DISCLAIMER -

The article you are about to read is about the use of RTV silicones in order to create moulds, this involves the use of dangerous chemicals and all relevant safety precautions should taken place (Appropriate equipment and done in a well ventilated space.) Always follow the manufacturers instructions for the silicone and catalyst!!!

I am in no way responsible for any accident or incident that takes place upon using any item or reference discussed within any articles written by Max Pearson. By reading this disclaimer you take full responsibilities of you actions related to use of creating your own silicone molds and any other content mentions within any articles written by Max Pearson and will not use the knowledge presented in order to breach copyright or Intellectual Property rights of other companies

These articles do not endorse any company's products!

These article will not show you how to infringe other companies IP or interfere with their copyright, all stuff shown and made is produced by Max Pearson

By reading this disclaimer you agree to following terms as stated above and below

Also these articles are for personal use only and are not to be distribution without permission, all content in these articles belongs to Max Pearson. '

Hi

Right i thought i would do a guide for this wonderful site, now there is alot of stuff out on the web for casting resins, however nothing specific to the type of stuff we do. (ie bases etc) Now this is a guide one how to mold your own bases, im currently making aload for my army. All the stuff im showing you is all the stuff that i use to create me own.

Anyway lets get on, the first thing i need to say is resin casting is expensive on the outset. You you probably gonna spend about 100 quid to set yourself up, this is mainly due to the cost of the silicone and resin used. Also if you dont have the equipment then this adds to it as well.

What you are going to need

rtv (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone + catalyst
Polyurethane Resin + catalyst
Clear Plastic Cups
Mixing Sticks
Electronic Scales
Lego / foam card
gloves
Face mask
apron
oil based, non drying clay
Masking Tape
Stiff brushes

optional but not essential

vibrating table
degassing chamber (expensive, for most home casting you wont need it)

Right now we got the equipment, i can explain the first process of making your molds.

Step 1) Making your masters

The first thing to do is make the masters of what your going to cast, in this case as shown below ive made some 30mm round generic bases. Make sure these bases are sealed with pva in order to prevent sand etc from coming off when your pore it into the mold box.

Step 2) Making a mold box

This is the most important thing as this is what your going to pore your silicone into. This can be made out of foam card or lego or anything you can find really to make a box, in this case im using foam card, however lego is a cheaper reusable alternative that i recommend. This is were you need the oil based clay, the reason this clay is used is because it does not contain sulphur which prevents the silicone from setting. The good thing as well with the clay is that it is reusable.

1) The first thing to do is use alittle bit of super glue and fix your masters to a suitable base, im using foam card.

2) As shown below take aload of clay and flatten it out and then place a section of card into it, then using your finger or a flat tool, press it out, it should look like this

make sure the outside is also done

repeat this until your have a four sided box.

Now try and keep the gaps as small as possible, the picture isnt a brilliant example as there are large gaps, but this is what your should avoid! Make them small as possible in order to prevent wastage of silicone, as its expensive!

3) Testing your mold box once finished is an option but i do it to check to see if it has any leaks, get a cup of water and pour it in and watch for a minute to see is any leaks out, if so fill the gaps with clay. Dry the mold out with some paper or a towel and then your ready for the next step.

Part 2 - Making the silicone and pouring it into the box!

Any questions feel free to ask me!