Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A tale of two dwarf slayers

Talking A tale of two dwarf slayers

Hi guys!

A (very) short prelude:

Quite some time ago ekxw (the man whom you should know at least from this splendid dwarf/HE log a dwarf painting project) proposed me to paint at the same time with him the Avatars of War slayer model, one of the various masterpieces scuplted by Felix Paniagua.
    I obviously agreed and today, after some delays caused by study/generic real life events/painting of other minis (at least by my side), we finally decided to start the project.

Since we plan to paint our respective slayers up to the highest standard we can achieve, we'll both look for advices and critics so, if you have any, don't hesitate and post it .

For mine, I will use a mordheim slayer as a "test" mini for all the colours: when I'll complete one tone, I'll post pics to get your impressions and then I'll transpose that tone to the AoW one. This is just to avoid the risk of getting a colour done wrong and having to strip/repaint the model... usually when I paint a piece for display I use this method.

And, just to start asking a question : the rear of the hair of my slayer is hideously flat... I wonder if mine is a miscast (no, not a double 1) piece?

BTW, if you're interested in the project, come in! Subscriptions are open and free !

Toschenko
    My "to do" list. Last completed mini: IF Sternguard veteran Currently working on: IF Librarian and Sternguard squad

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowheart View Post
    Paint needs no explanation. Undercoat allows none.
    My painting log, now totally devoted to the Imperial Fists 4th company - battleworn style!
    A tale of two dwarf slayers - top level painting exercise with Avatars of War minis

Re: A tale of two dwarf slayers

Uhmm getting ready.

i will try to paint mine in earth colours, and i will try to paint him to the best standart i couls, so want all the advice i could get.

Uhmm i think the part of the hair isnt a miscast, its just tha the small piece of hair its just for the rear not for the front of the beard

i will put some pics of my slayer when i started to paint him

I meant this:

I've already started the GS gap filling work... I was thinking of sculpting some more hair over that part, but I definitely feel more comfortable with a paintbrush in hand than a sculpting tool . I need to do something to fix it though

OT: ekxw (and all spanish people reading) congratulations for the cup! At least we went out against the european champions... but it's not that great consolation

Toschenko
    My "to do" list. Last completed mini: IF Sternguard veteran Currently working on: IF Librarian and Sternguard squad

My painting log, now totally devoted to the Imperial Fists 4th company - battleworn style!
    A tale of two dwarf slayers - top level painting exercise with Avatars of War minis

Oooh, subscribed! I love both your work and am looking forward to watching it progress. I've got the same mini undercoated and waiting to be dressed Just trying to get my skills up before unleashing colour all over Felix's beautiful mini.

Toschenko - mine has the same flat hair at the back - a bit of GS and you should be good to go.
    Check out my BfSP (& other) Dwarfs - please leave comments & critiques

i think i will try with green sttuff but im very bad with it.

so i will have to try.

Fun idea! Looking forward to you painting one colour a month for a year (or whatever method you want to do it ).
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

XD uhmm its more like we want to finish the post when we think we have finished the slayer, and i think that we will try to paint the slayer the better we could.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    Fun idea! Looking forward to you painting one colour a month for a year (or whatever method you want to do it).
    lol, the idea was slightly different

And, just in case you were wondering, here's the first update with actually painted minis

This is how the test mini look for the moment: compared to the pic that I posted in my other log, I added some highlights and several glazes . The skin is still PIP, so I'm open for suggestions. I'd like to hear what you would change, improve, and possibly why: don't take into account that the mini is a WIP, since it's better to change something at this stage than later.

Thanks in advance for the landslide of comments that will come

Toschenko

Well I wish I could give suggestions but you are too damn good of a painter!

-Sunny
    What can I say, I'm a happy guy

uhmmm so good job, i have to start my slayer soon, this weekend i will start with the flesh, i want him to look perfect XD, and i will try glaces for first time mujajajaja.

Thanks.

The skin tone has turned out to be too pink for my taste, maybe I'll try with another one (on a different mini!): tell me what you think though:

And a better view of the face:

Toschenko

Wow Toschenko, the blending and highlighting on the flesh tone on that slayer looks bloody brilliant. Cant wait to see some more updates, keep up the good work.
    Veteran of the Psychic Wars

What has he got a tea cosy on his head for?

TOHC

I think you could mix some green into the fleshtone and shade the deepest recesses with it, that might cool the skintone down a bit.

-voiceofthewarp
    Currently taking sculpting/painting commisions

Vampire counts log
    -Empire log

I don't think it's too pink. In fact I think it's just right. Though if you wanted to go overkill you could probably throw a little red in there (representing some 50 years of alcohol intake).

It's a beautiful paintjob so far in any case.
    Plog of Jericho - Wood Elves, Daemons, Beastmen, CSM and Whatnot.

MD: You got a christmas gift?
    House: Yeah, 'cause I worship Santa. Or wait, is that Satan? I always get them mixed up.

Fantastic Toschenko (as I knew it would be)! I tend to agree with voiceofthewarp though - I'd add a really thin purple wash for depth and a thin green wash to tone down the pinkiness of it - real skin does actually have a very slight and subtle green tone in it (depending on the race of course)... But either way, it's looking bloody brilliant so far!
    Check out my BfSP (& other) Dwarfs - please leave comments & critiques

i have finished a hight elve charriot this weekend, so i havent painted much of my slayer but tomorrow i will put the first pics, i have put just the base colors and a litle more but, something is something

Care to post pics of the chariot in the other log of yours, mate!

Now, on with at least one pic :

I can claim that the first attempt on the skin is finished... I started a second one using the same technique (alternated layering/glazing steps) but this time starting from Tallarn Flesh instead of Dwarf flesh: unfortunately I have no pics of the progress so far as it's at a very early stage... and so it will remain at least for a while, since yesterday I nearly broke my wrist during a soccer game, and for now I can't even try to think of painting

However, I added some more glazes, mostly green ones, and it really helped a lot in breaking the pinkyness of the colour. I'm aware of the red dot on the lower lip, oddly I didn't notice it until I took the pic.

Toschenko

Don't fret your skin tones. I suggest painting the hair first, , and perhaps basecoating his jewellery and weapon, and then you can decide if it's too pink. Many's the time I got all worried about overly purplish tones on my Dark Elves, then when I painted everything else it looked just fine. Personally I reckonz you're on to a good thing, and painting bloody well, even for a bloke that doesn't have a broken wrist.

Good luck, I say.
    Layne's project logs.
    Rose of Nagarythe - Mighty Mongoblin Golden Horde! - Commissions. - Imperial Guard
    DO NOT feed the sculptor.

ok this afternoon i will post the first steps of mine i swear, cause this look like the tale of one dwarf slayer XD.

Damn that figure looks fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuchilbara View Post
    and what you all want, a RAGNARAK MOTHER****ERS
    Quote Originally Posted by asmodai_dark86 View Post
    Christ on a motorbike its like you've demolished all the work!
    VVD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast