PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice for new chaos marine army

Aaron the Black
24-08-2007, 11:42
Hello, ive been lurking in the forums for while now, and so i decided to say hello :)

I was going to get back into 40k after a break of 7 years, i played a khorne traitor army (i still have some hand flamers hehe) and was going to start a Ultramirines army for the 4th ed. I even started to sell some of my chaos 40k minis, and all of fantasy gear.

Then the new choas codex came out and i decided to keep the stuff i have and start a new army (ill save for a marine battle force over the next few months:angel:) for chaos.

I just wanted your opinions on which sort of direction i can take this force, i sold 8 raptors a rhino and a defiler, i kind of think i may need to invest in some again (although id like to run dreads and preds this time :)

So, how many points (roughly) would this lot be, and what would you recomend to fill out my forces?(im looking at more of a medium range shooting, fast hard close combat)

So here is my list of minis;

Abaddon the despoiler
Fabius Bile
Kharn the betrayer
deamon prince (converted old bloodthirster model)
8 terminators (1 sergeant, 2 A/C, hvy flamer, melta plasma, 2 chainfist)
10 Plague Marines (1 sergeant - power fist, bolter)
11 CC vets (cc wpn, hnd wpn) 2 sergeants (1pwr fist,1 power wpn, 2combis)
10 chaos marines (plasma gun, hvy bolter, sergeant )
11 bezerkers
khorne champ on jugger
5 flesh hounds
5 chaos marine bikers (models as horsemen) with seargent

:skull:

Aaron the Black
24-08-2007, 22:23
just a /bump to get some feedback ;)

Chaos Undivided
24-08-2007, 22:49
First up i just want to ask are you prepared to repaint the models you have or are you wanting to continue with a khornate warband?

Aaron the Black
24-08-2007, 23:39
Well, im thinking that i can repaint them, luckily my old army was more of a roving band of survivers, which seems to work well with the new codex.

The colours are like night lords, but instead of the NL symbol, they have a blood red shoulder patch with a chaos icon on it instead of a chapter badge.

the bezerkers are still ok i hope (unless they changed the designs again lol) the plague marines are painted all nurgle like and hte terminators are painted mostly like the troops but with 5 as a CC squad (there white with blood streaks all over the front, looks nice in teh end :) )

Hope that helps a bit more

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
25-08-2007, 00:49
Nice army and fit the new codex well

plague marines in rhino
Berzerkers in Land Rider (it is their best transport - otherwise you can use rhino if it suits you more
chaos space marines as chosen or havocs(if you run out of Elite slots)(revamp their weaponary with CC and shooty mix 10 man squad with icon or more point effective smaller shooty sqauds)
chaos bikers as your antitank
Chaos Chose as your shooty/cc unit(point effective!)
Abby is sick with new rules
Daemon Prince either as Slaaneshi prince with lash or as greater daemon
Kharne is good bet to be land rider cargo ;)

and you are ready to go!

Aaron the Black
25-08-2007, 02:20
Thats great to hear, and thankyou for the compliment :)

So i basically am looking at a rhino, a land raider ( i like the sound of that ;) ) and some more assorted heavy weapons ( a box of heavies should do).Should i consider any raptors or just another zerk squad?

Im wondering about later on getting a vindicator and a defiler, to take in large games as mobile anti troop/armour support for either element in my army.What do you think abou that idea?

Im going to buy the book next thursday, but in the mean time i have a problem, i used to field this as a 200 point army, but now i dont know if its 1500 or 1800 or what ?!?!

Can someone please giove me an idea? :)

25-08-2007, 02:58
havocs are best with assault weapons!

plasma guns FTW (and give them rhino to duble tap plasmas! )

on the other hand reliable heavy weapon platform
-vehicles
-havocs
-obliterators(best choice as always)

good anti-tank squads
-small raptor squad with 2 meltagun
-small bike squad with 2 meltagun
-10 man raptor squad with 2 meltagun champion(fist with khorne or LC with slaanesh) and aforementioned icon
-6 man havoc squad with 3 missle launcher
-obliterators
-3 man terminator squads with combi meltas (good choice for combat armies as they first pop a tank and then - if survive - help in combat - and are cheap :) )

hope it helps

tips
8 man squad is minimum to make icon worthwile - smaller are better without icon IMO
dont buy every upgrade - buy only as much as you think is worth it
dont spend too many points on terminators - they already have mark"shoot me" - it is better to have more cheap ones than few uber

Aaron the Black
25-08-2007, 03:24
Thanks again :)

The codex doesnt come out in oz for a few weeks, so im building up this army first.

Ill start with havocs and a predator, then ill add a squad of either vets or obliterators.

Just one more question, will a viindicator be worthwhile to follow the zerkers land raiser and provide fire support?

25-08-2007, 04:10
Thanks again :)

The codex doesnt come out in oz for a few weeks, so im building up this army first.

Ill start with havocs and a predator, then ill add a squad of either vets or obliterators.

Just one more question, will a viindicator be worthwhile to follow the zerkers land raiser and provide fire support?

if you like 10" pie plate - good anti marine weapon - use with daemonic possession.

veteran(choosen) can have 5 special weapons - so they are another heavy TBH (plasma IS short ranged heavy weapon IMO)

HS slots are good - predator is good with anti-infantry duty (lots of dices with good S)

oblits are best lascannon(and other weapons too) totting unit in dex (it is not usable in CSM, expensive in Chosen and Havocs)

god bet is either for havocs is heavy bolter or missle launcher or plasma gun. or autocannon for anti skimmer duty ;)