Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 116

Thread: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Chapter Master leonmallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Somewhere near my computer with a cuppa
    Posts
    3,455

    Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Jervis kindly delivered a seminar in Bugman's on Saturday night, and after running through the new releases for january (and February?) he was open to questions. With regard to most 'further out than the next two months' questions he stated that it was impossible to say what would come out when.

    That said, he would not confirm that Phil Kelly is working on the Guard book.

    He stated that the plan is to now work to a 4-6 year period of renewal for the codexes and army books. As in Canada a few months ago he reiterated that if they get ahead then new stuff can come in, but only if they are on course with the existing books. He sounded genuine in this to my mind.

    I asked about the rumoured combined/not combined Inquisition book. What he stated was that Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters will remain seperate army lists, that they remain part of the planned 4-6 year edition life cycle, and that the focus will shift towards the militant chambers for each rather than the emphasis being on the Inquisitors. He indicated that the emphasis came from the fact that they were working on Inquisitor at around the same time and basically got a bit carried away.

    I brought up the wargear/weapon discrepencies for identical wargear across different codexes. He may have misconstrued my question because he defended it by citing different points costings, but didn't offer any hope of resolution when I clarified my question as in essence they (GW) see it as too big an undertaking to create such consistency (I may be misquoting Jervis, and apologies if I am, but that felt like the gist of the response).

    Besides Griff Oberwald upcoming (SG I know, but bear with me) he indicated that there is no planned renewed support for Specialist Games at this time, which obviously has an impact on the 40K realted elements.

    So a lot of what we know or believe we know, but the Inquisition bit of confirmation and allusion to direction shift interested me.
    Last edited by leonmallett; 10-11-2008 at 21:07. Reason: spelling

  2. #2

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    I believe it was already stated in a White Dwarf that Robin Cruddace would be working on the new Guard codex.

  3. #3
    Chapter Master leonmallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Somewhere near my computer with a cuppa
    Posts
    3,455

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Nonsensical Crap View Post
    I believe it was already stated in a White Dwarf that Robin Cruddace would be working on the new Guard codex.
    You are likley right - there was a bit to remember and i was a bit 'tired' by that point...

  4. #4
    Commander jdp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The booming metropolis of Worthington
    Posts
    745

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Well, they have already said the new guy is writing the new guard codex so no surprise they wouldn't confirm kelly writing it, whom I would have preferred. (oops, LNC posted as I was typing )

    Good to know inquisition isn't kaput, but shifting away from inquisitors sounds towards the chambers militant sounds like my inquisitorial guard task force is in doubt long term. Also with a 4-6 year refresh rate, inquisition should be relatively close.
    `there's the King's Messenger. He's in prison now, being punished: and the trial doesn't even begin till next Wednesday: and of course the crime comes last of all.'`Suppose he never commits the crime?' said Alice. `That would be all the better, wouldn't it?' the Queen said.
    My back to Taros Imperial Guard log...
    My Warmaster log...
    My Chaos log... My Austrians...

  5. #5
    Chapter Master leonmallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Somewhere near my computer with a cuppa
    Posts
    3,455

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by jdp View Post
    Well, they have already said the new guy is writing the new guard codex so no surprise they wouldn't confirm kelly writing it, whom I would have preferred. (oops, LNC posted as I was typing )

    Good to know inquisition isn't kaput, but shifting away from inquisitors sounds towards the chambers militant sounds like my inquisitorial guard task force is in doubt long term. Also with a 4-6 year refresh rate, inquisition should be relatively close.
    There were no details beyond the indicated focus shift, and they would seem that they are in the talking stage (I didn't get the sense that JJ was thinking out loud on this, but rather indicating the current view which may be vague at best), even if only very tentatively. That said, it is rare to completely lose the option to use established 'normal' units from revised codexes, so I wouldn't worry too much. I just expect the GK and SoB to get buffed, and the Inquisitors and henchmen toned down a little maybe, but that is pure speculation of course.
    Last edited by leonmallett; 10-11-2008 at 20:26.

  6. #6
    Commander electricblooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard, USA. Far enough north to get snow, far enough south to have good neighbors.
    Posts
    680

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    That said, it is rare to completely lose the option to use established 'normal' units from revised codexes, so I wouldn't worry too much. I just expect the GK and SoB to get buffed, and the Inquisitors and henchmen toned down a little maybe, but that is pure specualtion of course.
    I'll take the converse of the speculation - since it would be difficult to make Inquisitors from either Orodos any worse (without making them completely pointless), I suspect they will simply remove them to make room for shiney new units. As it stands now, practically the only reasonable build for an Inquisitor is a psychic hood, 3 HB firebase. If they remove the effectiveness of that build you might as well invest in more line troops (of whatever flavor).

    As to what might replace the INQ's for the WH at least there are zealots (infinitely the best WH CC unit) and a "real" Arbites entry using the shiney new SM shotgun stats. I have no speculations about DH - with the changes in CSm and CD, that particular army might as well not even exist anymore.
    Would you trust someone named "Dr. Vile"? I thought so....
    sic hoc adfixium in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et ni mis propinquus ades.
    Eldar and IG Trial Photos - learning a new camera
    Quote Originally Posted by bielmic
    ...everytime you say that, a talentless GW game designer gets it's wings...

  7. #7
    Chapter Master leonmallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Somewhere near my computer with a cuppa
    Posts
    3,455

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by electricblooz View Post
    I'll take the converse of the speculation - since it would be difficult to make Inquisitors from either Orodos any worse (without making them completely pointless), I suspect they will simply remove them to make room for shiney new units. As it stands now, practically the only reasonable build for an Inquisitor is a psychic hood, 3 HB firebase. If they remove the effectiveness of that build you might as well invest in more line troops (of whatever flavor).

    As to what might replace the INQ's for the WH at least there are zealots (infinitely the best WH CC unit) and a "real" Arbites entry using the shiney new SM shotgun stats. I have no speculations about DH - with the changes in CSm and CD, that particular army might as well not even exist anymore.
    Sorry, didn't mean in terms of toned down for efficacy, but rather for the emphasis and options.

  8. #8

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    I'm also of the impression it's Robin Cruddace writing the new guard codex. Phil Kelly I think was mentioned to be writing the new Space wolf codex. (Half remembered so not entirely sure.)

  9. #9
    Commander Spectral Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    545

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    There were no details beyond the indicated focus shift, and they would seem that they are in the talking stage (I didn't get the sense that JJ was thinking out loud on this, but rather indicating the current view which may be vague at best), even if only very tentatively. That said, it is rare to completely lose the option to use established 'normal' units from revised codexes, so I wouldn't worry too much. I just expect the GK and SoB to get buffed, and the Inquisitors and henchmen toned down a little maybe, but that is pure speculation of course.
    Fortunately, a "Shift of Focus," doesn't necessarily mean they are taking inquisitors out of the picture. They may simply be streamlined and put out as Elite choices instead of taken out of the picture entirely.

  10. #10
    Chapter Master The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    10,204

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by cailus View Post
    Dunno about the Guard codex, but the first 3rd edition Chaos codex was viewed even at time as total trash and most people still view it as the worst Chaos codex.

    So are you insinuating that GW will be releasing some bad codexes in the next 4-6 years?
    Iím not insinuating anything, simply stating that a 5-6 year turnaround in Codices does not in any real sense equate to a 5-6 year turnaround in editions.

    I agree it is probable, but hell, thatís a fairly decent lifespan IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Dragon View Post
    Fortunately, a "Shift of Focus," doesn't necessarily mean they are taking inquisitors out of the picture. They may simply be streamlined and put out as Elite choices instead of taken out of the picture entirely.
    Exactly. Just as the new CSM Dex ensured the focus was on the Marines by changing the role of Daemons, the Inquisition element of these lists will remain, but in a slightly altered capacity.

    You also have to remember that things like Inq Stormtroopers and tithed units would fall under that banner too. For this reason I would expect Inquisitors to appear in a similar way in the new Guard Dex. That would give us an idea of how they will function in a Sisters or Knights force.
    The Tale of Guilders

    That's just... like... your opinion, man.

    #| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#

  11. #11
    Librarian Finn Sourscowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Somewhere where sleep is no longer an option...
    Posts
    428

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    surely shifting towards their chambers militant means that of the three Inquisition types, two of these armies would be space marine chapters. OK, heavily modified chapters, but marines non-the-less...

    This would be a shame... I like the emphasis on the Inquisitors!

    Thanks for the info, though! Must get me to a tournament at WW at some point
    "Lets see how those degenerate sophisticates deal with a healthy dose of pure, unreasoning violence"

    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Boyz View Post
    "They're Elves with Heavy Armor, shoot them. Even if you don't hit, they'll likely die from the breeze created by the bullets".

  12. #12
    Brother Sergeant
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    71

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Someone ask about Space Hulk!!!

  13. #13
    Commander The Phazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    498

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    It'd be a shame if the Inquisitors are reduced - they're some of the most characterful bits of the 40k universe, and Inquisitorial retinues are the best place to bring across the background of the Imperium in the game IMO.

    Still, I imagine they'll change their minds about it at least six times before it actually happens anyway.

    Phazer

  14. #14
    Chapter Master The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    10,204

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    What he stated was that Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters will remain seperate army lists.
    Now did he specifically say Army Lists? Because that doesn't necessarily preclude them appearing in the same book.
    The Tale of Guilders

    That's just... like... your opinion, man.

    #| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#

  15. #15

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    I can't quote him as my memory isn't that good. However I believe he said that Daemon hunters and Witch hunters would not be merged or combined. That they would remain separate entities.

    I would take this to mean they are unlikely to release them as one book. However it is fair to think they might change their minds.

  16. #16
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,751

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post

    He stated that the plan is to now work to a 4-6 year period of renewal for the codexes and army books. As in Canada a few months ago he reiterated that if they get ahead then new stuff can come in, but only if they are on course with the existing books. He sounded genuine in this to my mind.
    So in essence he's confirmed that a new edition will be out some time between 2011 and 2013?

    Because after all the books have been reviewed, there should arguably be no new codexes as everything's in line with each other. The only way to continue releasing new books is to release a new edition.


    Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    I asked about the rumoured combined/not combined Inquisition book. What he stated was that Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters will remain seperate army lists, that they remain part of the planned 4-6 year edition life cycle, and that the focus will shift towards the militant chambers for each rather than the emphasis being on the Inquisitors. He indicated that the emphasis came from the fact that they were working on Inquisitor at around the same time and basically got a bit carried away.
    While I think SoB should have their own army list, I don't know about Grey Knights who should be as rare as hens teeth. I much preferred it when they were a single unit you could take when Daemons were present.

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    I brought up the wargear/weapon discrepencies for identical wargear across different codexes. He may have misconstrued my question because he defended it by citing different points costings, but didn't offer any hope of resolution when I clarified my question as in essence they (GW) see it as too big an undertaking to create such consistency (I may be misquoting Jervis, and apologies if I am, but that felt like the gist of the response).
    It's funny he mentioned points costings because the Marines are better and cheaper than DA/BA. Does Jervis even know how each of the codexes operate?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    Besides Griff Oberwald upcoming (SG I know, but bear with me) he indicated that there is no planned renewed support for Specialist Games at this time, which obviously has an impact on the 40K realted elements.
    Disappointing as SG are the better games.

  17. #17
    Chapter Master The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    10,204

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by cailus View Post
    So in essence he's confirmed that a new edition will be out some time between 2011 and 2013?
    We have in the past had instances of multiple editions of Codices in a single Game edition, such as Guard and Chaos.
    The Tale of Guilders

    That's just... like... your opinion, man.

    #| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#

  18. #18
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,751

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    We have in the past had instances of multiple editions of Codices in a single Game edition, such as Guard and Chaos.
    Dunno about the Guard codex, but the first 3rd edition Chaos codex was viewed even at time as total trash and most people still view it as the worst Chaos codex.

    So are you insinuating that GW will be releasing some bad codexes in the next 4-6 years?

    We also had the Trial Assault and Trial Vehicle rules at the time of the 3.5 codexes and every one knew a new edition was waiting in the wings.

  19. #19
    Chapter Master Lord Cook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portsmouth UK
    Posts
    8,235

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    I don't agree with the emphasis on the militant orders over the Inquisition elements. To me, the Inquisition is by far the more interesting and characterful, second only to the Adeptus Mechanicus in that regard. We need more whacky Inquisition units, not less.
    An Exercise in Loyalty - Imperial Guard vs Blood Angels (2000 points), ooh pictures!

    Hall of Fame - Best 40k pics old and new.

  20. #20
    Chapter Master baphomael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    4,330

    Re: Some odd snippets for GT heat 2 seminar with Jervis Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    I don't agree with the emphasis on the militant orders over the Inquisition elements. To me, the Inquisition is by far the more interesting and characterful, second only to the Adeptus Mechanicus in that regard. We need more whacky Inquisition units, not less.
    To be fair, Inquisitors shouldnt overshadow the Chambers Militant (afterall, thats what the Chamber Militant is for - fighting). Inquisitors are *mainly* investigators and dont *tend* to get stuck into fighting themselves. Many are forced, or choose, to get stuck into a nice big war but generally they remain in the shadows, and the way the current books deal with Inquisitors detracts from this a bit.
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •