Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A Big Comic Book (And Manga) Thread

A Big Comic Book (And Manga) Thread

Since I enjoyed the both daunting and enlightening thread that was 'Convince me to read a Manga' in which I asked my fellow members to coax me into tasting eastern promices, I thought It would be interesting to start a thread pretty much based on all areas of comic bookery, for Recomendations, Reviews and all that kind of stuff, no area is beyond discussion, from spin offs like the Halo graphic novel to manga and other stuff from all around the world.

To kick things off, Since I doubt you want to read through my big essay of thoughts in one go, I'll just point out one interesting thing I came across recently.

Having read Ghost in the Shell and researched its related titles, I was supprised to come across an interesting little referance in the Alien V Predator omnibus vol 2. In it there is a character called Shirow, a coincidence I thought, until later on we see his ship is called 'appleseed' and in it is a photo of him with two women, drawn in a subtle manga style, one of which is clearly Mokoto from Ghost in the Shell, this made me smile, but also made me think that if I hadn't have looked into manga, I would'nt have got it, and manga fans who abstain from regular comics are missing out on little titbits like this.

More from my comic book odyssey later, In the mean time, anybody read any crackers lately?
    My Rag Tag Guard army, Space Marine Mercenerys and AdMech Sisters of Battle On Hold Sort of
    Come Join the Big Comic Book (And Manga) Thread and check out my BLINDING COLOUR! as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilltouch View Post
    El Presedente, that's just your filthy mind at work.

Re: A Big Comic Book (And Manga) Thread

People need to start reading the Spirit by Will Eisner series again.

The Great Grand daddy of modern comic books.

Only problem is because it was made WW2 era the portrayal of Ebony White (black taxi driver) is dated (racist)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit
    http://www.willeisner.com/

His character is also what Frank Miller's next movie is going to be about.
    Warmachine - Cygnar
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...58#post5204958
    My Ultramarine Log (as it is)
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142978
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Squinty View Post
    LOL - Rainbow Warriors - there's a blast from the past!
    Drogmir - you're showing you're age!
    (or excellent google-fu)

The current Spirit series, published by DC Comics, is surprisingly good. The first 12 issues have been written and drawn by Darwyn Cooke, a multi-talented creator who has a real respect for the source material. The 13th issue hits stores tomorrow (atleast here in the states) and features new artist Mike Ploog - a living legend who was an apprentice to Mr. Eisner.

A few other books to throw out there:

Artesia - A dark fantasy series with beautiful artwork and an immensely deep background. A series of mini-series which are all available in collected format.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - the current Dark Horse series is actually a direct continuation of the TV show. Creator Joss Whedon is helming the book and touting it as "Buffy Season 8". Quite good, but really only if you're already a fan of the show....

Fables - DC/Vertigo book based on the premise that all legends, myths and imaginary/literary characters are real supernatural beings and they've escaped their world and are hiding out in ours. This is just an amazing series and is a good one to hand to people who'd never read a comic book otherwise.

Immortal Iron Fist - While technically a Marvel "super hero", the current series reads more like a modern martial arts/spy film, with some supercool classic pulp action adventure thrown in with the flashbacks. Awesome stuff.

Kabuki - One of my absolute favorites. Creator/artist/writer David Mack throws so much into this book and it's evolved from what looked like just another bad girl book into a study in personal and cultural identity. And every page is a piece of fine art I'd want framed on my wall. Highest recommendation.

I've got plenty of other suggestions to throw out if anyone's interested because, well, I'm a big geek and I probably spend more money than I should on comics...

honestly, i find Garth Ennis's Preacher to be the best comic series I have ever read, contemporary anyway. Yes, I did just say that i think that it's better than Sandman, as good as Sandman is.

These days I've been reading a lot of Hellboy, Y: The Last Man, and the Walking Dead. All good stuff. I just started into DMZ and American Virgin. We'll see how those turn out.
    \m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

Host of True Metal Takeover

Midnight to 1:00 Eastern Time on Sundays

CFRC 101.9 fm in the Ontario area, streaming on www.cfrc.ca

Immortal Iron Fist is an excellent read, and I've been enjoying 100 Bullets immensely (because I'm a horrible person).

Read the Preacher series a while ago, loved it. Recently got Watchmen, V for Vendetta and both League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Loved 'em all. Also got the first two Walking Dead ones. Loved them as well.

I'm also morbidly curious about 'Battle Pope'....
    I went to a dyslexic rave last night. Everyone was taking F's and there was a guy in the corner trying to inject a heron.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Fingers View Post
    honestly, i find Garth Ennis's Preacher to be the best comic series I have ever read, contemporary anyway. Yes, I did just say that i think that it's better than Sandman, as good as Sandman is.
    Isn't that the truth, I just read vol 6 and It just keeps getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by kortholaxthedamned View Post
    Also got the first two Walking Dead ones. Loved them as well.
    A friend of mine leant me his walking deads over the summer but he'd only got them till a cliffhanger, and he hasn't bought any others because he keeps spending all his money on beer, grrr.

Currently reading Maxwell Strangewell, a rather obscure comic but great nontheless, also, my local comic shop is flogging a load of old manga's for dirt cheap, which means I don't have to worry too much if I buy one and it turns out to be dross (something that happens too often when buying western comics, I'm looking at you 1602:The New World)
    My Rag Tag Guard army, Space Marine Mercenerys and AdMech Sisters of Battle On Hold Sort of
    Come Join the Big Comic Book (And Manga) Thread and check out my BLINDING COLOUR! as well.

I've started on Sandman recently and its very good, though I'm not over fond of some of the artwork. I've got the first volume of the collected Nemesis: The Warlock at home too, looking forwards to getting around to that. I've alos recently read books 2-4 of Lone Wolf and Cub, absolutely amazing stuff. The art and story telling is just brilliant.

The Punisher Marvel MAX in print series is possibly my favorite comic atm. I just find the character of the punisher to be so fascinating. Favorites from the series so far are: In The Beginning, The Slavers, and Mother Russia.

The Punisher Born is also very good, it’s basically what happened during is last tour of 'nam that made him the man he is today.

Be warned though both are Marvel Max in prints so they are not for the faint of heart.

Sticking with marvel for a moment:

Iron Man: Extremis
    Possibly my favorite Iron Man comic of all time. Adi Granovs artwork combined with such brilliant script and plot make for a fantastic comic. Its also a very good starting point for anyone who hasn't read an Iron Man comic before as it tells you everything you need to know about Tony Stark without going into ridiculous levels of detail (which Marvel finds itself doing every now and again).

Book of Doom
    The life of Doctor Doom told from his birth through to his rise as ruler of the Latverian nation told in his own words. An interesting look at one of marvels greatest villains, essentially the tale of a young boy growing up to become a fractured and damaged tyrant.

Cable and Deadpool
    Its the odd couple. Tbh I only really read these for Deadpool but it still has a great mix of humor, action, and decent enough plots to make it worth reading for reasons other than lulz.

Other favorites of mine:

Frank Millers Robocop
    What Robocop 2 should have been. Written using Millers original script before it was mangled and ruined.

Last Christmas
    A very funny seasonal post apocalyptic sleigh ride with a not too jolly old Saint Nick. In the words of Albert Einstein: "I know not what weapons world war III will be fought with, but world war IV will be fought with candy stripped shotguns and ornament grenades."

The walking Dead
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before on warseer but it really is one of the best zombie comics out there at this time. Its truly excellent and I would recommend it to non zombie fans as well as the zombies are secondary to the characters own personal stories.

30 days of night
    I've only read the first book (after seeing the film) but I really enjoyed it. The visual style is very gritty and with a very sharp brutal almost animalistic edge to it. I hope the others in the series can match up but I can at least recommend the first.

And I'll throw in some manga for good measure:

Priest(Technically not a manga as its Korean but who cares)
    The story of a priest in the old west once devoted to his faith and then betrayed by it, tricked into releasing an ancient evil on the world. With everything he loves destroyed he sells his soul to a deamon for the chance at revenge and to stop what he set in motion. Not a bad series can get quite deep on the nature of gods, daemons, and faith but it is mainly lots of undead and deamon slaying. A lot of people complain about the artwork, its not fantastic but it works and that’s enough.

Battle Royale
    Rewritten by the original books author Koushun Takami(although the English translation has some significant differences to the original Japanese print due to problems in adaptation arising from release dates) into a manga format of I think around 13 volumes. It follows the plot of the book quite closely but its still worth a read as almost every characters back-story is expanded on. It is also considerably more graphic than the book both sexually and in terms of violence and gore.
    Last edited by The Laughing Man!; 30-01-2008 at 13:19.
    Heaven and Earth are impartial;
    They see the ten thousand things as straw dogs.
    The wise are impartial;
    They see the people as straw dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by El Presedente View Post
    Isn't that the truth, I just read vol 6 and It just keeps getting better and better.
    Just wait till you get to volume 9. The only book of any form or genre to actually manage to bring full on, going down the cheeks tears. Seriously, that one trade is an emotional hellride on every level.

Has anybody any idea when the seccond volume of 'The Boys' is coming out? Because I wish it would hurry up, same for the last Y:The Last Man.

Also, I am massively gutted that The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier won't be released over here, I have to get the bloody thing overpriced on ebay, either that or excrusiatingly avoid spoilers till I go to the states in the summer.

Has anybody any idea when the seccond volume of 'The Boys' is coming out? Because I wish it would hurry up, same for the last Y:The Last Man.
    27th of march for The Boys no idea about Y though.
    Heaven and Earth are impartial;
    They see the ten thousand things as straw dogs.
    The wise are impartial;
    They see the people as straw dogs.

....same for the last Y:The Last Man.
    The last issue of Y (#60) is slated for release this week over here in the states - I plead ignorance on what kind of delay you'll have before it reaches you though. Or are you looking for the last collected book?

Also, I am massively gutted that The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier won't be released over here, I have to get the bloody thing overpriced on ebay, either that or excrusiatingly avoid spoilers till I go to the states in the summer.
    I feel you on the whole Y issue. the wait for the last volume was also intolerably long, and the wait for this last trade looks to be even longer. WHY?! honestly, by the time Motherland came out, i'd forgotten info and ended up reading the last two trades before it, and it looks like it'll be no different this time around.

I'm reallys cared, since comic stores won't give mea projected release date, and Amazon is saying that it'll be released IN FREAKING JUNE here in Canada. come on! I know some one will dive in and say Amazon release dates for comics are not to be trusted, and that's true, but that only makes it worse since in my experience, 75% of the time, Amazon's projected release dates are actually SOONER than the reality, and not the reverse. ughughugh ad nauseum. It just annoys me. it's like, i've followed the entire series, and there goes any and all emotional impact the last trade could have on me. i guess i'll just go back and read the whole series again. hell, it looks like i'll have 4-5 months.

edit: oh and for the record, my favorite Y trade was vol. 4 Safeword. that was amazing. almost a standalone, in many ways, but just an amazingly psychological read. Vaughan at his best, in my opinion. For any who forget what this arc was, it's when...."mind games" are played on Yorick, to put it lightly.

oh and on League, i honestly don't care that much. I wasn't wowed by the first volume. Really, the concept is actually more brilliant than the comic itself. A for effort though, but Moore really is, in my mind, forced into being a shadow of his former self. this is shown by the second trade for League, which was just a big step down from vol. 1, which as said, i wasn't as blown away as most with as is. Volume 2 was just....i don't know, perhaps it stretched things too far, i just didn't enjoy it all that much. Well, aside from Hyde, who was at his absurd best.

As is, i've heard a lot of people calling Black Dossier a disorganized mess of a book. i sadly can't say i'd be surprised if this is true, as volume 2 was already verging on going out of control in the plot and with the dossier's fragmented form....i can't see how this'd make that problem better.
    Last edited by Dirty Fingers; 31-01-2008 at 05:14.

Has anybody read any of the Warhammer 40k and Fantasy comics yet, I've read Damnation Crusade and thought It was great, but not a very good intro to the 40k universe though. I'm not sure weather to look out for Forge Of War, as I feel fantasy comics rarely work (I can certainly never get into the D&D ones).

Preacher is awesome. I love it, am selling my house soon(ish) and have decluttered the house a bit, but insisited not to pack them away. I actually have a friend who named her first child Cassidy after the drunken Irish vampire.

Generally read more pulpy super-hero stuff, always been a big Spider-Man fan, very ********* off with this brand new day rubbish, hopefully they'll put it back to where it was before too long...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Just wait till you get to volume 9. The only book of any form or genre to actually manage to bring full on, going down the cheeks tears. Seriously, that one trade is an emotional hellride on every level.
    Can't think of many people I know, who didn't cry after reading it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

a) for a long time i dismissed western style comics 9with few exceptions) as too cliche-ridden spandex-wearing superhero-crap. of course i was wrong,but hey. anyway, reacently i borrowed two cool series: Y the last man and Girls, and i'm forced to change the view a bit. these were seriously cool, as is Fables that i'm trying not to read now(damn exams!).
    as for manga, right now i can recomend Red Eyes, cool "hard" military sf, lots of bullets flying, no teenage pilots in their super-mecha, a political plot...
    and Wolf and Spice, seems like a nice fantasy series, maybe a bit too similiar to others out there,but with only a few chapters out it's hard to say. art is great at least.
    "I'm Mr. Bad Example, intruder in the dirt
    I like to have a good time, and I don't care who gets hurt
    I'm Mr. Bad Example, take a look at me
    I'll live to be a hundred and go down in infamy"

Just getting into reading manga myself, and i just chewed my way through FLCL.
    Good for a laugh, and also a lot darker than the anime. Well worth it, and not too badly priced through amazon either.

I will follow this thread myself, as im looking for some more reading material as we speak...
    Currently painting- Super Dungeon Explore!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavfluris
    Eating penguins is a serious felony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylass
    OMGlol123!!@34!!

I can't suggest the Hellboy books enough. Namely Hellboy, BPRD, and the one-arc spin-offs such as Lobster Johnson and the Iron Prometheus.

Some of the best stuff out their, bar none. Much, much better than the films.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    I will keep this in mind in case I ever want to be a Necron bride.
    The Collect Call of the Cthulhu
    Damien 1427's Broad Collection of Tat - My attempt at actually painting things.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast