Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: English translation of names

Banned

English translation of names

I would like to know if all the troops name in the game in english translated the same in another languages(real world languages such as Germans, Spanish, Italian, etc.)
    Example is Black Orcs = Negro Orcs in Spanish Orcs and Goblins army book?
    Also things like Choppa and Spear chuckas too.

Can we make a list of things that is not the same as in english on this thread, that would be cool.

The reason is, I made a thread about "Empire of what" and it got me thinking that does Spanish army book call Black Orcs, Negro Orcs also. Or the name of Empire is Empire also. I know Bretonia will stays the same in every languages, but Empire is a word, not a specific name. . . so Empire would be interesting to know.

Creatures like Giant, Ogres, and Dragons are so popular in every culture that each language culture might have a different names to call those species. Like Ogre army book is call what???

Re: English translation of names

Black Orcs: Schwarzorks
    Choppa: Spalta (orthographically correct: Spalter. Spalta is orkified).
    Spear Chukka: Speerschleuder. That's the generic term for bolt throwers in German.

Empire: Imperium
    Bretonnia: Bretonia
    Ogre: Oger
    Giant: Riese
    Dragon: Drache

Ogre Kingdoms: Ogerkönigreiche.

If you're interested in more: write a list.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Banned

You'll note that in the German version the word Reich is assiduously avoided.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodknight View Post
    Black Orcs: Schwarzorks
    Choppa: Spalta (orthographically correct: Spalter. Spalta is orkified).
    Spear Chukka: Speerschleuder. That's the generic term for bolt throwers in German.

Empire: Imperium
    Bretonnia: Bretonia
    Ogre: Oger
    Giant: Riese
    Dragon: Drache

Ogre Kingdoms: Ogerkönigreiche.

If you're interested in more: write a list.
    I'm guessing this is in German right?

Interesting. Is there any words that change the whole translation from english to the language X?

Your sample of Choppa is Spalta is very interesting. I see choppa as something that chop, while in German it is more of a club bashing name.

What about words with color, does it just translate the color or change the whole word all together. Such as....
    Black Orc
    Night Goblin
    White Dwarf
    White Lion
    Black Guard
    Pink Horror
    Blue Horror
    Dark Rider

How about Name that made of words.
    Flesh Hounds
    Bloodthrister
    Keeper of Secret
    Great Unclean One
    Lord of Change
    Plague Bearer

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slaanghoul View Post
    Your sample of Choppa is Spalta is very interesting. I see choppa as something that chop, while in German it is more of a club bashing name.
    Well, "etwas spalten" is pretty much the same meaning as "to chop something", so Spalta and Choppa are quite closely translated.

What about words with color, does it just translate the color or change the whole word all together. Such as....
    Black Orc Schwarzorc
    Night Goblin Nachtgoblin
    White Dwarf Weisser Zwerg
    White Lion Weisser Löwe
    Black Guard Schwarze Garde
    Pink Horror Rosa Horror
    Blue Horror Don´t actually know, but I guess Blauer Horror ^^
    Dark Rider Schwarze Reiter
    These are pretty much word-to-word translations, with the only exception being Dark Riders, which would mean "Dunkle Reiter" in german, but it´s actually Black Riders if translated back.

How about Name that made of words.
    Flesh Hounds Bluthunde des Khorne, translated back it would be Bloodhounds of Khorne
    Bloodthrister Blutdämon, Blood demon if translated back
    Keeper of Secret Hüter der Geheimnisse, word-to-word again
    Great Unclean One Großer Verpester, something along the lines of "Great Polluter" if translated back
    Lord of Change Herrscher des Wandels, word-to-word
    Plague Bearer Seuchenhüter, something along the lines of plague guardian or plague keeper

thanks
    I hope Bloodknight won´t mind that I took the freedom of answering ^^

And yes, this is german

Yep, Blauer Horror. Spalten is more akin to "to split"; to chop wood is "Holz spalten", to chop off a head is "einen Kopf abhacken".

The translations for Flesh Hound, Blood Thirster, Great Unclean One and Plague Bearer directly into German would sound silly. While Blutdämon is a pretty lame translation, there is no real German word for something that actively thirsts for something.
    They could have translated it as Blutdürstiger (a bloodthirsty thing), but that sounds silly, too.
    As for the GUO: does that sound silly for you English speaking people? "Der große Unsaubere" would translate to "the big unwashed" or "great unhygienic" etc.
    Last edited by Bloodknight; 09-09-2008 at 14:00.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Banned

I might be wrong, but:

Spalta, I have the impression is like (log) splitter.
    Schwarze Ritter is Black Knight.

Correct if you mean Ivanhoe, the black knight.

The Warhammer VC Black Knights are Fluchritter (supposed to mean Cursed Knights, but it sort of means cursing knights...). Wights are Verfluchte (Cursed Ones).

Banned

Yep, Blauer Horror. Spalten is more akin to "to split"; to chop wood is "Holz spalten", to chop off a head is "einen Kopf abhacken".

The translations for Flesh Hound, Blood Thirster, Great Unclean One and Plague Bearer directly into German would sound silly. While Blutdämon is a pretty lame translation, there is no real German word for something that actively thirsts for something.
    They could have translated it as Blutdürstiger (a bloodthirsty thing), but that sounds silly, too.
    As for the GUO: does that sound silly for you English speaking people? "Der große Unsaubere" would translate to "the big unwashed" or "great unhygienic" etc.
    LOL, oh man I laugh so hard about the big unwashed or great unhygienic one. . .haha.

I like Bloodhound better than Flesh hound. . oh wait. . there is already a breed of dogs call bloodhound, maybe that's why GW stay away from that name.

Canary Islands (yep that little 7 things near to africa that nobody knows)

Hi there! As a spaniard i'll be pleased to tell you how we say the names of what you asked:

--Black orcs: Orcos Negros.
    --SpearChukka: Lanza Pinchos (or Lanza Pinchoz in orky)
    --Night Goblin: Goblin Nocturno.
    --White Dwarf: Enano blanco.
    --White Lion: Leon blanco.
    --Black Guard: Guardia Negra.
    --Pink Horror: Horror Rosa.
    --Blue Horror: Horror Azul.
    --Dark Rider: Jinete oscuro.
    ---
    --Fleshounds: Mastines de Khorne in spanish (Khorne Mastiffs) (literally in spanish its something like sabuesos de la carne or sabuesos carnivoros)
    --BloodThirster: Devorador de almas (Soul Devourer) (literally in spanish its something like Sediento de Sangre)
    --Keeper of Secrets: Guardian de los Secretos.
    --Great Unclean one: Gran Inmundicia (Big Dirt)
    --Lord of Change: Señor de la Transformacion (Lord of transformation) (also literally its something like Señor del Cambio)
    --Plaguebearer: Portador de la Plaga.

For more Translations just say it .
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    Da Black Gobbo you sir are a genius. Emperor bless you.
    Working on: Kabal of the Final Breath. (+2500 points fully painted) Games played:24, 13W/5D/6L
    Here: http://w40ktenerife.blogspot.com/201....html#comments
    6th edition DE record: W3/D0/L1

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

In (the Flemish part of) Belgium, and probably the Netherlands as well, we don't translate GW stuff.
    It's all for the best IMO. Dutch isn't suited to all this fantasy stuff.

The old Herquest, Space Crusade and Battlemaster material games were translated by MB, and the result was pretty damn dire.
    For instance the Chaos Dreadnought was translated as Durfal (literally translated that means daredevil - there is no word for dreadnought in the Dutch language).
    Space Hulks became Vliegende Hollanders (Flying Dutchmen).
    Genestealers became Genenjatters (gene swipers).

Goblins were translated as Kobolden (kobolds - goblins don't exists in Dutch).
    Ogres were translated as Gruwels (horrors - ogres don't exist in Dutch).
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Banned

40K has some pretty strange "translations" in German.

Dreadnought --> Cybot (obviously an artificial word, a combination of Cyborg and Robot)
    Obliterator --> Kyborg (the German term for "cyborg" even though nobody anymore would use Kyborg to describe a man-machine-organism in Germany, "cyborg" is much more commonly used)
    Devastator --> Devastor (i have no frakking idea what a Devastor is supposed to be... It's probably not a real word in any language)
    Ravener --> Venator (latin word for hunter)
    Death Leaper --> Todeshetzer (implies something that hunts someone relentlessly. But it could also be the name of a Nazi-tank...)
    Genestealers --> Symbionten (symbiont. But a Genestealer is more parasitic than symbiotic, so WTF?)
    Dire Avengers --> Asuryans Jäger (hunters of Asuryan)
    Wraithlord --> Phantomlord (phantom lord)
    Wraithguard --> Phantomdroid (phantom droid)
    Swooping Hawks --> Kriegsfalken (war hawks)
    Black Reapers --> Schwarze Khaindare (black khaindars)
    Fire Prism --> Illum Zar

There are more. Maybe when i have more time.
    Last edited by Stingray_tm; 10-09-2008 at 11:30.

As for those games:
    Dreadnought stayed Dreadnought. Dreadnought is a sort of battleship, and Schlachtschiff for a walker would have crossed the line.
    Space Hulk stayed also.
    Genestealers became the really stupid Klone (clones).

They tried to make all guns non-lethal versions, so the assault cannon became the Nullzeitkanone (zero-time-cannon), which was supposed to freeze people in time. Stupid.

As for the Battlemasters set: that was Claymore Saga in German. I remember that its Dutch name was Ridderstrijd (meaning "Knight Fight", I guess...).
    I don't know if it was Empire vs Chaos in the original version, but the German one made that Kaiserreich vs Schattenfürsten (Empire vs Shadowlords).

Banned

Oh about Starquest. The different Space Marine chapters all became GSG-squads. GSG = Galaxy Safe Guard, but obviously a play on GSG for Grenzschutzgruppe, as Ultramarines became GSG-19 (GSG-9...) and the other two chapters became GSG-Musketiere (musketeers) and GSG-Tiger...

The funny thing about Dreadnought is, that even in the ****** Starquest translation it stayed Dreadnought, while in the real 40K it became "Cybot".
    Last edited by Stingray_tm; 10-09-2008 at 11:34.

This is why, ultimately, although English has bad grammar, syntax, tenses etc I still like it the best.

How many languages have a book that lists all the words that mean a similar thing (Thesaurus)? (this is actually a serious question, does anyone know?).

Sure they were all stolen from everyone else's languages, but that's beside the point.

Plague Bearer:

Main Entry: plague
    Part of Speech: verb
    Synonyms: affliction, annoyance, badger, bane, bedevil, bother, calamity, chafe, contagion, curse, disease, epidemic, fret, gall, harass, harry, hassle, hector, importune, infestation, irritate, nag, nuisance, outbreak, pest, pester, pestilence, pox, rash, scourge, suffering, tantalize, tease, torment, trouble, twit, worry

Main Entry: bearer
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: A person who carries messages or is sent on errands.
    Synonyms: carrier, conveyer, courier, envoy, messenger, runner, transporter, bringer

Note above how even the word Plague has different meanings (to annoy as opposed to being diseased).

Hellebore
    Last edited by Hellebore; 10-09-2008 at 11:37.
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

In spanish there’s some differences between Spain and other spanish speaking countries , because spanish have too many damn synonims and words that mean similar things some examples:

Tomb kings, in Spain I think they are called: “Reyes Funerarios” , which would translate as “funerary kings” . While here in Mexico they are called: “Reyes de las Tumbas”. Literally Kings of Tombs
    Choppa: “Rebanadora” in Spain, “Cortadora” in Mexico. Which would translate as slicer and cutter respectively

Dreadnought: Is not changed it is called dreadnought but literally it would be:
    Dread: “pavor”, nought: “sin valor” which would translate as “terror without courage” or “dread without courage”
    Empire: “El Imperio” translates into “The empire”
    hi! come visit my fantasy project log! need some inspiration and feedback pic heavy soon !!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...234821t=146601

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

I remember that its Dutch name was Ridderstrijd (meaning "Knight Fight", I guess...).
    Indeed. It's an ok translation I guess, even though the game was about more than knights.
    Incidentally, I still use the tower and marshes that came with it for WFB terrain

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray_tm View Post
    Oh about Starquest. The different Space Marine chapters all became GSG-squads. GSG = Galaxy Safe Guard, but obviously a play on GSG for Grenzschutzgruppe, as Ultramarines became GSG-19 (GSG-9...) and the other two chapters became GSG-Musketiere (musketeers) and GSG-Tiger...
    Ah yes, the chapter names... The Dutch versions were truly awful.

Imperial Fists : Vuist Meesters (Fist Masters )
    Ultramarines : Donderkoppen (Thunder Heads )
    Blood Angels : Bloed Proevers (Blood tasters )
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

The towers are a staple of my terrain collection. I've got the Battlemasters set three times, and some spare figures from friends, which incidentally led to a huge DoW army - I fill the stuff that's not RoR with BM minis. Looks ok on the table because they're all painted. I think I've got at least 50 of those clone halberdiers. Should I ever play that 10000 point game, my paymaster will lead that 600 point block ).

Fist Masters: hilarious!!! (I think that allowed for several exclamation marks).

Canary Islands (yep that little 7 things near to africa that nobody knows)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix Felder View Post
    In spanish there’s some differences between Spain and other spanish speaking countries , because spanish have too many damn synonims and words that mean similar things some examples:

Tomb kings, in Spain I think they are called: “Reyes Funerarios” , which would translate as “funerary kings” . While here in Mexico they are called: “Reyes de las Tumbas”. Literally Kings of Tombs
    Choppa: “Rebanadora” in Spain, “Cortadora” in Mexico. Which would translate as slicer and cutter respectively

Dreadnought: Is not changed it is called dreadnought but literally it would be:
    Dread: “pavor”, nought: “sin valor” which would translate as “terror without courage” or “dread without courage”
    Empire: “El Imperio” translates into “The empire”
    Fenix is right, but i didn't know that Mexican/south american spanish speaker (or castellan speakers) had another translations for the Army books. It shows the diferent way of talking from a Castellan talking country to another.

Languages are fun! .
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    Da Black Gobbo you sir are a genius. Emperor bless you.
    Working on: Kabal of the Final Breath. (+2500 points fully painted) Games played:24, 13W/5D/6L
    Here: http://w40ktenerife.blogspot.com/201....html#comments
    6th edition DE record: W3/D0/L1

If you translated it directly as "the great unwashed" it might sound like you were referring to the public or "the unwashed masses".

But yes, either of those direct translations would sound awkward.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    Imperial Fists : Vuist Meesters (Fist Masters )

Ultramarines : Donderkoppen (Thunder Heads )

Blood Angels : Bloed Proevers (Blood tasters )
    Why are they so terrible though?

Surely there's a direct translation of Imperial in Dutch? "Fist Masters" makes them sound like a group of ninjas.

I just have to say a quick thanks again for helping me out with the translation last year- I still don't understand the link between the verb "to store" and mountains though.
    Last edited by Gazak Blacktoof; 11-09-2008 at 00:09.
    My favourite Gaming Podcasts
    - The D6 Generation [Gaming News, Reviews and Not Too Horrible Humour]
    - Heelan Hammer [WHFB Hobby and Tournament]
    - Bad Dice [WHFB Tournament Reviews and News]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast