Page 92 of 157 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 3138

Thread: Solun's Tabletop & Board Game Miniatures

Re: Solun's Tabletop & Board Game Miniatures

Hahaha HereBeDragons! I'll have to do a snotling pump contest
    And to prove to you Urgat that I'm still going strong in 28mm I've both done a little painting and a whole lot of 28mm terrain over the weekend.

I painted something something on the Khorne stuff. There's probably a difference since last time and it's slowly getting there.

Mainly some red shading/highlights and some detailing on the hooves.

Also a different point of view on the Land Raider:

I'll throw a huge party when those vehicles can finally be pronounced finished!

Here's a 24"x48" block of terrain (1/3 of a standard 40K table):

More WIP in the tale of terrain builders but long story short I made that whole thing twice because I mixed the plaster wrong the first time and it wouldn't harden.
    If it dries properly this time (it BETTER!) there'll be a terrain painting session next weekend.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Plaster terrain? Hope you don't have to move it anywhere. I need transport for my table mountain.
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

That's an excellent looking piece of terrain. I can't wait until I am able to live somewhere where it is worth me investing in the stuff for making terrain (moving every year or two with little storage space sucks!)
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

A very good chariot. I always wondered about what to use for a Khornate-Daemon-Chariot. Funnily enough, the Slaanesh-Chariot didn't strike me as an option when it came out...

@mrtn: Haha, yeah. Its amazingly heavy when it's dried. However the bulk of the terrain is polystyrene foam, which is super light and the plaster is only used for surface details. The whole thing is not that heavy really. The extra weight just makes it feel sturdy and "real".

@Jonahmaul: Thanks man! Yeah, it's really fun to have a "messy" place to work in. Storage for this is still going to be a problem, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Maybe I can donate it to my FLGS. It would see more use there anyway.

@Dezmord: Well, I think you were right about the Slaanesh chariot. I really couldn't use any of it for this, except the wheels. If I'd have realized that I probably would have found or made something else for the wheels. The main part of the chariot is two bits from the Chaos Bike and more or less everything else is from the Chaos Vehicle accessory sprues.

@Karak Norn Clansman: Thank you very much! I really appreciate that.

Not much happened since last time, except I roughened up the Polystyrene surfaces on the terrain with some Spray Primer.

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Well, I think you were right about the Slaanesh chariot. I really couldn't use any of it for this, except the wheels.
    Oh, that comes as a surprise - never having seen the exact Slaanesh-Chariot-sprues, I thought you had used more parts from it for your conversion. Maybe I'll build a chariot someday also. I still have the FW Khorne-Herald lying around somewhere...

@Dezmord: I thought I could paint it bone colored and it would be Khornate enough, but I just didn't feel the model for Khorne. It's a wicked cool Slaanesh chariot though, so I'll end up just assembling it as such.

OK, I've been doing a pretty massive session lately that I like to call "The Great Phynishing". A whole lot of models that have been too long on my table are getting the attention they needed.

Here's one of them, and it comes with a question.

Question: Is the battle damage cool enough to apply so heavily to the Land Raider too?

I don't have more time now, but I've got a whole lot more to show and a continued speed paint tut for the Plague Bearers. Soon.....

Plaguebearer step by step continued from here.

Sorry about the photos being randomly with and without flash.

Painted the bone base color back on over the washed bone/horns/teeth areas for highlights.

Eyes:
    Not everyone will agree that a 5 step layering on eyes is speed painting, but I can't compromise on the eyes!

RMS Bloodstain Red (any dark red)

VMC Flat Red (any bright red)

VMC Orange (any Orange)

VMC Lemon Yellow (any strong yellow) and finally just a hint of white into the yellow to make it pop. Make sure not to cover the yellow as that'll desaturate it too much and kill the spark a bit.

Eyes done!

Pick out some details in very bright purple or pink. This is VMC Purple mixed with White (double the amount of white to purple, that's 2:1 White:Purple, so much more white than purple).

Cover the pink/purple details with GW Leviathan Purple wash.

A spot of the bright purple base color on each detail to liven it up a bit (later I'll do an even smaller spot of pure white on each).

RMS Rainy Grey to highlight the swords a bit.

OK, they're not completely finished yet, but I think the only thing needed, apart from basing, is a final tiny highlight of pure white on the swords, purple details and maybe the horns and green skin too, just to get a little bit of extra pop.

I think the battle damage looks great and would work on a Land Raider. But I do have a slight criticism (gasp) - there's no damange on the doors on either side of the top hatch! These are the areas that would be thumping against things and getting scratched/knocked/dirty etc. so these should have damage on them too. The Plague Bearers look amazing, seems so simple but such great results! Excuse my stupidity but what is RMS? I know it's a paint range but don't know which!
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

EDIT: @Jonahmaul: Thanks man! Yes, I thought about the doors too. I was just a little bit scared of messing with that color and the Daemonic patterns and stuff. i think I should just go ahead and damage the whole thing.
    RMS: Reaper Master Series. I use it more than any other range.

And here's this dude. I still have to do a final pure white highlight over bone colored stuff and the Black NMM.
    The reason for the weird colors is that it was dripping wet when I took the photos. I had to rinse completely after a little accident. The accident also broke off the underhanging daemon on the right side and it was really tricky to get that back together as both arms broke off him and of the door, adn then needed to fit exactly the same back together so I wouldn't have to repaint.

I painted all Khorne Daemons' eyes along withthe Plaguebearer eyes, to save time. Also their swords on the Land Raider and the Herald's, and highlighted the Juggernaut along with the Land Raider and what was unfinished on the Rhino.

So if you look at the Battle Damage on the Rhino ... do you think I should go for the same on the Land Raider?

here's a little basing session underway:

Everything is getting finished here. I'm looking forward to having some new stuff on my desk sooooon!

I definitely think you should do it on the Land Raider too. I did the battle damage on my Vindicator with a sponge and I was pretty happy with how it came out (you can see it in my sig). Maybe some scorch marks of claw marks where the Bloodletters coming out have scratched/burned the doors would be cool. I like the one on the left hand side of the Raider the most as it looks like he's materialising out of the tank from that angle rather than just coming out of a hatch. Not sure on this because it's difficult to make out in the picture but it seems you don't drill out the barrels on your bolter weapons - shame on you!!!

Yeah, I'll do the damage to the Land Raider as well Jonahmaul. It's cool that you see that effect in the left hand bloodletter. Makes it all the more daemonic
    I don't always drill barrels, but most of the time I do. I've painted the barrels on the Heavy Bolters now. Let's see how you like that (once I post it).

Everything I've been working on is more or less finished now. I'm preparing to take proper photographs with a proper camera. here's the first one:

Last step on Plaguebearers: Spot/edge highlights with pure white on pretty much everything.

I've done five of them in this photo to compare with and without the final highlight. Makes a difference, doesn't it?

This stuff is finished! That includes the 24"x48" piece of terrain. All finished this week. Finished in the sense that final touches were done, not start to finish.
    Some of it exceeds my expectations, some parts I let slide or deliberately rushed. You be the judge of the final results.

Finished Plaguebearers!

Finished Herald of Khorne in Chariot!

Finished Khornate Rhino!

Finished huge piece of terrain!

I even did a final extra drybrush on the other pieces of terrain so I sort of superfinished them as well.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 03-10-2012 at 13:28.

...continued...

Finished Khornate Daemonically Possessed Land Raider!

I have to digest the paint job a bit before I go ahead with the battle damage, so for now it's finished!

I've been thinking how long it is since I started this model, like a year and a half or two years, so I went back to find this post, dated November 30th 2009. That's three years! And that's only two months after I finally finished my Nurgle Land Raider which was a year and a half in the making (18 years if you count the time it sat half built in my mom's storage room).
    It seems I've never really not had a Land Raider WIP going on. I still have an unopened one in my cupboard. Guess I'm going to have to find a good conversion idea for that now, eh?

Finished last SDE hero!

I still have to do grey NMM on four of them, jeeez! I hid those back there in the bokeh

I have pretty clean painting desk now. What to do next? Conversions or just painting, Fantasy or 40K, single mini or batch...
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 04-10-2012 at 13:25.

Great work! It's a good feeling to finish that many old models. I've been quite disciplined recently, I only have some dwarves and Croats on the go.
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

Excellent stuff.
    The Plaguebearers are suitably gross.
    The terrain piece looks very interesting.
    I like the designs on the doors of the tanks a lot. Makes them really special.
    I do not like that particular shade of red on the Juggernaught pulling the chariot.
    And I think the hair on the Ember Mage could use a little more work, but maybe the picture is to blame.
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    And I think the hair on the Ember Mage could use a little more work, but maybe the picture is to blame.
    I agree. She could use a bit of outlining around the eyes too (but maybe the pic's to blame again).

I think it looks great - the edge highlighting on those plaguebearers look excellent.
    Plog of Jericho - Wood Elves, Daemons, Beastmen, CSM and Whatnot.

MD: You got a christmas gift?
    House: Yeah, 'cause I worship Santa. Or wait, is that Satan? I always get them mixed up.

@mrtn: Thanks! yeah, it's a great liberating feeling. Until I se something I want to fix that is, hahaha!

@EmperorNorton: Thanks for the detailed comment man!
    The red on the Jugger is the same as on the vehicles, except for the big shoulder/hip parts, where it blends more in with the lava effect on the icons. I'm hoping that's the color you're talking about, because I'm willing to re-shade that a bit, or do you find the red on the head and lower legs weird too?

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    I agree. She could use a bit of outlining around the eyes too (but maybe the pic's to blame again).
    The pic is not to blame. That's a really good photo actually and shows exactly how bad it is. I was just going to throw paint on it and let it slide (and put it behind the others on my shelf) but the hair just isn't good enough. Outlining eyes is also something I deliberately skipped but I don't seem to be getting away with it

@Satan: Thanks man! Yeah, I'm really happy how it was possible to put the pure white highlights straight on without them looking too messy.

So now I've already got a todo list on my "finished" models:
    • Battle Damage on Land Raider
    • Touch up hair and eyes on Ember Mage
    • Fix red shade on Jugger's shoulders/hips

The Plaguebearers, my "mindless speedpaint", seem to have come out perfect though. Makes you wonder.....

Page 92 of 157 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 ... LastLast