Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratchbulding a 40K manta vs thunderhawk diorama

Chapter Master lack0fbettername's Avatar

Scratchbulding a 40K manta vs thunderhawk diorama

New Stuff
    The manta & thunderhawk kept my attention pretty long but inevitably it shifted elsewhere.

Some ultramarines stuff (mainly dreadnaughts) shows up from about post # 592 (Page # 30) on. Starting May 1 my main focus is squats (IG) this starts about Post # 698 (Page # 35).

Note there will still be some tau stuff and other misc crap mixed in from time to time.

Thanks for watchin.
    -JSV

Original Post
    So Long story short... I recently packed up and moved away from columbus ohio for the sunny middle of north carolina. I left behind a gamer in OH that was my main man as far as scratchbuilding is concerened. SO we decided a long distance project was required. We searched the net and brought in one or two others (who live nowhere near us). As a sort of "Scratchbuilding brain trust".

So we mused over what would be our project... terrain, new titan? For a while we stopped on the harbinger, however its an easy shape and too limited in its role. It aslo lacks any offical 40k rules.

SO it was decided... the manta...

For a few reasons but the main ones or thus.

A) so few people have one, mearly being in the presence of one is awsome. Owning one in insaine. I herd tell that forgeworld has only sold 30some of these fellas and after searching the net high and low i have only found 1 guy to has attempted to scratchbuild one in they style of the forgeworld model.

B) its a challange. Between me and the guy in ohio we have 4 or 5 titans under our belt and about as many superheavy tanks. However they are all imperial. All boxy... time for something organic and new.

C) Never really been done before. Like i said i found one guy and we will probably be taking a different building route then him. We will be in the style of the forgeworld model and maybe putting out templates (if such a thing is possible) similar to the ones you find on the net for everything else.

Now to the nuts and bolts.
    Im not sure how 3 or 4 guys spread collectivly around the world will work on one project together... we may end up with 3 mantas, or mearly 1 manta and 2 other guys testing templates and building methods. As to building methods we got a few idea but havent really worked that out ether.

so to give you an idea of what we are up against, the forgeworld site list the dimensions @ 34" wingspan 25" length. With this in mind i took every picture i could find and drew up a plan view in CAD, it took 8 sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper taped together.

To give you an idea of size here are 4 pictures of my paper model taped on the wall. The first me holding up a guardsmen, then a rhino, then the aquilla lander i made form the battle for macragge terrain, then the top of a warhound titan.

Also note i stand about 6' tall so my elbow to fingers is maybe about 18" or so. This should give you a good idea of scale.

-JSV
    <

Re: Scratchbuilding A Manta

Subscribed.

As always LackOf, I have to bo down to the next level you take it each time you start a new project. I will sit back in awe as you and your "trust" work some magic.

:chrome:
    Redstar's Loggy of Chaos!
    Redstar goes Khroney!! Scratch Built Khrone Super Heavies WIP Log On Hold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feral View Post
    You're mad you are. Mad and have lots of plastic card to hand. That's a badass combination if I ever saw one!
    http://miniaturewargameconversions.blogspot.com/
    <

This will definitely be a difficult project you got on your hands. though I might say, Of all the people who could try this, you of all I can see succeeding in a great model/coffee table lol... good luck and have fun. Subscribed!
    <

@Redstarone thats one of the main reasons i love doing projects like this. In most cases its something that hasnt been tried or atleast not tried very often, or in a different fashion.

In a way its feels like pushing the bounderies.
    <

Banned

Lackof, I demand templates, and am willing to assist you in anyway that I can, which probably ain't much...

I have one very big favor to ask though, please please PLEASE make it bigger. The FW version is what I like to call "condensed scale." It should have been much larger, and doesn't look to match the artwork at all, and to a lesser extent the epic scale model...
    <

you are insane.
    My orks! Lots of scratch building and the like Clicky!
    <

Germany, between Heidelberg and Karlsruhe

Wow! I was never aware how huge this bugger really is.
    It is Gigantic!
    Well, good look!
    Subscribed.
    Klaus
    ZEUS super heavy tank for the Imperial Guard

...Even though I find it a bit unfair to throw the argument of "reality" into the ring, in an universe where not one tank has even remotely spotted the slightest glimpse of the outer spheres of reality...
    <

Chapter Master

LackofBetterName

Your crazy... defintely crazy.

Having seen a real forgeworld one of these, i know how insanely large it is, and i can not imagine the difficulty your going to have to get the organic curves into the body work.

That said... who better than to take on a feat such as this.

Im looking forward to seeing progress...

I hope the house move has gone smoothly, and Carolina is treating you as well as Ohio did.

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer
    40k NURGLE BLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...big-blobby-guy
    Ever wondered why Maths seemed so hard?
    "Everytime I see a maths problem it looks like this: If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes would it take to cover the roof.
    - ANSWER - Purple, because aliens don't wear hats..."
    <

This is going... to be epic... or should i say Apocalyptic!
    Nurgle Marines, Eldar, Imperial Guard and tau.

Ork at heart

Yamagon
    <

This will be really interesting!
    <

Absolutely awesome idea. We will be watching, good luck.
    <

Chaos omega you should post or link some artwork so i can get an idea of what your saying about scale and style.

-JSV
    <

good luck with this, once done it will be ace.
    <

Oh wow. Will definately follow this log.

If you manage to pull this off... wow... just wow...

Btw, now I found some use for my basic CAD skills I got through school... :]

~MJ
    <

Hey lack, where in NC are you? I am in Raleigh and always looking for a game. Shoot me an email if you are close. askhofzinser[at]gmail[dot]com
    <

<

Did some work on the 3D model. Lots to post tonight.
    <

Will be interesting to see your construction materials and techniques.

Bugbait out.
    Last edited by bugbait_nz; 21-08-2008 at 20:39.
    * Apocalypse Ork Plog * * Terrain building log * * Bugbaits Thunder Wolves *
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm
    <

@hofzinser... i also live in raliegh. Im currently going down to allfunngames about every monday or everyother monday. Where do you goto to game.

Ok now for a kinda update.
    There has been much discussion among the brain trust about construction methods.

One of the ideas was to basicly make "ribs" with plasticard or foamcore then cover in plasticard. But to thin or ribs too far apart and the plasticard might bend when touched. So i invisioned something a bit different.

This is the building method i invisioned. Instead of putting thin ribs as 1" spaces with air between i imagined 1" thick "ribs" stacked together with no gap. This would then be covered with a plasticard "skin" of thin bendable plasticard. WE are trying to stick with common building materials so your "average gamer" could interpret templates and build one without much hastle.

Here is a picture of what i invisioned. foamcore, insulation foam carved to fit. wood downs and toothpicks for strength then plasticard skin. Woodglue & pva works awsome for foam & foamcore but the current discussion is what type of glue to hold down the skin... current leader is low temp hot glue.

Thoughts?

<

Pfffft... I'm building one too. Oh wait, you're not talking about AI scale are you?

I say good luck to you and Eater. I am very sorry you moved away from each other as AI stuff just doesn't feel the same anymore.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/
    <

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast