Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Its Not Quite Right! Its Patches Log!- Finished spartan!

Its Not Quite Right! Its Patches Log!- Finished spartan!

Hello! greetings from the UK!

this is my log, (I guess, my name is on it...) Patch is my real name, I work in a model shop, I play guitar. Now you know me, welcome to what I call the scary door. 'You are entering the realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic or contains some kind of monster. The second one. Prepare to enter... The Scary Door.'

Today I made my first 'historic' kit, a spartan warrior. He's not too cannon, and I based him of king Leonidus from the comic 300. In an attempt to make him comicesque I painted him very in a very grimy, near unrealistic way.

the flesh is weirder in this photo than under more natural light, I'll work on getting brighter photos when my camers finially fully charged.

I realy liked the sheild:

and this, this is because I can...

Thanks for stopping down, and leave a comment if you like it, I guess as its a log I'll post any future work, until then, bye!
    Last edited by del-patch; 25-10-2008 at 16:34. Reason: will the title change?
    But alas, the giraffe is also the gayest animal in the zoo.
    "Religion... **** it," Stephen Fry.
    Ghosts+marines?! that can't be right!

Re: Its Not Quite Right! Its Patches Log!

Not keen in the model itself but the painting is good. The freehand is cool and the blood effect looks great. I think the plume could use further highlighting though, even if you are going for a grimy look.

And Master chef is very well painted I must say...

Re: Its Not Quite Right! Its Patches Log!

thanks I'm quite proud of my blood, I've been working hard recently to make a cool and sort of realistic

Hmm, I think your right ablout the plume, it realy should match the red dressing. I'll have to do that at work where I left him on display. Master Cheif was pre-painted, I just neatened him up, and gave him a black wash. I also gave him a symbol (a slice of pizza!)

This morning I found time to get a brighter, more realish photo. I also used auto level on my editor, so it should be a bit better.

I think you can see the cut. I did a realy detailed face, but it got covered, I thought it could be removable, but it scratched the paint too much. d'oh!

any coments from the kind public?

Re: Its Not Quite Right! Its Patches Log!- Finished spartan!

hmm, little comment action...

new things too! With my friend Laurence (see, I said I would mention you!) we bought some Warlord plastics. They are brilliant, although the scaling between the the Celts and the Romans are, um odd at best. every Celt is at least a head taller than the romans! Still, heres my first Celt, the colour theme is going to be blue, so I get to use more woad!
    One down, 29 still to piant...

I also had some spare spacemarine parts laying round from my current ghost marine chapter, so I tried my hand at sculpting banner, I think its a bit... 'meh' but later attempts can only get better...

I also made an Alpha Legionaire, I tired to make him plain, and look unasigned to either the imperium or chaos. I removed any symbols. I think he's going to be a bit of fun to paint.

thats all for now.

Hi there Del-patch. The Spartan is interesting, and does have a grimy feel to him. One thing that strikes me as bit odd is the shield, a small bit if dirty (probably from smaching into people's faces, but the rest is squeaky clean.

I'm likeing the wide leg stance on the space marine. The banner looks good as a base for you to go over it with a thin layer of green stuff to tidy it all up.

Who are the Ghost marines? (as in whats their fluff if you have made any up).

Thanks its nice to get some replys... :P

well the shild issue is now very noiceable to me now (grr) I see what you mean realy, the sheild isn't that clean in person, the photos lie I say!

The 'ghost chapter' (name hasn't been considered yet) are a chapter of marines who where ambushed by a chaos chapter, and took severe losses. the chapter espcaped by rapidly withdrawing to the chapter ship (forgoten the stupid name of it) and stopped the chaos force following them by entering the warp. whilst in the warp they (and the dead) where infected by a warp virus, the virus reterned the corpses to life, but also stipped any living tissue from the marines. The chapter now a mockery went into hiding. the virus also allowed the chapter to become much like ghosts. originaly the chapter awnsered cries for help, saving many worlds, appearing like ghosts, then disappearing after the battle is fought. Now the chapter is slowly making its way to Terra, to bow before the Emperor and repent for their failing against chaos, and weakness to the warp. they hope then their forgiveness will come, either in death, or resserection of thier dead.

Hows Bob, and yes he IS keeping that name, no matter what you sculpted on the base!

Quote Originally Posted by delpatch
    well the shild issue is now very noiceable to me now (grr) I see what you mean realy, the sheild isn't that clean in person, the photos lie I say!
    Thats alright the camera does some strange things.

well The 'ghost chapter' (name hasn't been considered yet) are a chapter of marines who where ambushed by a chaos chapter, and took severe losses. the chapter espcaped by rapidly withdrawing to the chapter ship (forgoten the stupid name of it) and stopped the chaos force following them by entering the warp. whilst in the warp they (and the dead) where infected by a warp virus, the virus reterned the corpses to life, but also stipped any living tissue from the marines. The chapter now a mockery went into hiding. the virus also allowed the chapter to become much like ghosts. originaly the chapter awnsered cries for help, saving many worlds, appearing like ghosts, then disappearing after the battle is fought. Now the chapter is slowly making its way to Terra, to bow before the Emperor and repent for their failing against chaos, and weakness to the warp. they hope then their forgiveness will come, either in death, or resserection of thier dead.
    I like the idea that they are ghosted by a virus and are sans flesh like the Thousand sons, just hollow armour. They also sound like the Legion of the damned, maybe they are two seperate chapters but because of the similarity of how they appear and disappear the two stories have become intertwined.

*Knock* *Knock* (opens door) "hello Mr Abnett yes you may borrow the story of the Ghost marines for your next Novel"

well Hows Bob, and yes he IS keeping that name, no matter what you sculpted on the base!
    Yes Captain Capitus of the Ultramarines Second company, or known as Bob, is waiting patiently for the white undercoat to dry.

great, can't wait to see him done!

They use the same rules, so I had to put some similarities in the fluff. I forgot to mention, the marines look normal to the other members of the chapter/infected, but anyone who isn't infected sees them as bone. The marines who died in the battle have damaged armour, so we can see the bones ect. the colourscheme is a faded, almost glowing blue, to make them appear as of they are ghosts etc etc etc.

wow... I did something! from a week or so of working, I have payed for, and made 1000pts and a tad more of the ghost chapter (hmm I need a name now)

I've even started to paint these fellows, a brilliant shade, I know you will agree () of metallic purple! Odd yes, but I think its alright, then again I love purple. I'd also like to add that the camera always lies... :P

Its awaiting the sarge, but he got a bit broken, so I'm awaiting super glue.

I also converted a captain for later use, and taking slaaaaaaaneshe's (I think thats right) advice, I ordered in some green stuff at work.... I need to work on getting rid of those thumb prints now, I didn't realise it would be so waxy, but I realy love the material, much easier to control!

Painting isn't something that comes naturaly to me, and I realy have to push myself to make models look alright. I'd rather never paint and only convert, but a painted army realy is the best thing to see, so I'm going to push myself and go for a table top quality minium rule for this army, no rushing!

still got my first 1000pt game against a radical inquisitor attached to a large troop sm army. Hehehe deep striking vindicator should see me thorugh.
    Last edited by del-patch; 19-08-2008 at 10:35. Reason: my words are wronginged.

I managed to win! Just, with one scoring unit left in play! I must say that 6+ invun saved the vindicator from a rending shot!

thats all

but i liked the blue marines

well they are dead... well more dead. You know what I mean!

Metallic purple looks better, besides this way I can paint detail, not just a drybrush and then ink wash... lazy...

Unhappy Re: Its Not Quite Right! Its Patches Log!- Finished spartan!

Quote Originally Posted by joeh View Post
    but i liked the blue marines

oh ok i supose i can live with them.

Some new fellows for the army, I like to have lots of options.

Librarian and his little friend:
    I love most of the space marine range, but that guy had no hood! So I sculpted one.

Jump Chaplain:
    He uses the raptors pack, it looks way more ornate!

Terminator captain :
    Uses the free snap fit guy, with a front I found in my bits box (not painted by me, phew, I'm not good, but gosh, those terminators where rubbish).

Powerfist captain: I wanted his to have the same appearance as the older editons, so I made him a bit snobbish (thus why he's holding his cape)

I have another captain, with plasma pistol and power sword, but he really need paint stripping, half of him is pre painted, badly!

Any comments?
    Oh I'm working on my fluff, its be scrawled in a note pad at the moment.

Banned

Really liking that Sparton warrior, the bloodied up shield is fantastic

Pretty cool models, the Spartan looks great and I like the librarian. How come they all have skulls though? Is it something to do with the fluff of the army?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Argos View Post
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Drongol View Post
    The Kn'lurzac, a race that feeds on the terror of the weak.... but they're still fuzzy bunny men.
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134041 - My Log

The spartan is very unusual for these forums, which is probably why nobody knew what to comment. He's good though.

The Legion-of-the-Damned-esque marines are cool too. I like the idea of them making their tortured way to Terra in the hope of salvation. Have you seen Digits's skeleton guard?

thanks hallowed, I love painting blood! I tried not to go overboard though, a fatal flaw in war based minis...

Reserrected, cheers, think he looks a little better in person, shame firmilliars are no longer a viable option. Yeah, all in the fluff. They have a virus aflicted to them by a great unclean one, making them appear like bones to uninfected seninent beings, this means that to each other, they look fine! They can also recruit, but as the infections in the geneseed, they too have the same flaws. I think I want some Grey Knights in the army, so I'm going to need some escuses... I think I will write up a full fluff, and post it on the log here and the BandC....

De Selby, thanks! Its not something I do myself, I just resently got an interest in historic side of modeling, shame he's not very cannon to either 300 or real history! Yes I have seen that army (I had the same Idea about 3 years ago, but it was a vampire like sorcer and his cronies having fun, I never went thorugh with it though!) I didn't really take insperation, if I did, I think mine would have looked way better! On that note, I think I will have to reread the whole log, to, um get insperation

Oh, the rubbish 'madness?!' has been removed, I think it really ruined the peice. He's living at work, but as we are closing down (and I loose a job) He'll be living with me!
    Last edited by del-patch; 03-09-2008 at 17:22. Reason: my brain itches.

I like all the skulls for heads, and I dig the purple ink. Very cool, looking forward to seeing how they wind up!
    Hive Fleet Locust HERE
    ^ Includes converted Biovores, six versions of the Carnifex, and battle dioramas of your favorite Tyranids

why thank you!

sadly the Librian faced difficult issues with painting, and then had more issues invloving me and some clippers trying to salvage the sword arm. He is now dead. Damn you surprisingly thick primer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast