Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BEARDS AND CERAMITE and others too....Project Log of KingMong

Re: BEARDS AND CERAMITE and others too....Project Log of KingMong

Love the paint job on those marines. Not only is the yellow a good color but your weathering looks really good on it.

Erifnogard: Thanks for your kind words, encourages me to keep up with the standard, cheers!

Now more Dwarfs and some extra:

Dwarf Lord RedBeard on shield bearers

The Standard Bearer

Warrior Priest ( use him for our Warhammer Fantasy RPG)

The Anvil of Doom

dude, you might want to refrain from over "lighting" the picture when you use photoshop, your warrior priest is too "light" so it has become grey and a lot of contrast and details are lost...

this is better

Oow, great stuff here!
    I especially like the way the BSB turned out.
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

Hi guys,

Time for some updates to this log, I plan to get 20 sternguards done up for my 1750 points list. Previously I would paint 10 or 5 at a go, but this time I decided to go fantasy style, 20 in a go. I found this to be a more effective process as I get more result in the end.

So here goes today's update:

I usually begin by priming the models in black, followed by spraying tamiya camel yellow over them. Have to spray another layer of matt spray over because the yellow tends to be glossy.

Next step, washes! I use a watered down mix of delvan mud and gryphonne sepia. Finally finish it off with a light wash of budab black at the areas I need darker.

I would follow up with highlights of yellow from this point onwards. Stay tuned. KM out...

Quote Originally Posted by kingmong View Post
    I noticed some mould lines on the leg of one of the guys...

Also, i noticed you are pinning the arms of the sternguards but not these? how come?

*looks closer*

Are they plastic marines with metal arms? Better pin them laddie.

Good job so far... its great that you are sharing the secret to your yellow-ness...

Quote Originally Posted by Putty View Post
    Are they plastic marines with metal arms? Better pin them laddie.
    They look like plastic arms - definately not sternguard. The sternguard arms are all cut in weird ways

Great stuff here - like the fists!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobster View Post
    Hehe. This made my day. I can just imagine you crying impotent nerd tears onto your keyboard. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowphrakt View Post
    They look like plastic arms - definately not sternguard. The sternguard arms are all cut in weird ways

Great stuff here - like the fists!
    ahhh true that... i remembered him telling me he is modding his own set of sternguards...

Greetings folks, here's the next update for the 20 sternguards.

As I said, I followed up with highlighting the yellow into the darkened models. Drybrushed in bright yellow over them and its done. But I do usually apply another layer of sepia wash over to maintain the brown note over the highlights, so beyond that I would apply another highlight of lime yellow to finish up the drybrushing.

I went ahead and painted the foundation colors for the veteran helmets, I sticked to the colors I used for the terminators to stay cohesive.

Didn't have time for all 20, but I have completed basing in 10 helmets. Here are the rest.

Next target, base in all the helmets. Followed by darkening washes and highlights again. One color at a time. KM out...

Oh yah, I did have 10 of the metal sternguards. One heck of a time to pin all of them up. The other 10, I used bits from the assault marines running legs and glued some scopes I had left over to the bolters as much as I can.

Shadowphrakt: Thanks for your kind words, mate. The metal arms are really giving me work.

Putty: Yap, 10 metal , 10 plastic indeed. No $$ for all metals. But gimme plastics any day.

The tutorials are nice and handy, and the painting is great. What more can I add? Yellow bases look wierd? Listen to put-man? Go sternguard?!

Um, good show.

I really like that yellow ..*explodes*..
    you have now inspired me to get a spray gun for use on my crimson fists (and others)

your dwarf army dwarfs mine (excuse the bad pun) now i want to expand mine

keep it up I'm really looking forward to seeing those stern guards done

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

I'm still being frustrated by my attempts at doing consistent yellow across my own Imperial Fist army so I'd like to steal your method.

What black spray do you use and have you used an airbrush at any point?
    What do you use to mix the inks? Do you dab the ink from the flat areas of the model? What size brush are you using for the inking?
    How do you highlight?

I love the yellow, I'd just love to see some more finished models from you too! The veterans in particular!
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 03-11-2008 at 00:29.

Well, it's been a long time since I've update anything so here goes. Been focusing on applying the foundation coat of each elements on the 20 models. Took a lot longer than I expect but that's what you get for being ambitious with 20 in a go...

Anyways, now that the foundation coats are all in, I am going onto washing the models again with a mix of (33/33/33)devlan mud, budub black and water. Focusing only on the areas I need to look dark. Than it's to the final highlights.

KM out..

Looking good K. Painting all that yellow must drive you insane, but at least your updating unlike that lazy putty kid. What's with him?

Anyways, two things. I think you need a drop more water in the foundation paint just to thin it a little more. There's also a mould line of the backpack of the marine in the third pic, which I'm sure you can still scrap off and rebasecoat without too much trouble If don't, the wash will pick it horribly, trust me :cries:

This is what you call real batch painting! Nice work mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsword View Post
    Looking good K. Painting all that yellow must drive you insane, but at least your updating unlike that lazy putty kid. What's with him?

Anyways, two things. I think you need a drop more water in the foundation paint just to thin it a little more. There's also a mould line of the backpack of the marine in the third pic, which I'm sure you can still scrap off and rebasecoat without too much trouble If don't, the wash will pick it horribly, trust me :cries:

This is what you call real batch painting! Nice work mate.
    *shakes angry fist @ nightsword*

i'm charging my camera's battery dammit! xD

MmmMmm...mmmm...mmmmm more marines to convert into biomass for The Hive Mind.

Good stuff K. doing stuff in batches is like that. it gets slower towards to end because touching up takes time.

*Brushes off angry fist with pointy chaos stick*

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Far be it from me to critique your yellow, but these look considerably brighter than your other Marines, any particular reason why?

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    Far be it from me to critique your yellow, but these look considerably brighter than your other Marines, any particular reason why?
    i'll answer this question for K (since he is busy)

the models aren't inked yet so they look very bright atm.

Sorry for the late reply, my home internet is just crap.

Putty: Thanks for helping me out with the replies man. Apparently I forgot how tedious it is to paint in 20s, I find it amazing how I made it through the dwarfs in that manner. But there are more little stuff to paint in 40k models so i guess the timing shows. Well, I've wrap it up by the week and we'll have more games dude.

Nightsword: Thanks for the tips man, really appreciated. I always had problems with the mold lines, I should be more committed to get it cleaned from the start. Shame that I choose to ignore it and now it's back to haunt me :P

Inquisitor Engel: Yeah, as how my buddy putty has said, I have yet to tone down the yellows and other foundation paints with washes. I would usually wash the yellow with sepia overall and more mud and black over the lower torso to darken it. My methods are slow and as you might see it's always a repeated process of establishing the foundations and than darkening them again so the highlight will come through only at focal areas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast