Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Flight Games to publish WFRP, DH and Talisman

Librarian

Re: Fantasy Flight Games to publish WFRP, DH and Talisman

Oh ... how there was wailing and knashing of teeth just a few short weeks ago.

GW sucks for closing BI, it was profitable blah ... blah ... blah.

to all the BI naysayers: There's a reason for everything folks. When something completely defies reason, then we're looking for reason in the wrong place.

GW is fighting for its life, essentially handing everything non-mini related to FFG is part and parcel of that. Now GW can concentrate on what it does best (or at least it tells us it does best) ... TT miniwargames.

Now, if only we could FFG to take over the whole thing, maybe we'd see some progress in the quality of TT mini games too.

That's the best news of the month.

FFG taking over the GW roleplays, card-games and board-games.

Awesome.
    Last edited by Ghal Maraz; 22-02-2008 at 20:46. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by GAWD View Post
    Now, if only we could FFG to take over the whole thing, maybe we'd see some progress in the quality of TT mini games too.

Now, I would actually prefer a cohalition of FFG, Privateer, Green Ronin and Mongoose, but that's just me!

If only FFG could take over Babylon 5 ACTA from Mongoose as well..
    Winner of threads since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by a squig View Post
    Messiah you have just caused my beffudled brain to dribble from my ears
    hu⋅mil⋅i⋅ty –noun the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Chapter Master Supremearchmarshal's Avatar

Finally! A good move on GW's part!

FFG are paying GW $250,000 for Sabertooth:

http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sha...ory_id=1937307

Looks like GW are going down the licensing route to try and create an income stream without too much effort. I suspect that the GW suits have been scavenging the GW archives for properties that can be licensed. What other announcements do we expect?

Someone else taking on SG?
    'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works.' JRR Tolkien.

Thanks to Goddess...

And to mr. Petersen.

The professionists are finally arrived.
    Ten thousand years ago, Space Marine Forged the First Imperium with their Great Crusade. And that Imperium lasted for Two Hundred years.

Then Rogue Traders Founded The new, second, Imperium, and this lasted to our Days

Quote Originally Posted by Ghal Maraz View Post
    Now, I would actually prefer a cohalition of FFG, Privateer, Green Ronin and Mongoose, but that's just me!
    Please no coalition with Mongoose. They destroyed "Battlefield Evolution", "Starship trooper", "Babylon 5 ACTA". They don't have any credibility left. Sorry to say that, but that's how it is.

Chapter Master ThousandPlateaus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brandir View Post
    I suspect that the GW suits have been scavenging the GW archives for properties that can be licensed. What other announcements do we expect?

Someone else taking on SG?
    I wish that were the case, but I imagine that they're far too miniature-based for GW to let go of them. A pity, I think, as I'd love to see further support for the existing SG, or re-releases of older SG like Man O'War.

I would also love to see the re-issue of Space Hulk and Warhammer Quest, even perhaps some of the older MB Games/GW sets would be cool as they all still sell for good money on eBay.

Cool, I can downgrade my irritation with the BI closing finally. Sending the RPG stuff out of house makes perfect sense, it was only the fact that by what was discussed sounded suspiciously like they were ignoring that market altogether, which was dumb business. Outsourcing the risk of the business and just collecting licensing fees is par for the course in the RPG industry. GW really should have mentioned the possibility of a license in the first place (or at least made noncommital hints like "we are discussing the possibility" or something), would have saved much grief. Of course, now my anxiety goes into "how much is FFG going to tinker with things", but again, kinda par for the course with licensing so no big deal .

"Sir, the Dark Heresy special edition sold out in 6 minutes, and the standard edition sold out before release. We risk to be buried in piles of money!"
    "You are right. Let's get rid of the profitable parts of GW, fire the lead designers, screw the indies and concentrate on the new LOTR miniature range. We don't want to get out of the deficit zone, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Huw_Dawson View Post
    Fantastic. This has made my day!
    - Huw

EDIT: I kind of feel sorry for Sabertooth Games, though.
    Huw, I told you in PM I wouldn't write but I wanted to let you know about this part. Yesterday and today all the Sabertooth guys were interviewing. I will not speculate (publicly) what this will mean for their jobs. The presumption is that means more HQ moving from Baltimore to Memphis as it does free up a lot of office space. Accounting and finance has already moved and due to cost of living there are some advantages outside of Memphis tax incentives.

If any Sabertooth guys are brought on board they will be moving somewhere cold.

Okay, Huw. I am back out.

Excellent news, now I can rest in peace.

Seriously, this is a great deal, both for GW and FFG. Hopefully we'll see many good things come out of this.

Excellent news - I'm glad supplements for WHFP, Talisman and Dark Heresy are coming out.

Not sure why GW didn't announce BI closing and the new licence with FFG at the same time. Would have saved everyone a lot of anguish.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bael View Post
    Not sure why GW didn't announce BI closing and the new licence with FFG at the same time. Would have saved everyone a lot of anguish.
    That leads me to wonder whether or not it was their plan all along, or just a knuckle-headed business decision that someone smart near the top of GW managed to salvage with the FFG deal. How long would a deal like this normally take to work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post
    Please no coalition with Mongoose. They destroyed "Battlefield Evolution", "Starship trooper", "Babylon 5 ACTA". They don't have any credibility left. Sorry to say that, but that's how it is.
    Oh, didn't know that, they're all games I don't play. Perhaps is better I amend my previous post, no?

Shame about no new Space Hulk/miniatures games, but this is unexpected good news anyway.

If this company is mostly about CCGs and RPGs, it probably won't interest me much. But there were all-card properties in the past such as Battle for Armageddon/Chainsaw Warrior, it would be great if some of these were revisited, though no evidence they would be from the messages.

Blood Bowl was originally a card-only game, the miniatures came later. Not suggesting they'd do BB (as GW still does it, ta very much) but something like Space Hulk could be re-done with card termies/stealers. A bonus for GW is that serious players would be directed to GW to buy more satisfying 3D models. I can but dream....

Chapter Master

huw, FFG games are available all across europe mate....

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Bael View Post
    Really? I think they did it this way just to watch all their fanboi cry babies soil their pants ... it worked.

Chapter Master

Well, whatever next! A sensible business decision from GW! Will there be a blue moon any time soon?
    Cheers
    Paul

Note to self: don't buy anything more until you finish painting what you've got already!

My Undead Army project log

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast