Thread: Gametesting of Above the Seven Seas, me vs. RR

Playtesting of Above the Seven Seas, me vs. RR

This is the first time this game goes on to online testing, we'll be using MS paint to draw our moves and an online dice roller to roll the dice. It will be long and tedious I'm afraid, due to the nature of the game not being well suited to this form of online play, but it's always something.

So, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, at all, both my sig and the following links will net you information

game:
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124324

concepts:
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124163

I will take command over a fleet from the Lurini Commonwealth and Rav will controll one drawn from the Indragan Lands.

before posting the list, I'd like to thank Poly for his excellent suggestion to use the internet for playtesting like this, simply because it is easier to get a game in when ill (like me) or when living in the middle of nowhere (like Rav).

So, without further ado, I present my list (do note, list will be edited throughout the game to accommodate for losses and the likes).

Morale: 28

Erebus… Commander's Ship
    Massive Class Battleship
    Eficiency points: 9
    Integrity: 9
    Steam Power: 10

Hephaestus
    Heavy Class Destroyer
    Bow mounted weapons (efficiency: 2)
    Eficiency points: 4
    Integrity: 7
    Steam Power: 12

Ares
    Heavy Class Destroyer
    Bow mounted weapons (efficiency: 2)
    Eficiency points: 8
    Integrity: 4
    Steam Power: 8

Artemis I
    Light Class Interceptor
    Bow mounted weapons (efficiency 2)
    Integrity: 1
    Steam Power: 18

Artemis II
    Light Class Interceptor
    Bow mounted weapons (efficiency 2)
    Integrity: 1
    Steam Power: 15

Cerberus I
    Hunter Squadron
    Efficiency points: 3
    Steam Power: 19

Cerberus II
    Hunter Squadron

Cerberus III
    Hunter Squadron

Cerberus IV
    Hunter Squadron

Scylla I
    Hunter Squadron
    Efficiency points: 2
    Steam Power: 17

Scylla II
    Hunter Squadron

Scylla III
    Hunter Squadron

Scylla IV
    Hunter Squadron
    Last edited by Neknoh; 27-01-2008 at 00:05.
    Fleets of steampunk airships need playtesting; Above the Seven Seas andSteamflight Games - the, now official, website of Above the Seven Seas
    Cross of Roses ANOTHER system? You ask... yes, I am that mad, thisone will be skirmish-sized

The Dark Fae, my Warriors of Chaos army with a different theme than normal. Updated 28/2 09

Chapter Master RampagingRavener's Avatar

Re: Gametesting of Above the Seven Seas, me vs. RR

Moral: 30

Massive Class: 60 points total.
    Stormhammer Carrier A… 60 points
    Carrier, Commander's ship.
    Efficiency points: 6
    Integrity: 8
    Steam Power: 7

Heavy Class: 70 points total.
    Storm Class A…35 points
    Port Mounted Cannon (efficiency: 1)
    Efficency Points: 5
    Integrity: 5

Storm Class B…35 points
    Port Mounted Cannon (efficiency: 1)
    Efficency Points: 5
    Integrity: 5

Light Class: 50 points total.
    Windrider A… 25 points
    Efficency Points: 2
    Integrity: 2
    Steam Power:16

Windrider B… 25 points
    Efficency Points: 2
    Integrity: 2
    Steam Power:16

Hunter Squadrons: 120 points total.
    Dark Clouds A…15 points
    Efficency Points: 6

Dark Clouds B…15 points

Dark Clouds C…15 points

Dark Clouds D…15 points

Dark Clouds E…15 points

Dark Clouds F…15 points

Dark Clouds G…15 points

Dark Clouds H…15 points
    Efficency Points: 4

Quick note, I'm correct in beliving that Hunter Squadrons dont lose you Moral when they go down, yea?
    Last edited by RampagingRavener; 27-01-2008 at 18:51.
    Do YOU love Orks?
    Quote Originally Posted by biggreengribbly
    The Bunny will remain an evil mystery. Maybe it's actually a lobotomised Dead Baby in a fur-suit, who knows?
    Every time someone says Dark Eldar need to be dropped or turned into Chaos Eldar, a little piece of me dies inside.
    Apparently, I'm Warseer's Best Roleplayer. Go me. Have a poke about in the Roleplaying forum to see what I tricked people into thinking I'm good at.

I'm just going to jump in here and say this was my idea.

Proceed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthor's Shadow View Post
    Poly, Step away from the keyboard. Slowly turn around. Put both hands on the wall with palms flat. Bring head back slowly. Ram forehead into wall. Repeat till unconscious.
    Ardent hater of the Space Marine Chaplin.

before posting the list, I'd like to thank Poly for his excellent suggestion to use the internet for playtesting like this

And this is a case of bad organisation on my part, but have a look under Destruction of Ships and Squadrons for notes on the Morale lost from wrecked Hunter Squadrons. Do note, Hunter squadrons are only lost when their efficiency reaches zero, not their Steam

I'm off to do an Oral Exam in a matter of minutes, I'll fix deployment and templates for deployment when I get home
    Fleets of steampunk airships need playtesting; Above the Seven Seas andSteamflight Games - the, now official, website of Above the Seven Seas
    Cross of Roses ANOTHER system? You ask... yes, I am that mad, thisone will be skirmish-sized

The Dark Fae, my Warriors of Chaos army with a different theme than normal. Updated 28/2 09

Lack of sleep and GF going away to uni=not concentrating properly. I apologise.

*runs away*

I'll watch the thread with anticipation, whilst simultaneously remaining totally silent in it.

Poly
    Out
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthor's Shadow View Post
    Poly, Step away from the keyboard. Slowly turn around. Put both hands on the wall with palms flat. Bring head back slowly. Ram forehead into wall. Repeat till unconscious.
    Ardent hater of the Space Marine Chaplin.

Ok, got templates now

Deployment up to 3 squares in?

Quote Originally Posted by Neknoh View Post
    Deployment up to 3 squares in?
    Works for me.

Imma gonna get slaughtered.
    Do YOU love Orks?
    The Bunny will remain an evil mystery. Maybe it's actually a lobotomised Dead Baby in a fur-suit, who knows?
    Every time someone says Dark Eldar need to be dropped or turned into Chaos Eldar, a little piece of me dies inside.
    Apparently, I'm Warseer's Best Roleplayer. Go me. Have a poke about in the Roleplaying forum to see what I tricked people into thinking I'm good at.

Not necessarily, this isn't White Dwarf arround the time for a new army called the Lurini Commonwealth

Anyhow, sorry for the delay, a powercut resulted in internet shutting down... and staying down, since arround 13.40 :angry:

Anyhow, here they come ^^

I enlarged the field in order to deploy, feel free to shrink it before you greattatch it so that we both can actually see what happens.

Deployment done. I've coloured my stuff red so it's easier to tell apart, shrunk the 'map' and added some white space around the edges for note-taking if needed.
    Do YOU love Orks?

Found a roller:

http://www.irony.com/igroll.html

Roll for Active Leader:

Me: 3+9 = 12
    Rav: 1+6 = 7

I take it I start then

EDIT:

The sky was clear, the sun gently touched the clouds and the farmlands below them, enhancing their colours, making them bright.
    On the large square outside of the long gun emplacement, two men stood completely still, one of them dressed in the commander's colours and the large, white robe with a crimson ribbon allong it's edge. He was Lord Thesarus, high commander of the seventh fleet of the Lurini Commonwealth, the robe he wore ontop of his commanders clothing symbolised the senate and counsels of old. Next to him stood a man dressed in similar uniform, but without the type of robe worn by Thesarus, this was Dimicales, son to one of the noble families, and an aspiring commander.
    "Such a shame," Thesarus said, "I'd've much rather met Elamo in harsher weather.".
    Dimicales, Thesarus' closest advisor, obviously suprised by this asked the man, "Lord Thesarus, in this weather, we will make short work of his ships."
    "It's not his ships that I'm worried about Dimicales, it's those." Thesarus didn't even raise his hand, he merely looked at the horizon where the dark shapes of ships started appearing.
    Dimicales," Thesarus said, "Have a look in your binocular, then join me at the bridge." Thesarus turned arround and walked across the massive balcony before entering through the iron gates that lead into the topmost gun emplacement. The ceiling wouldn't have been distinguishable due to it's height, had it not been for the large number of gaslamps and lustres that illuminated the halls.
    The cannon-gates were starting to open now, gates, ten, twenty men high slowly sliding open as coggs and overpreassured pipes creaked and wheezed. Light was let into the hall, the rays of the mild sun letting it's rays caress the cannons, artillery platforms of gargantuan sizes, adapted from shelling ground troopers to being fired straight into enemy ships.
    Pillars lined the isle he was walking, so did statues, both genuine and replica's. In the middle of the hall stood a replica of Michelangelo's David, ten times the size of it's original, it towered before Thesarus as he neared it.
    Men were running everywhere, swarming to the cannons, to the loading stations, to the gunshields and the anti air platforms, those stations would be well used at the end of the day.

Dimicales came running after him, and Thesarus knew what he had seen, he had seen the swarms of Hunter Squadron that steadily took off from the runnways of the Stormhammer Carrier that was Elamo's personal ship. Dimicales was out of breath and short to words, but Thesarus stopped him, "Don't speak" he said, "We must issue orders.".

"Polytheses!" bellowed Thesarus, and through the ordered chaos came a thinn man, tall and chiseled, with an air of dignity arround him, neither of the two men greeted eachother, a mere nodd, "Take a Hunter, Ares needs you more than it needs light signals and flags, bear down hard and swift upon them, make sure to make a dent." The two men parted ways, Thesarus still headed toward the bridge, Polytheses heading to the small hangars. "Come Dimicales" Thesarus said, "we have a battle to win."

Weather: A sea of clouds beneath and a clearblue sky above, no effect

T1: Ares moves two squares south
    Last edited by Neknoh; 26-01-2008 at 19:08.

Captain Elamo was substantially mad. He'd piloted a Hunter back in his youth, which had been struck by lightening and miraculously survived. Of course the blast had torched Elamo's brain slightly, and when he was suffled into a more perminant Military role, he quickly developed a reputation for...ingenious strategy that tended to utterly baffle generals on either side.

Sitting slouched in his 'command deck', he glared around, lamenting. He had desperatly wanted a Thunderstorm instead of the Stormcarrier he currently captained. The extra ranks of guns and bigger, whirlier engines had appealed to him. A flunky stood nervously behind, making a definite effort to remain still while his Captain glanced at the clip-board, to the row of dark ship-shapes in the distance.

"It says here, they've got an Erebus. That right? That's the one that doesn't have any hangers?"

"Uhm...yes, Sir. We don't know the name or who Captains it."

Elamo snorted, waving the flunky away with orders to start launching the Hunter Squadrons. So long as the cowards under his command didn't decide to quit the feild, he could just keep on cranking out fighters and drown the Lurini ships in Hunters.
    Last edited by RampagingRavener; 26-01-2008 at 21:24.
    Do YOU love Orks?

From the obeservation deck on the Hephaestus class destroyer came a young man, running, kneeling in front of the captain,"My lord, Thesarus ordered forward engines and execution of battle formation twelve!", the young man was out of breath, but he got his message across.

The captain, a bearded man of not too tall, but a very rough and stern build, called out to the engines overseer, "Forward Tiaklon, let's get those engines warmer!".
    Tiaklon, the man who had recieved his orders from the captain opened a lid that covered one of several pipes in front of his position and called down through it, "Fire up the forward engines! We don't want to push her just yet, but keep her warm!".
    At once, one could hear the rumbles spread through the ship as it started moving forward at a larger speed than that it had arrived with, and if one listened carefully, one could hear the fires that fed the boilers rumble deep down within the ship.

The Hephaestus moves 2 squares south.

Elamo watched, curiously, as the Lurini heavies started shifting into position. He didn't like the way they were creeping closer to his own ship. Moreover he didn't like the way their prow cannons were creeping closer to his own ship. Waving to a pair of runners, he had quick messages sent to his own Heavies, letting them lurch forwards and making quite sure one was in position to block lines of fire or broadside anything that tried to get in close.

Still too early to let the fighters forward. Still too early.
    Do YOU love Orks?

"Dimicales" Thesarious said, "Order Hilopames to deal with the Hunters."
    "Yes sir!" Dimicales salluted before he left for the messenger platforms scattered about the outsides of the ship.

Through the viewports, one could see how the second Artemis interceptor that was deployed started to fire up their engines. Smoke billowed from the vents on the sides of the ship as she took off with a high speed, keeping a southward direction.

Artemis II pushes the engine, rolls 2D3: total result: 3
    Artemis II adds 3 to her movement for a move of 5
    Artemis II removes 3 from her Steam power
    Artemis II Moves in a southward direction

"Well, that's a bold move. If he wants to dance with the Hunters, we'll let him."

One of the small, neat formations of Dark Cloud fighters peeled off from the main formation, coming around to face to oncoming Artemis. Most likely they would soon all be destroyed, but there were plentiful supples of them in waiting until Elamo decided on his latest inventive 'grant strategy'.

Dark Cloud Hunter Squadron H loses 1 steam.
    Last edited by RampagingRavener; 26-01-2008 at 22:57.
    Do YOU love Orks?

Seeing his tacticians shuffle arround the ships on the board and noticing the Hunter squadron heading for the second Artemis, Thesarus waved his hand at one of the communication officers who promptly hurried out the room.
    Moments later, the first of the two Artemis Interceptors started moving from it's position, steam billowing from its vents and leaving a white trace as it took off, building speed and enlongating it's trace of white smoke, much like the lokomotives on ground.

She steamed on, the Interceptor of Artemis class, brought fresh from the shipyards. Smoke billowed after her, a huge white banner as she came to aid her sister ship. "Open fire!" roared her captain, and she brought all guns to bear against the Hunter Squadron that was approaching the second Artemis. The flack filled the sky and two Hunters plumetted toward the ground, black smoke rising in their wake as the compressor engines ruptured in explosions and fire. However, three planes still made it and turned their attention toward the first of the Artemis sisters.

More flack was unloaded and gatlingguns were brought to bear, however, the Hunters all survived the onslought as they dropped their bombs. The heavy payload punched through the deck at two points, one of them hitting piping leading from the boiler, however, before the blast had any time affect the ship, second hunter hit the engines, causing the ship to cringe just enough for the third of the hunters. One lucky hit was all it took. With gouts of flame and smoke reaching for the sky, the first Artemis awarded to Thesarus starting sinking through the clouds. Crewmen rushed to put out the fires and grab the wounded, however, they all knew what was going to happen.

Aboard the bridge of the second Artemis, Hilopames could only watch as a friend of his went under with the ship, and he was not the only one, everyone saw the destruction of the first Artemis. Everyone that mattered at least, and they could all feel their hearts sinking, if only by a bit.

Summary:
    Artemis II spent 3D3 Steampoints
    Roll: 3, 3, 1 = total 7
    Deducts 7 from Steam
    Total move = 9

Engages in combat with Hunter H:
    8 Dice: one 5, one 6 = 2 efficiency destroyed from Hunter H
    Hunter H retalliates: 3, 5, 2
    One Direct Hit = destroys the Artemis

I loose 2 Morale

Elamo jumped from his seat, jeering and making obscene guestures at the burning form of the Atermis as it listed sideways, belching smoke and fire. Such a fantastic start, and all he'd lost was a few expendable pilots. Settling back in his command chair, he glared at the other light Interceptor lurking closer to his lines.

"Bring those hunters around the front of that Windrider." He said, waving at a mark that represented the ship on his board-map. If the other Interceptor tried to take the Squadron, they'd undoubtably all die, but Elamo doubted they'd be good for much else anyway.

"Oh, and bring your Captain some nuts." He said, snatching a clipboard from a passing flunky to examine the information. "He desires something to eat while watching the slaughter."

Hunter Squadron H loses 1 steam.
    Do YOU love Orks?