Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: English translation of names

Re: English translation of names

It definitely does. That's why I meant it's a lame translation because the concept of thirst works slightly differently in German from English.

You could in theory say Blutdürster (I thirst for blood: Ich dürste nach Blut), but it sounds a bit silly and is an archaism. I think I haven't heard anybody say "ich dürste" in real life. That's more bible/theatre/bad mediaeval movie lingo.
    Last edited by Bloodknight; 22-09-2008 at 19:30.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

South of Insanity, but a little North of Reason.

A banana to anyone who knows and can translate (or find the cultural references within) the names of the Patriarchs of the Colleges of Magistry from Realms of Sorcery...

I'd love to, but I don't have the names. Is that a 5th edition box?

edit: I am an idiot, I own that book... I thought about the 5th edition chaos box for some reason.

I'll be back later...

Light: Verspasian Kant => philosopher Immanuel Kant. Verspasian is a Roman Emperor.

Metal: Balthasar Gelt. Geld is the German word for money, gelt is an ancient form of that. Balthasar is one of the 3 wise men, the one who brought gold?

Life: Tochter Grunfeld. I assume that the u should be an ü. Means basically Daughter of the Green Field.

Shadows: Reiner Starke. Is probably Reine Stärke and means "pure strength".

Heavens: Raphael Julevno. Julevno was a French Astrologer in the 19th century.

Death: Viggo Hexensohn. Of course an allusion to Viggo Mortensen. Hexensohn means "son of a witch". The connection to death is the Mort part of Mortensen's name.

Fire: Thyrus Gormann. Tyrus is a city in Lebanon. In the treaty of Asurhaddon is a line that says that Ninlil of Ninive shall draw a flaming sword if the treaty is broken. There's also a medieval historian called William of Tyrus. Gormann is a semi-rare German family name.

Beasts: Setanta Lobas. Setanta is the "Hound of Culainn". Lobas: no idea.
    Last edited by Bloodknight; 22-09-2008 at 20:33.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldMaster View Post
    Holy heck, Arnizipal, where did you get those?
    I am Dutch, but I haven't seen Warhammer being molested that much before O_o
    Dutch and Warhammer are not that compatible.. I just talk English all the time when I talk about Warhammer.
    The board game Space Crusade (released as Star Quest in belgium and the Netherlands). Hero Quest had some iffy names too, but none of those were near as bad as those of Star Quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodknight View Post
    Light: Verspasian Kant => philosopher Immanuel Kant. Verspasian is a Roman Emperor.

Metal: Balthasar Gelt. Geld is the German word for money, gelt is an ancient form of that. Balthasar is one of the 3 wise men, the one who brought gold?

Life: Tochter Grunfeld. I assume that the u should be an ü. Means basically Daughter of the Green Field.

Shadows: Reiner Starke. Is probably Reine Stärke and means "pure strength".

Heavens: Raphael Julevno. Julevno was a French Astrologer in the 19th century.

Death: Viggo Hexensohn. Of course an allusion to Viggo Mortensen. Hexensohn means "son of a witch". The connection to death is the Mort part of Mortensen's name.

Fire: Thyrus Gormann. Tyrus is a city in Lebanon. In the treaty of Asurhaddon is a line that says that Ninlil of Ninive shall draw a flaming sword if the treaty is broken. There's also a medieval historian called William of Tyrus. Gormann is a semi-rare German family name.

Impressive. I knew some but I didn't know the origins of Thyrus Gormann's name. That's pretty cool actually.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Oh, I don't know if this is correct, but the allusions are there, IMO.
    (I obviously didn't know all of that, I looked most of it up).

@MvS: am I right?

It probably has nothing to do with it but lupus is latin for wolf and I think the spanish word sounds a lot like lobo or something
    "WE ARE THE ONLY SOURCE OF GOODNESS, SEVERE AND DRASTIC. THERE IS NO OTHER SOURCE OF HOPE THAN US. WE ARE AGONISINGLY ALONE."
    beer and axes

Really, really good job Bloodknight! You even got the Mortensen connection.

Lobas is just a play on lobos, being "wolf" - appropriate considering the chap in question.

*presents Bloodknight with virtual banana*

EDIT

Stormblade: Beat me to it.

EDIT II:

Reiner Starke was also the name given to the head of an entirely different College of illusion in the old Realms of Sorcery book, back when the Imperial Colleges weren't the only legal places to learn spellcraft. I wanted to give little nods and winks tying the two books together.

"Kant" was included because I'm fascinated by Immanuel Kant and have studied him quite extensively throughout my research - Perpetual Peace in particular. Re. "Verspasian", I just love Roman names and this one is under-used but pretty damn cool I think.

Tochter Grünfeld was an obvious, though I hope fun, choice.

Raphael Julevno - well you got the Julevno reference correctly. I included Raphael as a nod towards how the Archangel Raphael is depicted in the Hadith as the angel who signals the Day of Judgment by blasting out the Sound of Truth on the Sûr (a special horn or trumpet). Hence, a signal from Raphael indicates the end of the world, appropriate for the chief human prognosticator in the Empire I thought.

And regarding the missing umlauts, they were mostly dropped from the printed version of the book (presumably by mistake), but well caught on that one too Bloodknight... although, seeing as you are from Germany I would expect nothing less...
    Last edited by MvS; 13-06-2011 at 13:45.

Should have thought of the Lobas part.
    I'd rather have a cookie, I hate bananas

The hardest one was Gormann, actually. To find that flaming sword part...I wonder how the guy who invented him found that. Must have been very interested in ancient history, Mesopotamia, Asshur, possibly the Gilgamesh epos, and so on.
    At least it's a well hidden play, not like Arsanil the Dragonlord with his battlecry Wahnil...(Arsenal 1:0)

Well, I like playing with language, being a linguist and all...
    Last edited by Bloodknight; 23-09-2008 at 12:08.

Yes indeed!

I much prefer it when GW writers hide references in the names and places they dream up. Though not necessary, they reward the interest of enthusiasts.

Banned

While I thought Arsanil looked peculiar, originally that Wahnil reference went over my head. Renaissance English, Queen's English and modern High German are first cousins, so I understand most references, but are there any ones from North America?
    Last edited by Condottiere; 23-09-2008 at 18:54.

Correct if you mean Ivanhoe, the black knight.

The Warhammer VC Black Knights are Fluchritter (supposed to mean Cursed Knights, but it sort of means cursing knights...).
    LOL! This gives me an image of an armoured rider shouting random obscenities...
    "You ****! You whinging ***! I wouldn't wipe my **** on you!"
    Online campaign
    When in deadly danger
    When beset by doubt
    Run in little circles
    wave your arms and shout
    Q: You're taking 8 guardsmen against 10 Marines, what have you given them?
    A: Biscuit Brown.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    While I thought Arsanil looked peculiar, originally that Wahnil reference went over my head. Renaissance English, Queen's English and modern High German are first cousins, so I understand most references, but are there any ones from North America?
    Bloodbowl has the Nuffle, which comes from the NFL.
    Don't know if that counts as a pun...
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    Bloodbowl has the Nuffle, which comes from the NFL.
    Don't know if that counts as a pun...
    The funny thing about Bloodbowl is that it's supposed to be based on American football but gets so much of the terminology wrong. For example, we don't play on a "pitch," we play on a "field," and that applies to football, baseball and soccer.

A "pitch" is when you throw a baseball.

Over the years I've gotten to be pretty good at British English - so much so that someone reviewing my books wasn't sure if I was American or British because of my usage. I took it as a compliment.

P.S. I took four years of German in school, plus another year in college and then stopped studying it. A few months ago I found some of my schoolwork which included an essay in German, which I could no longer understand! I wonder if that's what it feels like to go senile - you recognize your handwriting but can't understand what you were saying.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3