Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bretonnian Blood Bowl Team Conversion

Re: Bretonnian Blood Bowl Team Conversion

The wood elves look good to me, Emperor Norton. They're a little bit shiny, that's all - nothing that a coat of dullcoat won't dull down. Shading on the flesh looks good too. I can't see much wrong with the colours and shading, except that I tend to avoid painting yellow because over a black undercoat it often looks patchy - or in the case of the wood elves, a little brown. Another highlighting coat, maybe? I have to say, I think the problem might be the models anyway - those tights are always going to be difficult to paint!
    Keep the teams coming - both of these are looking good!
    <

After the remaining Wood Elves (they aren't as shiny as they appear in the picture btw.) I probably won't paint any Blood Bowl figures for some time and switch over to Mordheim, which currently is the only game I play regularly at the moment. Okay, I play Blood Bowl regularly, too, but only once a month and the team is already done.

Here are some pictures of teams I have already finished, though.
    Although I mention occassionally that I have been painting for four years or so these teams (plus an additional two I can't get a picture of at the moment) form the bulk of what I have been painting. So the number of miniatures I have done is comparatively low.

The infamous Southfarthing Suicide Squad:

Some figures from teams I started but haven't finished (yet):

There is a bitter story about those Valkyries...
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332
    <

I especially love the teams Shadowforge has done and these were my pride for a long time:

After looking at them for the first time in about two years I realized that maybe my painting has improved more than I usually admit to myself. At least I think that if I were to paint them today I'd do better.

This is my favourite team ever. I was in love with them the moment I first saw the preview and I ordered them the day they became available. Probably the painting project I invested the most effort in, too. And I think it was worth it:
    <

Excellent blood bowl teams, Emperor Norton - I like that Shadowforge womens team a lot, and the female Orc team is priceless. I love the pink! Nice painting too, with some very nice shading. Looking forward to seeing some Mordheim warbands now!
    <

Yeh bloodbowl! the best game in the world.

nice teams tooEN!

rev
    <

Man your bretonnian team is awesome, I'd so love to play against them

rev
    <

Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    Man your bretonnian team is awesome, I'd so love to play against them

rev
    And I'd be honoured to play against any of your teams, no matter how intimidating those Black Orcs are.

After finishing the Bretonnians I suffer from an Ogre fixation.* Back when Ogre Kingdoms was released I bought a box of Bulls to turn into a Blood Bowl team. It was never finished, though, as I tried to paint their pants in plaid and failed.
    Recently I was reminded that my local store's third highly traditional bi-annual Blood Bowl tournament will take place in September and I thought getting my Ogres done for that would be nice. The Ogres themselves won't be much of a problem once I have decided what colour to use to cover the failed plaid.
    Their little helpers will be more of a problem. The rules pair the Ogres with Snotlings, but I think I'll go with Gnoblars. Once I have found some for a reasonable price, that is.

*I have also started work on an Ogre for my Sisters of Sigmar, which, apart from some leftover bits, will be mostly sculpted by me. And I'm even worse at that than I am at painting.
    <

Brother Sergeant Ashton.Sanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    They may not be perfect, they may not even be what most people consider tabletop standard...
    Whatever! These are great. I absolutely love the leather on the friar-type guys. The colors are super bright and fun. Good work. Thanks for sharing.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton.Sanders View Post
    Whatever! These are great. I absolutely love the leather on the friar-type guys. The colors are super bright and fun. Good work. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you. I hope it's not too late for that.

I have been working on another team, as I plan on going to a tournament on Saturday and wanted to play Amazons. It's not entirely new, as you could already see three of the girls in a picture above, which I painted years ago. Now it was time to do the whole team.

So far I put on the base colours and some washed and just did the first highlight on the skin. Still plenty to do, yet so little time. I probably have two hours each on Thursday and Friday to finish them. That'll be hard.
    <

EmperorNorton, that team of women in blue is looking amazing! How did you do the flesh? And the blue? Really, really nice painting. Also, what minis are they?

Excellent work - what do you have planned for the bases?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Count Sinister View Post
    EmperorNorton, that team of women in blue is looking amazing! How did you do the flesh? And the blue? Really, really nice painting.
    Ah, the picture is deceiving, then.
    The skin simply is Elf Flesh washed with Ogryn Flesh and then Elf Flesh again.
    The blue is Ice Blue washed with Asurmen Blue.
    Both need another highlight or two.

Also, what minis are they?
    They were sculpted by Phil Bowen, who used to sell them through his own little company, Phil's Phigs. Now they are available through Impact! Miniatures.
    While they are neat minis overall, the detail and casting isn't that great, though, at least on the ones I have.

Excellent work - what do you have planned for the bases?
    Nothing fancy, there's no time for that. So probably just some grass, but I like the idea of adding a bit of snow, so I might have to experiment with that.
    <

To my surprise work didn't occupy me as long as I had feared and I found time to get some painting done today.
    So fellers, put on some Sir Mix-a-Lot, because today I have mostly been painting...butts:

Just another, lighter layer on the skin. I'll probably stop with that lest their skin colour gets too light.
    So tomorrow I can do the highlights on the blue and have Friday for details, bases and general cleaning up. Sounds doable.
    <

Contrary to my earlier plans it took three hours each on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to get my team done.
    Not completely finished as the bases still require work and some details need attention, but that will have to wait until after the tournament.

Certainly not perfect, but I think they are pretty good.
    But then I also thought these might warrant a couple more replies, so what do I know.
    <

Veteran Sergeant Fastforward rlz's Avatar

yeah I think the way you have it is much better now
    -Alex
    <

Veteran Sergeant

To me it really seems like you doubt your painting skills. I know so many people that have been in the hobby for ages that don't even have a fully painted army! I must say the bret team looks amazing, I really like the theme, and as for the painting in general I don't really see a problem with it! I think it's great! Also good job on all the teams you've painted, I really like the female ork team, it's quite humorous and can see it being a team favorite for a lot of people.

The blue and the flesh on your amazons turned out really well! Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged you are doing an awesome job!
    <

Excellent work, EmperorNorton! That's a lot of butts to paint, but they look good (the minis, I mean...). Really nice flesh tones, and the blue is great.

Top notch!
    <

Excellent work, EmperorNorton! That's a lot of butts to paint, but they look good (the minis, I mean...). Really nice flesh tones, and the blue is great.

Top notch!
    Thanks.
    I hope your shoulder is better. Are you back to painting yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    To me it really seems like you doubt your painting skills. I know so many people that have been in the hobby for ages that don't even have a fully painted army!
    I wish I had a fully painted army...well, I'm working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I must say the bret team looks amazing, I really like the theme, and as for the painting in general I don't really see a problem with it! I think it's great! Also good job on all the teams you've painted, I really like the female ork team, it's quite humorous and can see it being a team favorite for a lot of people.

The blue and the flesh on your amazons turned out really well! Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged you are doing an awesome job!
    Thank you very much.
    The problem I have with my painting is that it's never as good as I want it to be. Adding to that my lack of patience and self-esteem and I get discouraged rather easily.
    Recently I have been happier with the results of my painting endeavours, though. Maybe my skills are improving after all.
    <

It's true, EmperorNorton, patience is the key. Once you start to tell yourself to wait, and take your time, it's amazing how much your painting can improve.

As for the shoulder (and thanks for asking!), the big problem is that I injured the other one a few months ago, so everything's a bit awkward! I'll be seeing the surgeon next week, though, so I'll know more then.

As for getting an army painted - you'll get there, and with your painting coming on the way it is, it's going to look brilliant!
    <

Veteran Sergeant

Excellent work on these teams! You have inspired me to dig out my BB halflings and get them painted up, as well as scratchbuilding some treemen from twigs and greenstuff!

Oh, and for your ogre team, have you considered the old plastic goblin models? They might make good BB players, and match the plastic ogres look?
    <

the amazons look awesome, A whole day painting butts - what a 'crappy' job (hehehe)

rev
    <

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast