PDA

View Full Version : "Ard Boyz Tourny: RAW - No Painted Models?

sukigod
24-08-2007, 14:37
I saw the new 'Ard Boyz Tournament GW is offering now and after reading the rules packet, I'm confused as to what condition the models have to be in to enter.

They mention how much of a model has to be Citadel/GW but there's no mention as to how many colors must be represented. Although they're not scoring anything for painting/presentation, will they still demand 3+ colors or could you, by their rules, show up with an army in grey/metal - as long as they're modelled?

If things are RAW - you could show up with an army sans paint and still play.

Anyone here anything on this? I looked all around the forums and assume this is the right place to post this.

Major Thom
24-08-2007, 14:43
Iknow our store is allowing gray armies, prefer painted of course. But not necessary in this case.

ssgtdude
24-08-2007, 14:54
from my understanding you are going to be judged solely on wins and losses. While a paint score will not be used it is my understanding that you should still follow GW rules for tournaments. At least primed models, and show that you are in progress with painting. Those who participate just won't have sportsmanship scores and painting scores to hide behind versus who can actually play the game and play it competitively. After all this is a war game about time we were judged on ruthlessness.

This has been what I have seen even for the RT. No bare models allowed during tournaments. At least some sort of paint will be on them.

NallTWD
24-08-2007, 15:42
I do believe there's a score for painting... Was here.

Damien 1427
24-08-2007, 17:41
I think that's to stop your legs being broken by people offended by outright laziness at bringing an army without a lick of paint on it.

If you can't do a bit of spray-work, a base coat and some vague detail, I'm shocked and appalled. Even I can do that, and I'm one of the laziest ment to walk the Earth.

NallTWD
24-08-2007, 19:38
Nope, scratch that. Only score is battle points.

No painting, no sportsmanship, but being a douche will get you tossed. And army lists will be examined closely to avoid spending those elusive 10 extra points in demonic gifts in your DP.

ALSO! Models need to be WYSIWYG. Period, no exceptions.

Lord Balian
24-08-2007, 19:42
The stores in my area that are running this are not requiring painting at all. The only thing they said is everything needs to be at least WYSIWYG, and follow FOC. But that's it.
The point being to bring an army of 2500 pts, and I think GW realized that not many people have that many points fully painted and tourny ready. This is a lead up event towards Apocolypse.

sukigod
24-08-2007, 20:02
Just to set some records straight - I personally wouldn't plan on showing at such event without a majority of my models being completed to regular RTT standards. I have nearly 2000pts finished with over another 1000 pts assembled/primed but not painted.

I would feel much better if I had enough painted and wouldn't show up with a completely "grey" army. I take too much pride in the modeling/painting aspect of the hobby. My personal website (in my sig) will attest to this.

I was more surprised to find out that some RTT events let people play with unfinished models (primered only or no paint) at all.

colmarekblack
24-08-2007, 20:11
Unpainted tourney models- most gamers lazy or not can manage to put a undercoat on their models at the very least. Can't see a reason for a tournament to allow this

Bunnahabhain
24-08-2007, 20:54
Frankly, I just think it's a copy/paste error, or it's so obvious that it doesn't need to be stated. The three colours minimum standard is well established. Anybody turning up to a 2.5k tournament and claiming that they've never heard of it should be laughed out of the building

There is a difference between having most of an army done, and a squad or two that's clearly still work in progress, and turning up with a totally unpainted army. You might as well just paint "I'm an ****" on your forehead and be done with it.

Chaos Undivided
24-08-2007, 20:54
I saw the new 'Ard Boyz Tournament GW is offering now and after reading the rules packet, I'm confused as to what condition the models have to be in to enter.

They mention how much of a model has to be Citadel/GW but there's no mention as to how many colors must be represented. Although they're not scoring anything for painting/presentation, will they still demand 3+ colors or could you, by their rules, show up with an army in grey/metal - as long as they're modelled?

If things are RAW - you could show up with an army sans paint and still play.

Anyone here anything on this? I looked all around the forums and assume this is the right place to post this.

Hi suki, can i ask why you are worried about this? is it that you just dont have enough time to get your army ready or is it that you are not confident enough in your painting ability that you dont want to ruin your models by committing paint to them?

If it is the later then i definetly emphasise with you as i felt just the same when i was a youngster and i actually think there are a lot of people out there who feel the same.

In my opinion this sort of thing comes about because of a combination of players not wanting to "ruin" a model that they have paid good money for (i dont want this to turn into a price bashing thread, i personally feel most of games workshops models provide good value but there is no escaping it is an expensive hobby, somthing that is especially difficult for younger gamers) or that one is not competent enough a painter and will show ones self up by turning up with a poorly painted army.

Either way people calling others lazy because they want to field unpainted armies i feel is both disrespectfull and frankly a nobish thing to do.

killa kan kaus
25-08-2007, 01:20
unpainted tourny is strange at the very least

Petronivs
25-08-2007, 03:41
Frankly, I just think it's a copy/paste error, or it's so obvious that it doesn't need to be stated. The three colours minimum standard is well established. Anybody turning up to a 2.5k tournament and claiming that they've never heard of it should be laughed out of the building

There is a difference between having most of an army done, and a squad or two that's clearly still work in progress, and turning up with a totally unpainted army. You might as well just paint "I'm an ****" on your forehead and be done with it.

I think if it was a requirement, it would be included. If the point is to focus entirely on battle scores, then painting is irrelevant. Especially if you're trying to churn out a 2500 point list. In fact, the fact the WYSIWYG is specifically mentioned only makes it more apparent to me that painting was deliberately left off- WYSIWYG is critical for actual gameplay, while painting is not.

These tournaments are designed for hardcore gamers, not the modeling or converting crowd. There will be plenty of people who won't care about having "I'm an ****" on their forehead as long as they win.