Page 37 of 157 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Thread: Solun's Tabletop & Board Game Miniatures

Re: 1500 points of Chaos - Countdown to completion

Good ideas for finishing the lord are emerging, i have thought of covering it with chaos black and wiping it away after wards to darken it and make it look like caked in dirt in the crevices, any good or am i just saying stuff that doesn't work as atm i have only painted nids, so have little practice in anything else but have found that i "absorb" techniques ect. that i see.
    The Great Devourer is coming. Either stand and be Crushed or be Crushed all the same.

My Tyranid and Space Ork Log

Well, you could still simply paint black dots/ellipses to the gunbarrels...
    How'd the GT go?

Cheers,
    Monsterzonk :skull:

Re: Solun Tackles Sanity - Technicolor Night Gobbos en Masse

OK, I'm back here after putting a lot of time into my 40K Plague Marines.
    To get myself into the mindset I started by finishing that first unit of Night Goblins properly. I made the banner a bit more interesting and I decided my base experiment wasn't worth it so it's just brown base rims from now on.

Here's the mob now:

So, I've been wondering alot about what to add to this army, after painting up the BfSP gobbos but hadn't bought anything. I then saw that an old player was selling off all of his stuff, since he hadn't played for years. I ended up just asking for a price if I took all his O&G stuff and got a bargain. Well a bargain and an army very much in need of repair. Here are some photos so horrible I'll only link to them, rather than openly show them on my log.

#1: All the stuff I got, I actually got that GW figure case and the two huge bit boxes too:
    http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5695/01001u.jpg

#2: Some boyos, still on the sprues (a good thing!):
    http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7258/02001q.jpg

#3: Some special stuff I picked out. There's a Pump Wagon, Wyvern, Giant, Boar & Wolf Chariots, metal Netters, Orc Shaman, Warboss, Doom Diver Catapult and then there's the box of Black Orcs. I lost count at 30, so it's between 30 and 40 Metal Black Orcs, most unpainted, 4 still in the Blisters:
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3320/03001r.jpg

#5: Contents of plastic bag #1:
    http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8122/05001d.jpg

#6: Contents of plastic bag #2:
    http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4011/06001.jpg

#7: Contents of bit box #1:
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7458/07001.jpg

#8: Contents of bit box #2:
    http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1867/08001j.jpg

#9: If you look in the upper left corner of photo #8 you'll see this:
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4417/09001cv.jpg
    That's not a bit! That's Grumlok & Gazbag!

#10-12: Contents of GW figure case. There's the plastic warboss on foot and boar, more BfSP gobbos and a Savage Shaman:
    http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4959/10001b.jpg
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7279/11001.jpg
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9108/12001r.jpg

#13: 3 River Trolls and some other stuff in Terpentine residue (I actually got it like that!):
    http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/908/13001.jpg

OK, so I've got my work cut out for me. I think for starters I'll just pick out one nice impressive miniature and paint that up, before I get into more batch painting. Which one it is will be revealed before long!

Thanks for checking by my log. Feel free to C&C!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 06-10-2009 at 10:29.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Allright! Sorry I haven't replied in a few days. I just wanted to address all this and post a couple of photos at the same time, after the GT.

@The_Dark_Raven: Thank you very much! I've taken a couple of long breaks and gone a bit under the radar

@Mr Feral: My army's got a simple base scheme so it's just the brown dirt and ash grey drybrush, even if it's a Lord. I know what I'd like to do to the face and understand how it's not perfectly right but I'm not touching it. I couldn't bear making a mistake there at this point Thanks for the advice, and I hope you'll "let it slide"

@Orange1095: Well, that's not far from what I did to the gun (after the last photos were taken), although I just concentrated the black wash in lines and recesses to deepen the shade effect a little. Maybe it could have used more. I also took Dezmord's advice and scorched up the Melta nozzle a bit. It was all very quick though and only with a watered down black. More browns and Chestnut Ink could also help grime up the gunmetal.

@Monsterzonk: Heh, that's right. Maybe I'm overthinking this GT-results below!

OK, here's an army shot of the 1500 pts I brought to the ICE-GT:

And here's one more of the Lord with his nurglesque minions in the background. I think the gun's a bit more interesting, otherwise it's just the same old Lordy!

GT - day 2:
    OK, so I fought my first battle in the second day (4th battle overall) with another Chaos Marine player, actually a boy who lives in the same building as I do. He also had Khorne marked Termies and a Land Raider and some Pague Marines. His Lord was with a Khorne Daemon Weapon though, so when he charged my Termies and got a 10 on the double attack dice, I never got the chance to hit back. He still didn't get far enough away afterwards to avoid my Defiler and with no Chainfist in the squad it was just a matter of time.
    The mission wasn't about killing Termies though and afterwards he really should have left mine alone and gone for the Plague Marines, since they ended up holding my home base objective, while I contested his, so it was a win for me.
    For the last game I actually had this slim chance of winning, if I won my game against the top scoring player then and the players in 2nd & 3rd lost theirs. One of them did but the other didn't and I played with 3 objectives against Sisters of Battle with a healthy dose of conscripts and Guardsmen in Chimeras. I think I played pretty well and took good decisions trying to hold the objectives but in the end it was the tourney winner with a very strong list (not cheesy though) I was competing against and my list was put together solely for the looks. I should have made more 3+ saves in the end but it was still uphill all the time and he ended up wiping me out in turn 5 (he really wanted the killpoints because they were the tie breaker).
    Soooo ... Win, Draw, Draw, Win, Loss for the 5th place overall out of 16 players. I'm pretty happy about that.
    2nd in painting and actually don't feel really great about that. Go figure!

OK, so I've got stuff I want to do that I will be representing here. The bearded Lord I'd like to paint up sooner than later and I've got another Khornate Daemonic Vehicle conversion going on. Also an old school super heavy diorama project, albeit in a scale one 5th of the size of these, haha!

In the near future I'm going to shift over to Fantasy though, so if anyone's interested you can check out my Gobbo log. I just added an update there, showing some of what I've got in store for that army.

Thanks for checking by everyone, and feel free to C&C!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

It takes a lot of willpower to prevent myself from squinting when I look at your goblins. This fact alone makes them fantastic.

The army looks like quite a project in it's own right. Keep us updated.

Nice work, the gun is much improved! looks like streaks of grime from what i see, good.
    The Great Devourer is coming. Either stand and be Crushed or be Crushed all the same.

My Tyranid and Space Ork Log

Commander

Great looking army! I really like how you have done the termi-lord, and the colour scheme.
    Your views much appreciated as I need all the help I can get!
    My WH blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195162
    My Iron warriors and word bearers project log http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260551
    Imperial Blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288036
    Xenos Blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288038

Congratulations to your 5thplace - not to shabby a place compared to the number of players.

2nd in painting and actually don't feel really great about that. Go figure!
    If I understand you right, you're not that happy with 2nd place in painting - do you think the winning army didn't truly deserve first place? Do you have any pics of that army? I don't think that the chances to meet an army on a tournament that is able to compete against the painting of your army are that high - I'm a big fan of your models, you know!

On the lord: Yeah, I think you've managed to improve the gun.

@Orange1095 & Hammer49: Thanks guys!

@Dezmord: Thanks! It's just funny what expectations will do. I'm happy about 5th place because I didn't have high hopes there, but being so close to 1st in the painting (and not really competing with 16 others, but only more like 1 or 2 others that are really into painting at this standard) makes 2nd kind of irritating. Of course the 1st place army was impressive, tyranids with huge wings painted in really bright yellow and blue, and looks super cool on the table and catches your eye from across the room. I guess I was just hoping more people would look closer at the small details in conversions and painting, but super flashy colors trump all that any day of the week. It's also obvious that I got a lot of good grades from a lot of people to take 2nd (because the 3rd place army was a really really nice ork army as well) so there's no reason to be disappointed, really!
    Funny thing is that it's my 3 man gaming group of friends that returned together to 40K that took 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in painting. We have a different focus from a lot of the other players.
    I guess the disappointment is mostly in letting myself think I could win when my friend with the tyranid army was basically the favored winner before it even started.

Enough about that!

Thank you all for checking in!
    sd
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 07-10-2009 at 08:25.

@Lord Dan: Haha, thanks! I'm really doing this army for the bright and colorful feel, so that it's a very different style from my grimdark 40K stuff. I take it you find them bright enough?
    It will certainly be a long process and just sorting out all the bits and deciding what's worth fixing up is quite a task. I think I'll just start with a simple orc shaman actually, maybe painting up a night goblin shaman along side it, just to get myself going and to have a usable, proberly painted General for the army.

Alright, here are two character minis ready for paint, an Orc Shaman and a Night Goblin Shaman.
    I first had to strip them of the old paint, then prime. After priming I saw a bunch of glaring mold lines that I had missed so I cleaned those off and brush-on primed over those areas to fix the primer.

These photos really don't serve any purpose except report which modles I'm about to paint.
    Next posts: some PIP progress!

That colour scheme is just crazy! But it works really well... Kudos to you for attempting to paint an entire army of them. I fear your thread title may prove more accurate than you thought. But then, insanity might come pretty handy for painting more Chaos Marines. So, go on.

Cheers,
    Monsterzonk :skull:

NOOOO! Why did you take away the green rims now!? This is so crazy oldschool in a good way, goblingreen bases are a must!

I love all this stuff, only thing I would add - some more extreme highlighting on the shields, compared to skin, hoods and spears they just look very, very flat. Some pure white highlights might do the trick.

This is actually the first time I have ever (and I suspect will ever) advocate the use of goblin green on base rims.

Commander

wow is that crasy... :-)

So Garish! And yet it really works!

NMM is very good. Love the pattern on the fanatic's ball too!

I know what you mean about the average rating (I upped your average slightly, it deserves it )

Keep up the great work!

BM
    Check out my log of random things here.
    Currently painting Iyanden Eldar

Wooo, bunch of nice comments

@Monsterzonk: Heh, thanks man! I think one way or another this project will make me more appreciative of painting & converting Chaos Marines and hopefully those projects will be better for it

@Aulbath: Thanks for the advice. I think you may well be right about the yellow shields, they need a deeper shade or a brighter highlight (or both). Also, I'm now going to have to do extensive testing on base rims (Bestial Brown, Graveyard Earth, Snot Green ... )!

@Lord Dan: See above^

@Mercutius: Heh, thanks! ... ?

@BoyMilla: As the following photos show, I'm nowhere near done with garish! I'm hoping for it to come across, not as me using too many and bright colors on my minis, but as the Goblins using too many colors on their attire, but my painting representing it truthfully. Thanks for the nice comments, I hope I can expand a bit on the NMM on different weapons, that's a huge learning experience for me right now.

OK, so I've got some paint on the two Shamans.
    Just got a little shading done on some of the robes so it's all a bit rough still, but you can see where I'm going with this (and boo me off the court if I've really gone too far this time).

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome!

Nice stuff, very shiney!

You might want to check the brown coat of paint on the orc shammans robes, looks uneven.

Other than that, looking great! Keep em comming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Wow, had to put the shades on to check out this thread. Very unique and cool mate, coming along very nicely.

@Caiphas Cain: Thanks man! Yes, I think the brown will need at least 1 or 2 more coats to be nice and even and ready for shading. Then again, I have this tendency to start out with everything kind of rough and a bit sloppy, then smooth the whole thing out in the highlighting process.

@mousekiller: Heh, yeah, what I lack in teqnique, I make up for here in color. Your Night Goblin log sort of put me to shame though, and that last band of Marauder Horsemen you did just blew me away! Thanks!

Page 37 of 157 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 137 ... LastLast