Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nephilim needs motivation.....

Nephilim needs motivation.....

I was inspired by the Tale of Lazy Gamers (great thread) and Harry's beautiful TOP thread(but not inspired enough to join on time!), and decided my time has come. Which is very, very scary for me. As like many others, I have hundreds of models collecting dust.

I am unmotivated to paint. I love it, it is relaxing, and I will start a project, but not finish it! My Dwarves are the closest I have come, so they will be the first (I really hope). The issue: I don't want to. But I want to want to! However, I must note, I have the attention span of a hyper puppy. This might move from Dwarves, to Orcs (since I just ordered a lot more:cries, to who knows, but my plan is simple. Finish these off... before I buy anymore...

So, here it goes, the first step! My Dwarf List so far consists of:
    1.) General on Shieldbearers (wielding hammer)
    2.) Battle Standard Bearer (from the '05 box)(needs stripping
    3.) A couple of heros (generic Thane and Runesmith) (Assembled)
    4.) 2 units of 14 warriors: Done!
    5.) 10 Thunderers(Assmebled)
    6.) 20 Miners: Done! (2/11)
    7.) 20 Miners (New Plastic, assembled)
    8.) War Machines: Grudge Thrower(need stripping), Organ Gun, Cannon (2/22), Gyrocopter, Flame Cannon o' DOOM!
    9.) 13 Longbeards
    10.) 15 Slayers
    11.) 10 Rangers (basecoated)
    12.) Converted Anvil of Doom
    13.) Anvil Guard

EDIT: I decided to include all of (right now) what I intend to do, as well:

Orcs and Goblins:
    Night Gobbos:
    1.) 3 units of nightgoblin spearmen, 40 each, 2 units of 30 HW/SD (all assembled),
    2.) Squid Herd (24 Squigs, plus herders) (Assembled)
    3.) 10 Squig Hoppers (Assembled)
    4.) 45 Wolf Riders (30 Assembled)
    5.) 4 Spearchukkas
    6.) 50 Spider Riders (Unassembled)
    7.) 12 Fanatics (Assembled)
    8.) 6 Stone Trolls (Assembled)
    9.) 2 Doom Divers
    10) Converted Snotling Bases
    11.) Pump Wagon
    12.) Various Night Gobbo heros
    13.) 2 Orc Boyz units, 24 each, Orcs with HW/SD (30) 30 Spear Orcs (SpOrcs!) , 2 more units of 30
    14.) 30 Big 'Uns
    15.) 5 Boar Chariots (2 basecoated), 2 Completed Chariots, 'Da MeatGrinda'
    16.) 2 Black Orc Units (new ones), 20 each (Assembled) 2 units of 15
    17.) 15 Boarboyz (Assembled)
    18.) 2 Savage Orc Boarboy units, 7 and 6, respectively
    19.) Various Orc Heros (Mostly Assembled), Shaman on Foot, Wurzag mounted, Black Orc Warboss, BSB (for Big Uns)

Legend:
    Finished
    Basecoated
    Unassembled/Or unpainted

Whew. Alright, end of EDIT:

These are in vary stages of painting, but only the basecoat (beards have a few highlights).

Now, I am far from the best painter, and some of my stuff is not even tabletop quality. Feel free to be harsh, I need to learn! Any comments, praise, suggestions, whatever will be appreciated. I am just looking to get this done, and now I have made a commitment! If this lasts past that critical one month mark, then I think I will be in good shape. Here is some of what I have to do:

and...
    Last edited by Nephilim of Sin; 19-07-2009 at 02:00. Reason: Updated and Added Lists
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law

I'm hoping to stay motivated to finish painting an army, or three.... (Update: 10/1/09!)

Anyone in Knoxville, TN wanting to play a game of fantasy, PM me!

Re: Nephilim needs motivation.....

Here is an example of what needs more work...(notice the brown beards....those will be redone)

Notice the Slayer standing there for motivation....I am working on these now, so, maybe in a few days I can hopefully post something (I am slow at painting).

I'm hoping to stay motivated to finish painting an army, or three.... (Update: 10/1/09!)

Alright, I have basically been repainting these models, which is another reason that it has taken me a little while to post, but the other reason is I am slow at painting.

What has been done: I have finally redone all the beards to be closer to my liking, and although they are not great, they will work for now. If I spend too much more time on them, I will go insane. As well, I have gotten the metal to a stage I like (but it appears a little shiny in the pics), and really looks good on the model. (Note, these are just a few of them. I decided to save time and work on both Warrior regiments at once, and the beards and metals are done on all).

I still have to go back and make a few touch ups here and there, plus I will highlight the boots and belt. The only problems I really am having are 1.) I cannot get a Black Beard to highlight well at all, and I have tried many different methods. And 2.) I am having trouble figuring out how to highlight the non-folded parts of the clothes (but I am getting some ideas from the magazines...). If anyone can please help on either or both of these, please let me know.

To note, the warriors are going to be painted different (four colors shared within the regiments) to give them the 'clans' look. The thunderers, Miners, and Longbears are going to have the same scheme, though. I am also going for the 'snow' look, but just a patch here and there. Thanks for looking, and any advice, comments, criticisms, etc. are appriciated!

Oh, and because it will be a few days (at least) before the warriors are completely done, I decided to show what is to be the "centerpiece" of the army (which, is still not completed.....:cries:

And for a slightly darker, yet more detailed pic:

While normally this will be a piece of terrain, when my girlfriend's son plays we have decided to use it as an "Anvil of Doom". The thought was it is an old, slightly ruined Dwarven Forge, used on the battlelines to keep the clansmen armed. The main things that have stopped me from finishing it are 1.) I completely messed up the runic floor. I am going to carve the runes in the plasticard first, which means I have to strip those central tiles without damaging the others. And 2.) The 'rubble' around the upper lip: I was thinking of the snowfall accumulating there, but I am not sure what to paint it initially. I am afraid if I make it look like true 'rubble', then the piece will be too plain. If I make it look like ground, then why is it there? Any thoughts?

The "anvil of doom" is really cool and the dwarves look really solid so far. I understand the lack of motivation. I have finished my armies, but I always am more enthusiastic at the beginning than the end, and sometimes the last units seem a chore (especially when its yet another 25 clanrats), but I think playing with them on the table fully painted and in a wonderful scheme is enough to always push me a long. Keep up the good work and the pics coming!

Thanks a lot, I really appriciate it. My own problem is not finishing that last unit, it is finishing a unit. I cleared out my closet, and still have five strong armies that I never really got around to painting. Oh, and three in 40k.
    I have to admit, I was really not feeling the 'itch' to paint at first today, but having this commitment (and comment) has been something that is keeping me going. Even if it becomes a failed painting log, I think I can get a painted army out of it.
    I will probably have more pics either up tomarrow or the next day, which should be the finished warriors. After that I plan to finish up the converted miners quickly.

Oh, another fellow non-motivated painter ! I know how you feel, being a lazy painter myself... and with dwarfs to finish, too!

Here are my two () cents:

1) I have some problems with black beards,too. I tried to paint some starting not from black but from a very (very) dark grey, then highlighting it adding grey to the mixture. I've tried also with black and successive passes of black + shadow grey... it's not spectacular, but it works. That said, none of my dwarfs has actually a black beard ...

2) For clothes, I usually add highlights only on the raised parts and on edges (tipically the sleeves). If you want to achieve a deeper tone you can work by giving more than one thin color pass over a white base, but usually I use this technique only for character models, since it's more time consuming (and I'm already lacking motivation )

3) the "anvil" is really nice, kudos to you for modelling it. I see your point though, those runic paving is detracting from an overall good model. I fear that the only thing you can do is to arm yourself with patience and try to not make a mess in removing it... for the rubble, well, it's not too out of place. It could be formed by the scrap of the forging process, brought in that place by the energies released by the anvil itself (I can see it pushed further away with every hit from the runelord's hammer), or (although it's not so dwarfish) by two broom-equipped anvil guardians
    If you want to model snow though, I recommend you to use a proper product (kinda like GW one) and not painting it. Painted snow seems always (to me, at least) white gravel rather than, ehr, snow.

Hope that helps you in some way,

Toschenko
    My "to do" list. Last completed mini: IF Sternguard veteran Currently working on: IF Librarian and Sternguard squad

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowheart View Post
    Paint needs no explanation. Undercoat allows none.
    My painting log, now totally devoted to the Imperial Fists 4th company - battleworn style!
    A tale of two dwarf slayers - top level painting exercise with Avatars of War minis

Chapter Master Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood's Avatar

Motivation you say?
    Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Pa int!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!

And i like the centerpiece, finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!

And..
    Beer is motivational, models lots of dwarves with beer!beer!beer!beer!beer!beer!beer!beer!

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/
    I'm EU funded

Well, I promised updates in two days, and it only took me about three weeks. Not that bad, since the holidays were hectic, plus introducing the family to Heroquest, and of course Rockband. However, I have managed to get things painted, so I am somewhat staying on track, and updates really will follow this time; today in fact! Considering I have almost made it my first month, I am happy. Again, I want to say thanks for those who have replied with their input!

Quote Originally Posted by Toschenko View Post
    Oh, another fellow non-motivated painter ! I know how you feel, being a lazy painter myself... and with dwarfs to finish, too!
    What I simply don't understand is, when I look at the army, there aren't that many there! I look at my goblins, and am of the mindset "hey, only 3 units to do". Those three units are 40 strong. Perhaps I need to look at it from a 'model' perspective, and not a unit one.

Quote Originally Posted by Toschenko View Post
    3) the "anvil" is really nice, kudos to you for modelling it. I see your point though, those runic paving is detracting from an overall good model. I fear that the only thing you can do is to arm yourself with patience and try to not make a mess in removing it... for the rubble, well, it's not too out of place. It could be formed by the scrap of the forging process, brought in that place by the energies released by the anvil itself (I can see it pushed further away with every hit from the runelord's hammer), or (although it's not so dwarfish) by two broom-equipped anvil guardians
    If you want to model snow though, I recommend you to use a proper product (kinda like GW one) and not painting it. Painted snow seems always (to me, at least) white gravel rather than, ehr, snow.

Hope that helps you in some way,

Toschenko
    Thanks for the advice, it does help. I have to say, I was really discouraged with the 'anvil' or 'forge', since the plasticard floor was pretty thick. Then, I found a great method of snow in another thread (I already tried the 'painted snow' before I read your post, and it was ugly). Needless to say, after getting the snow mixture right, I was inspired to start cutting. To my amazement, the four hour process actually yielded superb results! I did not damage the surrounding floor in any way, which was amazing. Each little 'crack' of the plasticard was made with baited breath...

So, here is an update on the anvil; crappy runes have been removed (new ones are yet to be crafted) and snow effects have been added. The snow is actually built up more towards the viewer of the pic, it just does not reflect that here. Perhaps by the time this is done, my girlfriend can improve my photoshop and photography skills.

I still want to add the runes, and my idea is to cut them out of plasticard (one rune to each tile), while the 'glowing power' will be painted underneath to give them more of an 'aura'. However, since they model is shadow-grey to fortress grey, I think blue might be out of the question. Does anyone have any tips as to what the 'glowing' runes color should be, or should I just carve them and leave them as normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood View Post
    Motivation you say?
    Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Pa int!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!Paint!

And i like the centerpiece, finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!finish it!

And..
    Beer is motivational, models lots of dwarves with beer!beer!beer!beer!beer!beer!beer!beer!

Sadly, Kraal, I read your post backwards, starting with beer. Two mini-kegs later I realized my tolerance has been lowered. Unfortunately, this resulted in me not being able to paint (or anything else!) for three days. The worse part is, I had actually tried to paint during that time, which resulted in much needed corrective work...

Alright, here is the update for the first batch of warriors. These are mainly Skull Pass Dwarves. Again, I was playing with a 'clothing' pallette of about four colors, consisting of browns and blues to go with the 'snowy' mountain feel. At least, that is how the warriors will be.

A frontal view;

A side view (which shows off some of my favorite blonde beards);

As you can see, there are two spaces missing; one is for the Skull Pass Thane, who will either be the units champion, or sometimes a Thane, while the other is reserved for the '05 army box BSB. I will continue the snow pattern on them as well, but for the time this unit is complete in my book.

Also, the black beard looks a lot better than it does in real life; I really have not done much to it, but I think I used too thick of a wash (or maybe it was an ink?), which gave it the 'highlight' from the shine. So, as of now they are done, otherwise I would probably just give up! Having to repaint mini's a couple of times really wears down the moral. At this stage, I am very pleased with the beards (mainly the blonde and red), but of course not the black beard. I am still considering adding some 'dead' static grass in spots around the base, but I am not too sure yet.

I apologize for the poor photos, hopefully I will get some better ones. The main thing I don't like is that the highlights on the skirts are not showing up in the pics. Oh well, time for some more updating!
    Last edited by Nephilim of Sin; 12-02-2008 at 04:49. Reason: Too many pics

And now for the second batch, which is another reason it has taken me a longer time than I had anticipated. Alas, in their drunken excitement to be photographed, in transit a few dropped the shields while the musician threw his drum. At least these are the easy things to repair (and after the anvil fiasco, I will consider any repair easy!).

A frontal view;

A side view;

(I really like how the red-bearded dwarf in that shot turned out)

Again, there is a space missing for either a Runesmith, or a Thane, not quite sure yet. These, I believe, will definitely work for table-top, which is good because I will admit I started getting a little lazy during the last stages. As always, there are a few details to pic out here and there, but I honestly will have to move on in order to progress. I have found that out the hard way. I plan to pick everything out after they have seen a few more games and the army is nearer completion, that way I can fix anything that might be damaged while my girlfriend's son learns to play properly with the painted minis.

Again, any comments (and criticisms!) are welcome.
    Last edited by Nephilim of Sin; 12-02-2008 at 04:49. Reason: Too many pics

Now, for my (hopefully) last continuous post, this is what I have in store for the rest of the month; (As well, I have edited the first post with a more complete list).

A WIP shot of the cannon (sans cannon), where the base will tie in to the entrenchment idea for my Organ Gun that I stole from WD (which is the spare head I had left from the anvil);

And the Miners, which I already have the bulk of the work done on (beards!);

I also wanted to do a topdown shot to show what I am trying to achieve here. Although you really can't see with my bad pic, they are supposed to be coming up from the ground;

This is a mixture of metal and BfSP plastics, with some of the plastics cut in half in the hole. I also took the smaller of the monster bases (for swarms?), cut them down and then lined them with plasticard, so there is some actually height difference here. This unit will be modeled with the miners erupting on all sides from a central hole (and they are all covered in dirt), while for the other unit of Miners will all be coming from a hole, I just have to work on modeling them. Luckily, the other unit will be all plastic, so it will be easier.

Also, the gloves look a garish red right now, but if you look at the lower left, you will see the one model that has what I am going for. Let's hope I can make it another month, thanks for looking, and any comments, criticism, or advice is welcome!
    Last edited by Nephilim of Sin; 18-01-2008 at 15:36.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim of Sin View Post
    I was inspired by the Tale of Lazy Gamers (great thread) and Harry's beautiful TOP thread(but not inspired enough to join on time!), and decided my time has come.
    To hear that us two have inspired anyone to do anything is incredible, thanks for the great compliment. Harry gets a lot of positive feedback for this, I'm glad we have had a similar effect.

As for the stunties, they look really nice. I was contemplating a snow-effect for the bases of mine, but as you will have noticed from my own thread I don't often get my bases done immediately

The anvil base look v.good. You have to work hard to get a centre-piece model with a Dwarf army, but this looks like it'll fit the bill nicely. Mine is (or will be one day when I paint it) my organ gun, made to look like a tank.

As for encouragement. Sit your bum down, with finished minis all around your painting area and the most inspiring army pics you can find from wd's and army books before you. Then imagine your army when you get done painting it!
    Napoleonic Ogres http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284734 To try them is to love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Sairion View Post
    To hear that us two have inspired anyone to do anything is incredible, thanks for the great compliment. Harry gets a lot of positive feedback for this, I'm glad we have had a similar effect.
    Considering the amount of models you have to paint, the enthusiasm you guys show, and the fact that you are actually able to get them done quickly, I imagine you both have inspired a lot more than just myself. You two have a fantastic thread, and I can't wait to see more!

Concerning the TOFP, I really must give Harry credit for getting everyone together, and doing a lot more than his fair share in continuing the pace. I could never paint that many minis in a month. However, praise really must be given to each of the participants of that thread, who have done a great job. Reading it, you can see how everyone starts to motivate each other, and you can see how every one's skill has increased. They are all doing a phenomenal job, and reading both your thread and theirs is always a pleasure.

Thanks for the kind compliments, especially with the anvil. I was hesitant to do snow at first, having horrid results on the test pieces, but thanks to this forum, I found a formula that I really like.

I will actually be updating tonight, with my first finished miners. I am happy with the pace I am going, but will admit my motivation lapsed for about a week and half, purely based on myself and no outside influences(Alcohol, Rockband, GH3, young ones...) . Luckily I was able to get back in the saddle, and I am hoping on posting update more regularly (and actually responding in a timely fashion!).

Alright, update time!

I finally finished the Miners. I am very happy with how the beards came out, which is the method I used to redo the beards on the warriors last month. Before, I was all about drybrushing, but now I have found that subtle layering and a little bit of washes can bring out better detail (again, I think the blond ones look better, and I did not use any brown or black beards here).

