Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaos Dwarfs - What would you want for a 7th ed. list?

Chaos Dwarfs - What would you want for a 7th ed. list?

Having a look at a few Chaos Dwarf galleries and websites, I really like the whole theme and idea of the army and race. A lot.

What changes would you like to see happen to Chaos Dwarfs if GW decided to revamp them for 7th edition?

New units?

Major rules overhaul?
    Last edited by Dux Ducis; 15-03-2008 at 11:55.

| Vermintide: a Skaven hobby blog |

Banned

Re: Chaos Dwarfs - What would you want GW to do if they developed CD for 7th ed?

Theres about ten threads on this topic dude.

Re: Chaos Dwarfs - What would you want GW to do if they developed CD for 7th ed?

I'd like them to use the search function and to keep all the existing units and maybe add a few daemonic engines (Hellcannon, Collosus etc.)

Well I either:

- Create a new thread and people complain that I don't use the duplicate feature, or

- Update an old thread and be convicted of threadomancy and get another warning

Banned

whats threadomancy?

I've been warned for using the g-a-y word mods seem to jump on everything here.

Anyways i would love a new Chaos Dwarf book but hope to high heaven they are not 'tagged' into the new HoC book as i believe this dilutes chaos plus CD are cool enough to get their own book anyway.
    < This post has a report Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I'd definitely go with a style much more like the Hellcannon Dwarfs. Maybe a particular unit or character type with big hats, but only if they can make it look less stupid.

The theme should be around Daemon Engines (I'd have a sort of steamroller/lawnmower thing shaped like a daemon bull). Less focus on infantry than the normal dwarfs, and I'd make them Ld8 instead of 9 to represent the fact that they're more selfish and less willing to give up their lives for the clan like normal dwarfs.

On the plus side, they get fast cavalry (hobgoblin wolf riders) and a heavy cavalry equivalent (bull centaurs).

Not sure what they should do about Orc slaves. I think I'd just have Hobgoblins, and keep the other greenskins out of it.

LORDS
    Chaos Dwarf Lord
    Sorcerer Lord
    Bull Centaur Lord

HEROES
    Chaos Dwarf Hero
    Sorcerer
    Daemon Engineer (makers of the Daemon Engines - somewhere between a Dwarf Master Engineer and a Skaven Warplock Engineer)

CORE

Warriors
    Blunderbusses
    Hobgoblin Wolf Riders
    Hobgoblins

SPECIAL

Bull Centaurs
    Forge Guard (Elite Infantry)
    Hobgoblin Sneaky Gitz (Skirmishing Scouts with 2 Poisoned hand weapons)
    Death Rocket

RARE

Hellcannon
    Foegrinder (steamroller thing)

....something like that would be my starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedBarbarian View Post
    whats threadomancy?
    Posting on a thread that's been dead for a long time, thus resurrecting it.

Yeah that looks good, but I'd also like to see some more Chaos Dwarf units, rather than just greenskins that have been ported over from O&G.

Probably one more rank-and-file unit, or some kind of cool upgrade for only one CD unit - say a special type of 'mark' or chaos mutation upgrade. Like tusks (+1 S on the charge) or scary faces (-1 to enemy break tests) or cloven hooves (ignore the -1 for pursue and retreat) or something like that. Afterall, they've been heavily touched by chaos, so they should have some mutations showing, not just the sorcerers.

Maybe also officially rename hobgoblins to gnoblars and use the current models, with a slaver upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Dux Ducis View Post
    Yeah that looks good, but I'd also like to see some more Chaos Dwarf units, rather than just greenskins that have been ported over from O&G.

Probably one more rank-and-file unit, or some kind of cool upgrade for only one CD unit - say a special type of 'mark' or chaos mutation upgrade. Like tusks (+1 S on the charge) or scary faces (-1 to enemy break tests) or cloven hooves (ignore the -1 for pursue and retreat) or something like that. Afterall, they've been heavily touched by chaos, so they should have some mutations showing, not just the sorcerers.

Maybe also officially rename hobgoblins to gnoblars and use the current models, with a slaver upgrade?
    Well, a couple of options for CD units would be a slightly longer-range missile unit - I'm thinking along the lines of Skaven Jezzails - i.e. 2 dwarfs on a cavalry base with powerful but expensive missile weapons. They shouldn't have long-range units like crossbowmen or thunderers, as unlike normal Dwarfs they have the advantage of cavalry.

For elites I'd probably have two different types. One a simple veteran-type unit, perhaps acting as a bodyguard for Lords (perhaps with Hatred or something like that). The other the Forge Guard, guarding the Sorcerers' Forges, and perhaps with some sort of magical ability due to being so close to all that magic all the time (magical flaming attacks perhaps?), or armour that gives them immunity to fire.
    Last edited by Odin; 15-03-2008 at 09:32.

I like that list Odin, apart from the Bull Centaur lord as in the Fluff they are elite guards are they not? so I couldn't really see them leading CDs. I also think the only greenskins in the army should be Hobgoblins.

A good idea would be to include big hats as optional on the plastic and metal kits.

Great Taurus and Lammasu MUST stay! as must Astrogoth.

I would like a steam/deamon powered collosus above all other things.

Another idea I had (which I submitted to GW) was for a unit similar to Dwarf Miners, only instead of them "mining" i.e. using picks etc. they use stick of dynamite! (a much easier way to extract gold etc. than hard work with a pick!) they could throw these short distances and the army would only compose a small amount of them, a unit which I thought could acompany the CD Blasting Crew would be "Mountain/Fire Wyrms, basically very small (I'm thinking swarm style unit) underground dragon-like creatures. They are driven out of their underground homes by the blasting of the dynamite, they cannot see (as they spend all their time underground) and as such could have random movement which could be influenced by the blasting teams goading them forward with dynamite blasts. They would also have a very short range fire breath attack. They are NOT dragons, but look like very small blind albino versions of them.

Chapter Master

Big Hats.. keep the assyrian look and Im happy!

Aiding the scum of the (40K) universe... STILL!

Quote Originally Posted by NakedBarbarian View Post
    whats threadomancy?
    Resurrecting old threads with no positive input to them. If its that earth shaking an addition you need to make to a thread, then create a new one. Let the old ones R.I.P.

I've been warned for using the g-a-y word mods seem to jump on everything here.
    And quite rightly, read the FAQ if you need to know what you can and can't post. WarSeer has a PG13 level policy for posted content. You want to post 'potty-mouth' other forums are available.

If you are going to ask a question about an army first of all please use the search function to see what's been raised before. If those threads don't offer what you're looking for feel free to raise another.

PhilB
    :chrome:
    + WarSeer Mod Team +
    "I am Ironman!" - Tony Stark - Avengers: Endgame
    Jon 'BRIMSTONE' Wilson - Friend and gamer RIP

* KYLIE MINOGUE Appreciation Society *WarSeer Medusa V Chaos Warlord
    *\m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/*
    WarSeer forums FAQ Please read
    "Arm yourself, because no one else here will save you!"

Chapter Master

Didn't the fluff written to accompany the Storm of Chaos results mention the Chaos Dwarves fielding a unit of "Immortals" heavy infantry wearing armour made from stone or something like that during the fight with the Dwarf Host holding the pass against Krom's horde (Battle of Thermopylae for stunties ...without the getting slaughtered bit ).

Something like this would be nice considering the number of elite infantry in the normal dwarf host so long as they didnt insist on having an equivalent for each unit the normal Dwarves can field (these guys sounded very much like ironbreakers)

Banned

Something equilivant to iron breakers.

That would amke me a happy happy man.

Don't mind the searchmonkeys...
    I'd like them to shoot themselves in the leg, because CD never appealed to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTwentythree View Post
    I just wish skaven had something "heavy hitter"-ish.

1000 year-old lords of the walking dead? Chosen avatars of the dark gods leading horrible creatures from another dimension? Ancient members of the civilization who created the very world upon which we wage our wars? Bah! We're skittish mutant rats. We've got a bell. And we're going to ring it till your ears hurt bleed. Bitches.

The main consensus here seems to be no orcs (only hobgoblins/gnoblars) but more CD units in the form of a few special choices.

So how about a special unit with plate armour and options for shields, great weapons or flails; and another unit of special forge-guards or body-guards for sorcerers that have hatred or some other special rule?

Can someone tell me what they mean when they talk about big hats and mask/helmets? Is it something to do with the look and style?

I understand that some models have big hats (which I don't mind personally) and others have masks - is this just a style issue?
    Last edited by Dux Ducis; 15-03-2008 at 11:14.

The only caveat I have here re: orcs is that the original fluff states that it was the Zharr Dawi who actually created the black orcs (similar to Saruman creating the Uruk-Hai). Thus in order to stay true to the background I think it is entirely proper that they remain in the list as slaves along with the hobgobbos. The rest can be dropped as necessary I think.

Cheers, Gary
    Admin - Bugman's Brewery

"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire
    "Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown

This is what I'd generally see a completed Chaos Dwarf list would look like:

• Lord
    • Chaos Dwarf Lord
    • Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord
    • Some Daemon/Avatar of Hashut

Hero
    • Chaos Dwarf Champion
    • Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer
    • Chaos Dwarf Slave Master
    • Chaos Dwarf Forge Master (engineer)
    • Bull Centaur Champion
    • Hobgoblin Champion (cannot be general)

Core
    • Chaos Dwarf Warriors (one can be upgraded with minor mutations)
    • Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses (range extended to 18", str3 (4 at close range))
    • Hobgoblins (no animosity, suffer hits from slaver to increase fighting ability)
    • ? Another slave unit ? (minor beasts or mutants?)

Special
    • Elite Chaos Dwarf Guard (with plate armour, shield and GW or flail)
    • Chaos Dwarf artillery (death rocket, etc.)
    • "broken" orc slave unit (no animosity, suffer hits from slaver to increase fighting ability)
    • 0-1 Black Orc slave unit per slave master in the army (no animosity, suffer hits from slaver to increase fighting ability)
    • Hobgoblin bolt thrower
    • Bull Centaurs

Rare
    • Hell cannon
    • Earthshaker cannon
    • ? Some big beast ? (every army is getting one these days)
    • Animated petrified Chaos Dwarfs

More emphasis on the dwarfs themselves but still retaining the slave units and 'evil dominance' over weaker races. It would give the possibility of playing an all-CD army, a slaver army, or a mix in between.
    Last edited by Dux Ducis; 15-03-2008 at 12:09. Reason: I don't need a reason.

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Re: Chaos Dwarfs - What would you want for a 7th ed. list?

I'de like to see a move away from filling up the handful of CD troops and units with orc and goblin units.
    Currently you have CD warriors,the deathrocket,dwarf bull centaurs and the earthshaker.
    Thats 4 unit choices, not a lot.
    You have this supplemented by orc boyz,goblins,hobgoblins,hobgoblin bolt throwers, black orcs and sneaky gitz. 6 Orc and goblin choices.

More CD infantry type units would be nice to see.
    Some form of elite CD unit available in several incarnations..this'll help pad out the dwarf part of the list somewhat.
    Another type of shooting other than the blunderbuss, prefferably not a move-or-fire weapon as to allow CD lists to be far more offensive than their normal dwarven counterparts.
    Some form of ogre sized monster to the list, be it a daemonically created automaton of sorts or simply a mountain troll...again a split from what the normal dwarves have available to them.
    More war engines.
    Death rockets and earthshakers are all well and good....but we've seen that the chaos dwarves can make things like hellcannons. A close combat war machine as well as a slightly toned down variant of the hellcannon would be nice to see(no reason the hellcannon was a standard machine, Archaon paid the CD to make them I belive and they are certainly very dangerous to the user).

I'de like to see the great taurus and llammasu stay, specifically the llammasu.

My own vision of the how CD army should work is one where the army itself is screened by hobgoblin units and takes pot shots with a couple of fairly powerful but slightly unstable war engines. The Chaos dwarf warriors and such will slog it to the enemy behind their screen and some more heavy hitting and faster flankers like bull centaurs would be taking the flanks.

That'll allow for mostly slave armies and full on CD only armies and a variety of different builds from artillery heavy to no shooting lists.

As for actual imagery, the current babylonian/assyrian(I think) look works very well but that should be the more magical side of the army. The opposite side we'de have a more steampunk-eske dark daemonforgeing style more akin to what we see in the hellcannon. With war engines that are essentially alive and/or powered by daemonic energies.

Basically I want to see a more offensive twist on the current dwarves with some access to hoarde slave style troops but with a less effective mass shooting ability at range beyond about 12".
    Last edited by theunwantedbeing; 15-03-2008 at 12:53.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Canary Islands (yep that little 7 things near to africa that nobody knows)

I'd say make them real crazy, but not random and uneffective, giving them rocket launchers, some kind of STANK maybe an underground driller maybe some kind of forge golems or steam robots, and changing their look, not making them the "Babilonian" theme of fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    Da Black Gobbo you sir are a genius. Emperor bless you.
    Working on: Kabal of the Final Breath. (+2500 points fully painted) Games played:24, 13W/5D/6L
    Here: http://w40ktenerife.blogspot.com/201....html#comments
    6th edition DE record: W3/D0/L1

Banned

I would keep the orc slaves too. CD are enslavers as Dux said and they created the black orcs.

I wouldnt add greenskin artillery since they would just use them as fodder while trusting only their superior artillery machines.

I wouldnt mix demonology with Dwarves since they have never been entrusted to the chaos that way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast