Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Updating the Leman Russ...

Updating the Leman Russ...

why do i only get these crazy ideas when i am halfway through a holiday with work to do...

oh well...

following on fron this thread...
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120142

anyway in that thread i starting drawing and came up with these two pics...
    and i now indend to build .... 3 [if thats the number you get in a box of russ's i think it is... else i will still do 3, but more slowly... ]

anyway, here are my initial pics, i wont be starting them till tommorow properly, [need supplies] but i may do a few more drawingas and the like...

so any coments...?

Re: Updating the Leman Russ...

So, you're going to move the turret back and elongate the hull? Me like Looks very Macharious, and that's a good thing
    Fleets of steampunk airships need playtesting; Above the Seven Seas andSteamflight Games - the, now official, website of Above the Seven Seas
    Cross of Roses ANOTHER system? You ask... yes, I am that mad, thisone will be skirmish-sized

The Dark Fae, my Warriors of Chaos army with a different theme than normal. Updated 28/2 09

I love this Idea as Macharius is beautiful model, and I have some Russies on horizon. I'll be watching this thread closely, and would be thankful for many photos
    1-800-SUICIDE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Warsmith View Post
    either way the only traitor primarch i really 'care' about, Perturabo, turned traitor not because he hated the emperor, nor because he was tempted by chaos and thought horus was right, but because he wanted the chance to kick rogal dorn in the balls. i think we can all sympathise with Perturabo's motives

very ignored thread

From your side-profile sketch, it looks like you might do better to start with a chimera chassis. Just a thought, as it is basically close to the same shape. I look forward to watching your progress here, whatever you decide.
    + Orks, Emperor Titans and Lost & The Damned project logs... +

ooo there is an idea.. just looked at the sprues... they provise possibilities, but dont give as many extra bits that i want... [as well as not providing the same number of guns and as such more scratch building... :P] there is alot of very usefull bits on the russ sprues that are just not on the chimera spru, though i can see where you are coming from...

anyone have a pic of a russ and chimera track set next to each other... i dont own a chimera [i will do, but not yet...]

as i am going to chop... well completly rebuild from scratch, most of the hull it should not make much of a difference

yes even though you would have to buy both the russ and chimera sprue, the chimera is more flat as you would say to the russ. the chimera would give you plenty of room for the front mounted gun that is protrayed in the drawing as the russ can only be left where it is. another thing is if you look at the chimera and the russ, the russ almost looks shorter because of its height and if you put the turret on the back of the russ, i think it would still look short and stubby in my opinion. good luck with it, im sure it will look great!

I had the same idea for my Russ a while ago, but didn't realise it.

looking forward to yours.
    Last edited by Gropius; 31-12-2007 at 15:57.

ok, update time...

i managed to get the last box of 3 russ's in the store, [apparently they are not doing them anymore...]

anyway, started on the track hulls, made a slight adjustment to drawing, basicly lengthening the back abit more by having a slower sloping rear track set...

those track hulls may look masive, but they are only ~3mm wider that normal russ track hulls, its just the tracks that really suck...

i am starting to try out bits of plasticard for track sizes, i think i know what im after, and once i have made a few i like, ill cast them to cover the tank...

hulls are made from 2 1.5mm plasticard sections with 3 sheets of foamcore in between them... i will cover the foamcore with something, either plasticard or milliput

now time to start doing something about a hull

ooo nice one Gropius

I like the Idea, but think you should do something to the turret, to make it look like they could put more than a few shells in there. Anyways, the mock up is looking ace, nice Ideas!
    Last edited by Sparda; 31-12-2007 at 18:38. Reason: Always forget the E in the...
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiTree View Post
    Beyond that, call Xzibit and ask him to pimp your painting rig. They'll add a telelvision, some hydraulics and black-lights, then you'll be the envy of your town.
    My Log-
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212228

thats not the final turret, thats just for scale, the final turret will be more like the pics, its just there for scale...

have a few more pics..

first 2 just show work, 3rd hopefully shows how it really is not that much bigger than a normal russ [~5mm wider] and ita also ~the same length [by the time you include the lascannon ] as a russ aswell

due to a slight mis calculation on the hull depth, i have raised the whole thing up... not a problem, it just means i have to add something more to the bottom to define that... as currently it looks to thin...

ides for a turret are forming in my head but need considerable work...

I like where you're heading with this.. perhaps if you can get your hands on some land raider tracks, it'll save you some work? I think those would be a good fit for this tank

Brother Sergeant

i tried to do the same thing with my russ, using only the bits in the box, the tracks are just too short though, so im gonna follow your route.

Good to see people experimenting with a new, better Russ. However, I don't like the Macharius that much. It looks like it carries all of its weight at the back, not spread a little more balanced. It seems to me that it would struggle to climb a hill without stopping completely, or even flip over backwards!

hmmm i can see why tou would say that.. but the center of weight seems to be between 1/3 and 1/2 wat from the back of the tank.... this menas the front would lift easily.. yes, but it is by no means unstable.. infact is would probably help with climbing hills and the like as the front is more enclined to ride up over an obsticale rather than try to plow through it...

sorry for no pics today, it was new years day and as such was doing family things.... tommorow should see some more propper work... gona try and get the tracks sorted, and hopefully build a second hull so i have 2 of these to play with!

I'd build it on a chimera chasis
    :chrome: Da Wman
    ---Lord Hjamlar;I will be honest, I think you are the most annoyin' person I've ever met.
    --Leunam;I agree with the sentiments in your signature.
    -marv335; I second that.
    my Death Korps of Krieg blog

I don't know, but it seems a bit too tall for my taste, but I like the way it's going. What tracks are you going to use?
    1-800-SUICIDE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Warsmith View Post
    either way the only traitor primarch i really 'care' about, Perturabo, turned traitor not because he hated the emperor, nor because he was tempted by chaos and thought horus was right, but because he wanted the chance to kick rogal dorn in the balls. i think we can all sympathise with Perturabo's motives

very ignored thread

Banned
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love ya!

I love the look! I may use that!

Nice! I did some sketches a while ago on a similar theme (Russ sized Macharius), but haven't gotten around to constructing it. Nice to see your take on it.

more work.. Yay..

but not as much as i would like...[just started playing NWN again, and i have actuall uni work to do aswell... ]

tracks are still being a pain... but i got abit more of the hull finished, and started on the turret...

hop[efully the second and third pic show that ist not too much bigger... i know its going to gain a few mm or 2 when the lower tracks are in place, but the gap over the tracks is also bigger that it should be [i only have 5 mm spacers] so that shoud stop it from becoming any taller... infact the hull should sink a few mm into the tracks..

still only just wider than a normal russ aswell... its profile on the table should still be less than a normal russ due to not having a lasscannon sticking out the front!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast