Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Flight Games to publish WFRP, DH and Talisman

Re: Fantasy Flight Games to publish WFRP, DH and Talisman

Hope they found a place for the old BI staff there too... Be nice to your staff GW!
    Bucket of joy
    The Redemptionists, a long term IG army building log
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkeosaurus View Post
    Orks are both Mean and Green, which gives them an inherent advantage over armies which are only Mean or Green, or are neither.

Librarian

Thumbs up Re: Fantasy Flight Games to publish WFRP, DH and Talisman

And here was me about to make a long and extremely complicated post about how none of the explanations for the closure of BI made sense and how we must all be missing something rather big...

But anyways I'm really happy about this. This does make sense. With the financial problems and restructuring at GW they probably realised they didn't have the money or people to invest in new books for the DH And WFRP lines, so made the sound decision to sell the rights to somebody that did.

However you've got to admit it wasn't the best of public relations to announce the end of the Black Industries lines a month before telling anyone that someone else was taking the lines over.

Oh and I feel really sorry for that guy who sold all his 40K stuff in protest at the end of DH.

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by AGC View Post
    Oh and I feel really sorry for that guy who sold all his 40K stuff in protest at the end of DH.
    Not me. I always enjoy when overreaction gets the best of someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minister
    In the battle between good and evil, they are on the side of green.

Quote Originally Posted by AGC View Post
    However you've got to admit it wasn't the best of public relations to announce the end of the Black Industries lines a month before telling anyone that someone else was taking the lines over.
    Agreed. I suspect that the FFG deal has only just been made, otherwise it would have been a much better PR coup to announce a handover rather than BI's closure, then this after a few weeks.

Either way, I'm pleased that WFRP will continue.

Chapter Master

This is fantastic news.

I've not heard much about FFG, but I've spoken to a few friends since the announcement and they had nothing but good things to say about the company.
    Allow me to add another positive voice.

1. FFG has done a lot of great stuff for Rackham, before they took over there were major distribution problems with AT-43, models being released months before their army book etc.

2. FFG also recently brought back the confrontation metals that a lot of the fans missed when Rackham switched to prepaints.

3. FFG has a complete media department (check out their rackham videos), great online galleries with 360 degree view, very professional approach.

4. I've been on the Rackham forums before, and FFG has a guy on there asking the fanbase directly what they want them to do next.

In short, I'm well aware of how well this company knows how to do business, and it's a good move. It was no coincidence that Rackham's financial troubles disappeared a few months after they started letting FFG handle things.

I found this part interesting:

!e agreement does not include certain GW titles in which miniatures feature as the predominant component of
    the game, such as Space Hulk and Blood Bowl.
    Since it potentially means that GW has an interest in making those 2 itself.
    Last edited by scarletsquig; 22-02-2008 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    As for BI, I hope that FFG sees the sense in picking up the freelance staff used by Green Ronin and BI,

Well, I've heard bad things about a least 1 of them....

Best news I've heard in ages this announcement.

Aside from the wonder of more DH stuff it should mean we get at least talisman supplemnt too ! This calls for more wine.

Excellent news. Now I'm waiting even more eagerly for my copy of Dark Heresy to arrive.
    PAINT FOR THE PAINT GOD!!!BITZ FOR THE THRONE OF BITZ!!!

My painting log. Mordheim and 40k

Veteran Sergeant

Lets not forget that there's a boardgame license in here too. A new edition of Space Hulk would make me very, very happy.

Commander

It specifically mentions that space hulk is staying with GW, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minister
    In the battle between good and evil, they are on the side of green.

Because some GW games use specific 40k or Warhammer models, it would be very, very, very stupid for them to licence out the models.

Of course, if they wanted to produce a Warhammer 40k game (say) using card or items they make themselves, GW will probably be happy for them to do so.

Anyway.

GREAT NEWS! I am really happy that GW has seen the value of outsourcing a product rather than scrapping it. I'm betting that a certain money maker at GW thought "Hang on, if New Line can sell ITS licence..."

Fantastic. This has made my day!
    - Huw

EDIT: I kind of feel sorry for Sabertooth Games, though.
    Last edited by Huw_Dawson; 22-02-2008 at 19:14.
    I have a blog! leftsideofliberal.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I for one, welcome our new penguin overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by scarletsquig View Post
    1. FFG has done a lot of great stuff for Rackham, before they took over there were major distribution problems with AT-43, models being released months before their army book etc.

2. FFG also recently brought back the confrontation metals that a lot of the fans missed when Rackham switched to prepaints.

3. FFG has a complete media department (check out their rackham videos), great online galleries with 360 degree view, very professional approach.

4. I've been on the Rackham forums before, and FFG has a guy on there asking the fanbase directly what they want them to do next.
    So basically, FFG is the hero of the RPG and tabletop scene: Saving Rackham AND BI! What next? A LatD Codex, Xeno terrain, plastic Tyranid gargoyles and a female Farseer miniature?

I'm doing the silly dance of joy right now!
    I hope that they'll also re-print some of the now hard to get books for WFRP like Children of the Horned Rat; reading the announcement it seems to suggest just that.
    The only real unnatural act is one which you cannot perform.

There is one issue.

How well is the UK going to be served by a US company? FFG is a solely US distributor at the moment - will they be able to supply UK stores with lovely shiney new crisp new book smelling copies of Dark Heresy... I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought! Where was I. Ah yes.

The only other issue is what happens if Rackham survives. FFG is now serving two competing companies, both in an in depth way!

- Huw
    I have a blog! leftsideofliberal.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I for one, welcome our new penguin overlords.

Banned

Thank the gods! I've been worrying and frustrating over expansions for Talisman, now it seems we may still get them, after all, there's only so many times you can draw Demon without getting bored, it really is too good to just let die, nice one GW/FFG

Perhaps the Rackham issue is one reason why the GW mini lines are NOt being covered ? Helps avoid a conflict of interest perhaps ?

Does this mean Block Mania, Warlock of Firetop Mountain as well? It seems to refer to (many) board games but only mentions specifically the BI one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahwell Skel View Post
    Does this mean Block Mania, Warlock of Firetop Mountain as well? It seems to refer to (many) board games but only mentions specifically the BI one.
    Potentially, but it's a licence with GW and its properties. Stuff like the Judge Dredd RPG and Block Mania aren't owned by GW so FFG wouldn't be able to republish them.

Didn't Mongoose release them not too long ago anyway ? I'm pretty certain they have or had the license not too long ago.

I wonder how strict the "no minis2 clause is ? Be a shame if this precluded a new Dungeonquest. I mean I've still got andplay the original but missed out on the expansion(s) and the few I've seen on Ebay etc go for stupid money.

Wonderful News ! Reading that thread was the best way to end my day of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw_Dawson
    How well is the UK going to be served by a US company? FFG is a solely US distributor at the moment - will they be able to supply UK stores with lovely shiney new crisp new book smelling copies of Dark Heresy... I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought! Where was I. Ah yes.
    Are you sure you don't have a master retailer already distributing them to shops in your country ? For exemple in France and in Spain FFG products are imported in a very efficient way by Millenium Distribution.

WOW! FFG is the god of boardgames. This will be niiice.
    Winner of threads since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by a squig View Post
    Messiah you have just caused my beffudled brain to dribble from my ears
    hu⋅mil⋅i⋅ty –noun the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast