since the repeater bolt throwers are the bees-knees. So before I decide I thought I would throw it out to the wide world of Warseer!

So, which would be better? HE or DE?

lilljonas
23-08-2007, 14:52
I'm going to say neither, and say Empire. Those armies are vast, with rank upon rank of spearmen, swordmen and crossbowmen. Too bad about the artillery, though.

But between HE and DE, I'd say HE, since the DE reliance on monsters, frenzied unarmoured troops, Cold Ones and other weird stuff is in the way. What you want is row upon row of infantry, bolt throwers and some supporting cavalry. This is not what HE has been known to do well, but who knows how the new army list will manage this theme. Probably a little bit better, at least.

King Thurgun
23-08-2007, 14:58
Definitely empire.

Empire General- Cathayan Warlord
Warrior Priest- Shaolin Monk (with magic why not!)
Wizard- Wizard :-P

Harberdiers/Spearmen- Naginata Ashigaru/Chinese Infantry
Handgunners- Use those sweet really oldschool chinese guns that were the barrels on the ends of long sticks
Knights- Heavy cav of course, do whatever you want with them
Greatswords- Heavy Infantry/Samurai (if you're down with samurai stuff too)

And don't forget that the Empire are the only guys with rockets!

Sentinel75
23-08-2007, 17:14
awhile back WD highlighted a cathay army based on bretonnia and it was awesome.

mav1971
23-08-2007, 17:24
Definitely empire.

Greatswords- Heavy Infantry/Samurai (if you're down with samurai stuff too)

And don't forget that the Empire are the only guys with rockets!

Technically samurai are japanese so in warhammer they would be from Nippon. And I think far as fluff goes the Empire got rockets or the idea for them from Cathay.

DarkAngel74
23-08-2007, 20:58
China is the home and oldschool of gunpowder technology.

Bregalad
23-08-2007, 21:00
I posted a link to the fan-made Cathay army book in about half the existing Cathay threads. Have a search.

lilljonas
23-08-2007, 21:24
China is the home and oldschool of gunpowder technology.

...which is pretty much irrelevant since they never used it in the way the Empire do until the 20th century, and even less so in the movies that the OP quoted as his main influences. For (Han) Chinese imperial armies, it's crossbows, bows and siege weaponry.

I still think that you could make a decent Han Chinese army with the Empire list, since it can emulate most human armies from feudal eras to 19th century, more or less.

Have you thought about what range to use? I know both Old Glory and Foundry have some Han Chinese 25mm line-ups, but the foundry one can't be browsed on the net last time I checked. :(

Pooky
23-08-2007, 22:20
Have you thought about what range to use? I know both Old Glory and Foundry have some Han Chinese 25mm line-ups, but the foundry one can't be browsed on the net last time I checked. :(

I was probably going to go GW. If I brought a non-GW model to GW store or a tourny they may get a little narky about not using GW models...

bhusus
23-08-2007, 22:23
I'm glad to see this on here. I'm currently working on a Cathay Army using Bretonnian minis and Empire Rules - seeing as I only play in a group of 6 I don't have to worry about the confusion. Basically the army is mass infantry which is why Empire works so well. However the original poster mentions Hero and if you want a 'shooty' army, then the High Elf Seaguard list from Storm of Chaos is where you want to look.

Pooky
24-08-2007, 01:15
I posted a link to the fan-made Cathay army book in about half the existing Cathay threads. Have a search.

I had a look, but I didn't want knights as my core choice. I wanted masses of infantry, just like the Imperial Chinese gaurd would have been like. Masses of them! If I were doing a Mongol army then I would think about using the Brets as a base for an army.

With that said, I saw some people say Empire. That could work, but the thing is they don't look asian (well, less asian than the HE and DE anyway). Empire models looks german. (And looking on the map of the old world that's about where they are from roughly speaking.)

Pooky
24-08-2007, 01:17
Oh, I forgot to mention, that the colour scheme I would use for this army is green. The green like the soldiers wore in House of the Flying Daggers. It's brighter than DA green, and not as loud as scorpion green. And the uniform would have red trim.

lilljonas
24-08-2007, 07:43
With that said, I saw some people say Empire. That could work, but the thing is they don't look asian (well, less asian than the HE and DE anyway). Empire models looks german. (And looking on the map of the old world that's about where they are from roughly speaking.)

That is because we are just discussing lists, not miniatures. I'd say from what you write about your inspiration ("Masses of infantry!") that Empire is better at pulling that off, since the Empire list is made to pull that off, while the HE or DE are not. I'd even recommend you looking into basing your conversions on the HE or DE models if that is what you were planning, but using the Empire list for the actual army list. Borrow the books if you don't have them, and then make sample lists and see if you are satisfied with how it turns out. I do believe that a HE list version could end up more like a small elite army than what you were planning for. A big project with lots of potential like this deserves a good deal of research to make it as good as possible!

I think the reason why so few in this thread mentions it, is because historically themed armies looks better when using historical miniatures instead of almost complete GW conversions, IMHO. That's the road I took, for example. But if your playing area has a culture where it is looked down upon, I can completely understand how you feel about it. Since I'm not planning on using the army at torneys or anything (it'll be quite underpowered for an Empire army due to self limitations anyway), it's a simple choise for me. I might have done it differently if I was a tournament kind of guy.

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-08-2007, 08:48

None of the GW armies look asian. If you want to do it, you are either going to have to use non-GW models, or do some pretty extensive converting on GW ones to make them look the part.

So it's not so important how 'standard' empire models look, as you shouldn't be using them anyway.

And you can count me as another vote for the Empire list. Don't think that either of the elf lists will really work for that.