Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35

Thread: Engel's Imperial Fists Blog

Re: Engel's Imperial Fists Blog

Excellent work

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Thanks Nitro!

Primaris marines are a genuine pleasure to paint. Though I do deeply, deeply regret choosing to go almost all white for the Apothecary...

I'm really pretty happy with how this guy turned out overall though. The white is the same as the helmet on the Bladeguard ancient: Corax White > Apothecary White > Fine drybrush of Praxeti White > Edge highlight of White Scar. I did do a pin wash here and there with 50/50 water and Nuln Oil where I felt there needed to be a bit more contrast.

Also, my overwhelming need to convert every single character model has.... continued. Fortunately the Narcathium from the Grey Knight Terminator box just required a new upper arm to fit standard SM shoulder pads (which is from the Sternguard kit) to be primaris-ized. Slicing and repositioning the open pistol and moving the holster's handle to the other one was a bit finicky, but it's all good now. The wonders of plastic glue.

That's a beautiful white- so clean. Great figure over all but I might go nuts trying to get all that detail right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Good job mate. White is just a pain to work. I rarely use it, that said you cracked with this Marine.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Another Custodes complete. With the Shield Captain/Valoris/Valdor down I only have a tank and a dreadnaught left and I'm DONE with this army, which is a first for me in DECADES it feels like. Okay, actually is.

I wanted a model I could use as a Shield Captain in 40K, and potentially stand in for valdor in 30K and so... THIS GUY! He has no name.

I hacked up Valoris Apolonian Spear and placed it atop a standard Custodes spear, then extended the haft down with some metal rod. The result is pretty darn good. I'm particularly happy with the cape and the way the golden eagle turned out, as it's rather shallow detail. I'll be honest though, this guy was NOT made for subassemblies and I hope the person that decided to put the plastic joins for the CAPE ITSELF running along flat areas rather than folding them into the creases (Cypher is a good example of doing this well).

I wasn't 100% convinced on the purple inside/red outside, but I think it's come together really well. I really appreciate that GW designed the Trajann Valoris model with the option of both the GIANT FEATHERS and the massive lion. I chose neither. I was close to putting purity seals/oaths of moment where the tilting shield is, but then thought "Why would a custodes need either?"

I spent a lot of time on his face, and made the helm plume white instead of red as with the rest of my Custodes so he would stand out.

Anyway, really happy with the result.

Thanks guys!

Phalanx Warders are DONE!

I've been working on these guys for a LONG time. Like, before there were plastic MKIII kits.

There's quite the mix of parts as I really like variety in my squads (which is why Primaris annoy me a bit).

• MKIII bodies (obviously) and backpacks
    • Some Alexis Pollux shoulder pads
    • Imperial Fist Cataphractii Storm Shields with the arms trimmed and attached to various MKIII arms
    • Some MKIII-ish arms from Pop Goes the Monkey, as MKIII CCW arms are quite hard to come by the these days
    • Naturally, giant axes from FW - These smaller hands from Tartaros came in handy here.
    • Actual chests from the Phalanx Warder kit
    • Chests from the Templar Brethren kit (since my TB are wearing experimental MKVII)

Overall I think they're really unique and MKIII sells the look of someone designed to resell boarders much better than the official MKIV. MKIII was made for void engagements after all.

Last up for this group will be Rann, who is waiting for me to get some Dire Avengers and a Made to Order metal Autarch finished.

Great work Inquisitor Engel.

5/5

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Necromunda figures - Selling Painted Elysian Army, and other bits for 40K and terrain

Can't let a good thread die. I have returned!

It's been a while, but I return with some other 30K stuff... Building the foundations and walls of the Imperium itself, Imperial Fists were also learned in the keys to breaking them... So I made a VII Legion Siegebreaker Consul.

Since my 10-man Honor Guard squad died a couple of editions ago, a few of the various members who can't neatly be rolled into the new rules have been stripped and repurposed as new things. I enjoyed this base pose (from the Master of the Chapter) and gave him a nice resting "back of theatre command" pose using the Primaris wrist console, a MK3 Thunder Hammer, a MK4 seeker helmet, and away we went.

I hate painting metal models. The detail isn't as crisp as modern plastic (or even resin) so this was actually kind of a slog. I was also experimenting with some alternative colors to reproduce my IF golden yellow look. I'm pretty pleased with the wings on the shoulder pad as well.

The biggest thing that got me over the hump with this guys was *painting the backpack first*. I hate painting backpacks after everything. They seem like such a letdown after having fun perso

Excellent stuff .
    Another day older; another day closer to the grave.

I have a blog here: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

and a Grymn blog here: http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

Brother Sergeant

Really nice work Inquisitor Engel. I especially like the Custodes Captain conversion and paint job.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Great work Engel.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35