Disclaimer time. I hate the flames. I have never painted flames before, and I tried a couple of different methods from the WD to get them 'right'. Didn't work, but it does keep the miniatures from being horribly dark. The premise is that they are working their way out of a hole, so that is why they are all posed each facing an edge, not the typical 'regiment' look. It makes sense to me, at least, as they are working to get their bearings. There is a height difference here as well, but it does not translate in the photos well (then again, as you can tell, I am still working on the photo aspect).

I decided instead of painting a black circle or drilling out the instrument of the Musician, I filled it with dirt! Makes sense, since they are supposed to be tunneling out.

Here are the Miners in the middle. They are not grouped like this, as the two singles are sandwiched between the four-men bases. I just figured this would help show the height difference. Plus, it also shows how every Miner is covered in dirt:

The Prospector was originally the Skull Pass Musician, but since I was using a lot of the characterful metal models, I already had one. So I decided to grab the steam drill from the new Miner's box set and covered up the instrument with a shield. That way, I didn't waste any models. It actually fit really easily, especially as the dirt covered any gaps that were there.

I learned a lot while painting these models (only my third completed unit ever). The way they were built was not as thought out as I wished, so the new batch down the way will be done different, both to expedite painting and to show a better height difference.

I also realized a lot of problems I have with painting techniques; I have been painting straight from the pot except for mixes, and this is really a deterrent for me. Hopefully, seeing a lot of the mistakes I have made, I will paint faster and with better quality. Thanks to all who have checked this out, and thanks to those of you who have posted comments, critiques, and feedback.

Sorry for a 'triple post', but as I am trying to update more, I guess that is bound to happen...

I figured I would show off my next goal after the cannon: Slayers!

They will be a unit of 15, and I have three Slayer characters to work with. My girlfriend's son uses the Dwarf army, and these poor guys are always getting slaughtered. Be it Black Orcs or my one lucky Night Goblin unit, these guys have only lasted once, in their first game.

So, I wanted to make them special, and have a real 'appearance' while being on the table top. I have read a lot of posts on this forum about some hate models mounted on rocks and such, so my solution? Mount all fifteen of them on something. The way I envision it, these guys are what most would consider crazy. So, that combined with their appetite for battle, I decided they would be the one unit that would be running barefoot through a rocky field. I only have the front rank done so far, but there will be plenty of jagged rocks and whatnot to represent how they should work in battle. Maybe then they will get lucky .

Librarian

Quick-fire updates! Good work!

The miners look pretty darn decent, I like the musician with what looks like a clogged up instrument, very cool.

Keep painting for your own amusement, speed is the answer for Warseer, not necessarily for yourself.

Dave
    Napoleonic Ogres http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284734 To try them is to love them!

Wow that's pretty awesome!! Get motivated pal, cuz' you have some really nice stuff on your hands!! I like your scenery too, and I think your basing is really original and makes the models stand out more (hahaha)! Dwarfs are so awesomel.... I should get an army.... Hehehehhh....
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

@Daniel36: Thanks a lot man! I will admit, that does help me get motivated. I have always been a much better converter than a painter, and to me scenery is nothing but conversions. I am just happy I did not have to toss the model because of my mistake (Always precut...always....).

As for the basing, it was never meant to be distinctive....I really botched a WD recipe, and ended up loving it. I agree it gives them some character, while the Slayers are going to be 'standing out', so to speak. Although, with the Miners I added a lot more snow than I usually would have to show off the different levels of terrain, otherwise they were much too dark.

As for Dwarves being awesome; yes, yes they are. They regularly eat my Orc army, somehow dominate my magic phase, and yet I still outnumber the buggers 3 to 1. Maybe it is 4 to 1. There are only 10 guns, 10 rangers and 3 war machines in that army. We have yet to use the Anvil, as I was afraid of 'jinxing' it before it was assembled. They are quite fun to paint, but I will admit the Skull Pass Dwarves have a lot of extra surface area that has me wondering what to do. Is it a beard? Shield? Cloth? The regular models are great though, and a blast to paint (if you like beards).

Thanks again man!

Nice update. As to the flames, you've actually done them "the wrong way around". So has GW too, if it comes to that. A flame is usually brighter closer to the source, so you should highlight them "the wrong way", i e white at the bottom, and red/orange at the tip. Just a tip.
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast