Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 40K Movie Rumor From LA Games Day

40K Movie Rumor From LA Games Day

Hey folks!

Just got back from LA Gamesday. It was, of course, a good time to be had by all. I thought the 40K Big Game was a little weak this year, but there were some very good club tables and the Golden Daemon entries were top-notch.

The seminars didn't really break any new ground on the rumors front with a few exceptions:

- Phil Kelly confirmed he is working on Planetstrike, but he does not have any confirmations for the timeline

- The Valkyrie is (supposedly) still a possibility, but not definite. Phil said there are no technical problems with doing it, due to the scanning technology they now have, but there is a question of whether it would be worth putting into production.

- A 40K scenario book is being considered by GW. There's been thought about releasing a compendium of additional missions and possibly some campaign materal, but no work has yet begun.

HOWEVER, by far the biggest rumor came from the Black Library presentation. An audience member asked if BL had ever considered doing any screen-plays, shorts, etc. The presenter had a long pause, then replied with something to the effect of "Well, hypothetically, there could maybe be a direct to DVD release of some kind of CGI movie with Ultramarines next year. Maybe." The long and short of it was there is clearly some kind of direct to DVD, CGI 40K movie that is in progress, though the presenter placed massive stress on the fact that it was still not a sure thing and that he could not promise the release date, much less the fact that it would actually be completed (as reflected by anyone that remembers Exile Films' with Bloodquest).

It should be noted that the presenter also said that neither THQ nor the company that did the cutscenes for Dawn of War are involved, but that the movie would be "to that level of quality."

Rather interesting, no?
    "Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori"
    <

Re: 40K Movie Rumor From LA Games Day

If the preview they were showing for Age of Reckoning was two hours long, I would die from bliss. You'd think these movies would easy to make, easy to write (the stories are already there) and would fly off the shelves.
    Hive Fleet Locust HERE
    ^ Includes converted Biovores, six versions of the Carnifex, and battle dioramas of your favorite Tyranids
    <

hmmm, hopefully It won't end up as Clone Wars "to that level of quality". Shame I couldn't make it, I always waste all my convention money on San Deigo Comic Con instead :P
    Warmachine - Cygnar
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...58#post5204958
    My Ultramarine Log (as it is)
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142978
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Squinty View Post
    LOL - Rainbow Warriors - there's a blast from the past!
    Drogmir - you're showing you're age!
    (or excellent google-fu)
    <

If its anywhere nearly as good as that age fo reckoning trailer, I will definitely be watching this one. Thanks for the tip. I couldn't make it to any seminars, as I was helping to run the Bolter and Chainsword+The-Waaagh! table.
    "Sticks ‘n’ stones’ll break my bones, but Gork and Mork’ll smash yer ‘ead to bits if’n you don’t sod off you big bugger!”
    - Gahzbag, Goblin Shaman telling off a Giant
    <

Just for this, I would buy a new 50 inch plasma tv. I hope this goes blue ray, if it goes anywhere at all.
    Destiny favours the bold
    <

Hey all, first time poster, long time reader, any way....

If the visuals are anything like the dawn of war intro, which i hope for a movie it will be better, then graphically we will have nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, lets pray it wont wall victim to the "game to movie" curse
    Last edited by Deus; 24-08-2008 at 10:01.
    <

Sounds cool.

If they were ever going to go the live action route, I'd love to see a Gaunt's Ghosts movie.
    <

I'm guessing the title will be Assault on Black Reach.
    Seeing as they've already got the boxed set and are working on a novel for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_Ruined View Post
    ...the deepest, darkest recesses of an orks soul, their biggest existential crisis if you will, is concerned solely with the dilema of whether to hit someone when they're looking or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Clock View Post
    I feel all war and good inside.
    <

Please stay on topic, several posts removed.

The Warseer Inquisition
    Got a GW rumour?
    Want to remain anonymous
    Then email me at Brimstone.Warseer@gmail.com

Andy needs your help please order from Heresy Miniatures.
    <

Woudln't it be hard to capture the feel of 40K on the big screen? I though it'd be hard to capture the feel of a universe where EVERYTHING is falling apart.
    <

Veteran Sergeant

i heard from someone at my local games workshop that they were planning on using the same technology as the dawn of war 2 intro to make a movie about the horus heresy. i highly doubt it though, but it would be cool if they did. but they should propably make it series of movies and not try to fit the whole 40k universe into a single movie
    <

A straight to DVD cgi 40k movie is a smart move. It would be GW testing the waters I feel. A stand alone story that concentrated on a single 40k battle AoBR would be the perfect example. People who know nothing of 40k would pick it up from the shelf at DVD stores look at it and think "hey cool sci-fi movie" and watch it, with the title of the movie planted in the head they would instantly recognise the 40k logo if they saw it anywhere else...

Joe Blogs who has just finished watching Assault on Black reach is in his local shopping centre/mall walks past this store called GW, spots the 40k logo and thinks "Hey isn't that what that cool movie was about?" and walks into the store.

If it was anything like the amazing quality of DOW 2 intro, then it would indeed be a awesome looking movie at the very least. An if BL is behind the helm somewhat then it orta stay true to the 40k feel.
    "Excuses are the refuge of the weak"
    <

Whoever directs it will need to have someone from the black library or a personel to that effect, making sure characters act like they should.

Its kinda good its not going on the big screen, as it would have to appeal to everyone, to get good ticket sales etc, but this way, they can focus on their target audience, us.

oh, and i hope it does come to blu-ray, i need to use my PS3 for once!

-reaper
    <

If you want characters acting the way they should then someone from black library would be out of the question. Everybody would be exceptions to the rules.

A CG movie sounds cool. I hope somthing actually comes of this. Somthing good.

Didnt they used to show a trailer type thing for a 40k movie at gamesday every year?
    <

Might just me me, but haven't GW hinted about these kinds of things for ages? It sure would be cool though...
    For Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralDick View Post
    that's largely to do with the way the armies work rather than the rules.
    My Log on (my) modelling
    <

Cool, I really loved the short BloodQuest clips back then.

I´d love a Ciaphas Cain movie, that would make for a tense AND funny watch. But this is so unlikely even for a fourth or fifth movie in the 40k universe, that I wouldn´t even talk about dreaming about considering about posting about contemplating about holding my breath.

Space Marines will of course be there, but I´d love some Berserkers or Orks. Scratch that, Zerkers AND Orks. The story in the back of the second graphic novel, where Black Templars cleanse an Ork invasion on one of those "We´ll let them live the Dark Age, lol" planets would be great.
    <

Was there anything new on display from Forgeworld?
    <

South of Insanity, but a little North of Reason.

I wouldn't expect incredible quality this time around, if it happens at all (which I really hope it does).

If it happens I would think it best to view the final product as a start of Something Cool, but probably not amazing in itself. If it sells well and interests enough people in the GW hobby in a relatively sustainable way then I imagine more money would be spent next time round on screenplay, actors and all the rest.

Years and years ago, just before Mordheim came out, I was developing a Mordheim feature-animation with/for GW. The arrangement back then was that GW would supply background info, throw their weight behind meeting I had with money people and have refusal over any elements of the film, even up to an eleventh hour withdrawal of permission, but other than this they wouldn't put any money into it or advertise (not even in White Dwarf or through the stores) unless it seemed worth their while because the proposed movie's own momentum was substantial and engaging enough to merit their own involment.

The suggestion back then was that they get 50% of the net profits from the production. Jon Gillard, head of new projects back then, was reasonable in this respect because it was clear that I needed GW for its imagery where they didn't need me or a movie at all. But if the movie was successful, whatever GW lacked in returns from ticket sales or DVD sales they would more than make up for with advertising.

Anyway, the film didn't happen for all sorts of reasons. Bloodquest came and went for similar reasons (financial).

I imagine that GW have wiser and more sophisticated views on spin off movies in 2008, so the production model I worked with may well be ancient history.

I feel quite hopeful actually, more for where all this might lead in 10 years rather than for how good or bad this first production may be. Remember the very first 40K computer games? No great shakes. But look how far they've come since that particular ball got rolling...
    <

A Guard movie would be intense I'd kill for it to be one
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!
    <

Aiding the scum of the (40K) universe... STILL!

Lets not get this turning into a "40K movie wishlist" thread.

PhilB
    :chrome:
    + WarSeer Mod Team +
    FAQ
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php

POSTING GUIDLINES
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.ph...ing_guidelines
    "I am Ironman!" - Tony Stark - Avengers: Endgame
    Jon 'BRIMSTONE' Wilson - Friend and gamer RIP

* KYLIE MINOGUE Appreciation Society *WarSeer Medusa V Chaos Warlord
    *\m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/*
    WarSeer forums FAQ Please read