View Poll Results: Do you think it take to long for GW to produce codex/army books?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes GW takes to long

    119 65.38%
  • no it's fine the way it is

    63 34.62%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Thread: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    Hello all Id just like your imput. Do you think GW takes to long to release codex's and army books. IMO I think they do (Dark eldar being the example). Now I know they are working on thing here and there but It kinda sucks to have to wait for codex's. Espically if a certain army is your fav.

    I remember when I had to wait for the dark elves to get a new book. I stopped playing the game. I find that due to the slow release of these books people start to leave the hobby.

    I know this may not be possible but I think GW should speed things up a bit and give thighter dead lines. There is always an faq/errata which can be done after the fact. (seems to be the norm)

    But maybe I'm just babbling what do you guys think?
    For the Greater Good!!!

  2. #2
    Chapter Master TheDarkDuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    in ways yes they take to long. looking at dark elder its been how long since an update? and space marines have had how many updates/ new chapter books etc? but then i also think of how poorly written some of these books really are and that makes me think they need to take more time writing them or replace some of the monkeys on the typewriters.....

    so im kinda sitting on the fence on this.
    Last edited by TheDarkDuke; 13-02-2009 at 15:04.

  3. #3
    Chapter Master RichBlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    The issue isn't "How long does it take to make the books?" but rather "Do you think GW have a screwed up system for codex releases?".

    The new codexes are generally made, along with new models, relativley quickly, however it's the order and way they choose which codexes to do that is wrong. Strictly speaking the fairest way would be to draw up a list and follow that, starting the next army after finishing the last, and only returning to that army once everyone has an updated codex.

    However this would mean their mainstream army/armies (SM) would be out of date for a good few years.

    I'm sure they have reasons behind their methods, i just dont have a clue what they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    Ah yes, how could I forget RichBlake; our friendly neighbourhood commissar
    13th Cadian Regiment - Project Log
    Total Victories: 58
    Death Toll (enemy action): 4385
    Total Executions (for cowardice, incompetence etc.): 384

    The Pack

  4. #4

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    I see both your point 100%. But I feel some book get way more attention marines come to mind. True there has been many screw ups but I guess that what faq/errata are for

    To be honest I think GW should just get into gear. Books should be tested close to the same time so you can tell if it's broken or not. This woulod also allow many realeases at once instead of waiting for 100 yrs for a codex/army book to be made.

    At the present I do not like the way GW takes so long to produce a book. In 40k Im a Tau player and I don't expect to see a codex until the year 2015 if Im lucky. This is not acceptable imo.

    As I said making people wait this long for a codex is going to get them to leave the game and looses interest. Or maybe go to a competitor that dosen't make you wait so long. I can think of a game but I wont post that here.
    For the Greater Good!!!

  5. #5

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    Look at fantasy, they get a new armybook every 4-5 months
    Not to sure if I agree here. I had to wait pfff I don't even know how long before a new Dark elf book came out. And from what roumours I've heard the chaos dwarves are coming out again. I think they were made back in the 90's thats a looooooong time.
    For the Greater Good!!!

  6. #6
    Librarian Forlorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    433

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    I can't say I'd look forward to having to buy the same Codex again and again every few months. Screw that.
    Last edited by Forlorn; 18-02-2009 at 17:18.
    Originally Posted by Rick Blaine

    I don't get this fascination the internet has with plastic Plaguebearers. Surely we all have all the PBs we need by now?

    Quote Originally Posted by GodlessM View Post
    By that completely unsupported logic there would be no point in any of the releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Sinclair View Post
    Broken titans make baby Emperor cry.

  7. #7
    Chapter Master Goq Gar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen, BABY!
    Posts
    4,379

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    I'm very tempted to say "Case and point: Dark Eldar", but the issue isnt book release, it's army updating.

    The best way to do army release is, as they do, a staggered release. However, every army should be updated once at a time. Dark Eldar have not been updated since... pretty much when I started playing 40k. Space marines have been updated more than is natural.

    Of course, this all boils down to money. GW need to make money, they are a company. So they keep interest in the popular armies to keep the hobby alive. If other armies have to be neglected to keep GW afloat, so be it.

    GW recently released their credit report, or whatever you call it. And based on that, I am forced to question what i've written above. Put it this way, GW are not in a financial crisis. So are they simply screwing gamers for more money? Quite possibly. But when you get down to it, GW are the owners of this hobby. It is entirely up to them what they do, and what we say is about as influential as released gas in a jacuzzi.

    I hope i've brought some insight.
    Quote Originally Posted by The pestilent 1 View Post
    Goq, you are a devious fiend of the highest order.
    At long last, ive changed my avatar. It made me laugh heartily.

  8. #8
    Chapter Master SPYDER68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,179

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    Its honestly hard to say on this one..

    Look at fantasy, they get a new armybook every 4-5 months, with around 4 a year, 40k gets maybe 2 a year 3 if very lucky.


    So is it more ..

    Does GW put out armybooks for 40k to slow ?

  9. #9

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    They should be doing things like they did with 5 to 6th edition of WFB with all armies getting fast playable rules and then releasing codexes every 3 or 4 months.
    Rending ponies are out of fassion now we demand Rending Kangaroos

    But when noone are available we will take poisoned kangaroos too

  10. #10
    Chapter Master Murphey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    Personally? I like the rate at which they produce army books, for one simple reason:

    I don't trust them not to screw up the next codex of my army.

    A perfect example: Chaos Space Marines were my secondary army for about 4 years. The codex was beautiful. The sheer variation, the tons of different options, and the ability to make a truly unique army was amazing.

    Then, the new chaos codex comes out. Less options than even the newer codices, a complete lack of legion options, a complete removal of many previous units (thus making many modeled miniatures non-wysiwyg), and overall just an utterly disappointing codex.

    Ultimately, I had to give up my chaos marines (being that all the units I used before do not exist any more), thus leaving me pretty bitter about that codex.

    So as far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with the fact that there will not be a new 'Nid codex for another 5+ years (they are my primary), because I really like my 'Nid army, and I don't want to lose that one too.

    ~Murphey
    For the Needler shall descend from On High,
    And Murphey shall pass unto others,
    So that all might know His Love.

  11. #11

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    I can't I'd look forward to having to buy the same Codex again and again every few months. Screw that.
    Firstly id like to say your avatar is awesome!!!!


    But now imagine if GW released all the books close to the same time and actually kept an edition for a good solid while. That way you would not have to keep buying new codex's. And on top of that if somthing is messed up there is always an faq/errata which would work just fine.
    For the Greater Good!!!

  12. #12
    Chapter Master IJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sunny Devon
    Posts
    9,748

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    Quote Originally Posted by SPYDER68 View Post
    Look at fantasy, they get a new armybook every 4-5 months, with around 4 a year, 40k gets maybe 2 a year 3 if very lucky.
    Basic maths fail - four a year would be every three months. Every 4-5 months is, in fact, the 2-3 books a year that both 40k and Warhammer get.

    Quote Originally Posted by AUN'SHI View Post
    But now imagine if GW released all the books close to the same time and actually kept an edition for a good solid while.
    And what would GW then use for sales boosts in between the editions? Apart from every previous GW attempt at lots of books in a short time having resulted in bad books - 3rd ed pamphlets, I'm looking at you!

  13. #13
    Chapter Master SPYDER68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,179

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    Quote Originally Posted by IJW View Post
    Basic maths fail - four a year would be every three months. Every 4-5 months is, in fact, the 2-3 books a year that both 40k and Warhammer get.


    And what would GW then use for sales boosts in between the editions? Apart from every previous GW attempt at lots of books in a short time having resulted in bad books - 3rd ed pamphlets, I'm looking at you!
    Oh sry, you came off good as looking like a prick thou over a typo, congrat, make yourself feel better now ?

    *3-5 months.. Happy ??

  14. #14

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    And what would GW then use for sales boosts in between the editions? Apart from every previous GW attempt at lots of books in a short time having resulted in bad books - 3rd ed pamphlets, I'm looking at you!
    I think they could probably use expansion to the army book. or such things like apacolypse. Or make more minis. People will still be buying just not codex's and more models instead.

    And they would still come out with new edition that wont change and ppl will start buying the new codex.

    Buy making book s quicker I think this would boost sales. The reason is because ppl will now be able to actually buy an army and do somthing with it. As opposed to just wait for their book to come out then buy an army.
    For the Greater Good!!!

  15. #15
    Commander bomblu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Europe, Malta
    Posts
    863

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    I noted No but the answer might be 'Yes and No' cos a release such as the Dark Eldar one's quite drie yet somehow GW released Space marnies every 2 years - same goes for some obsucre armies.

    They release a lot of stuff in one year but the ones that rly need a re-do seem to be put aside - i long for the day/opportunity to work with GW as to try and fix some of this stuff

  16. #16

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    I just wish they'd do (at least) one book for each army for each edition, and have them all in the same style and relatively balanced.

    If they did then how longthey took wouldn't really matter.

  17. #17
    Chapter Master Noserenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southampton UK
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    When they released lots of codexes at once, those codexes were *****. Personally I would prefer bigger gaps between some Codexes, the Old Codex Marines was in many ways better imho.
    Pre Heresy Alpha Legion
    29/11/13 Odds and sods since Betrayal
    Nietzsche is dead.
    -God

  18. #18

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    I would say GW took too long to release new army books and codices, but they seem to have stepped it up in the last 18 months or so. Right now, the release rate seems almost right, but 40k does feel like its lagging a little.

    I think the reason we're seeing more Fantasy army books is because the chaos book was split into 3 parts and after the Daemons release, they've been doing damage control on the other two book to get new editions out within a short time frame.

  19. #19
    Chapter Master Chem-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stompin fur da Emprah!
    Posts
    6,273

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    Yes and no, the enthusiast in me wants all of the Codexes now, the realist in me know there are reasons that that isn't sensible (let alone possible) to do it like this.

    It's frustrating but at least the time between books means we can give our armies a little bit more attention in sequence, My IG are chomping at the bit
    40K spend '09: £205.70.'10: £87.50.'11: £29.00. '12: £89.00. '13: £35.50. '14 £75.50. '15 £424.00
    WANTED: 1 Elysian Shotgun & appropriate arms.

    Brimstone. Gone but not forgotten.

  20. #20
    Chapter Master Jellicoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sleepy Cranbrook
    Posts
    1,056

    Re: Does GW take to long to produce codex/army books

    Yes and no - the pace is probably OK the choice as others have said is more questionable, particularly as there are races that are significantly neglected for long periods Dark Eldar as mentioned and for a long while the Ork codex was an equal embarassment

    The daemon codices were a further unnecessary distraction from the core armies and doubly irritated me as they completely invalidated my previous Hordes of Chaos army and emasculated the CSM army
    What do you mean 'Flash Gordon approaching'?

    Would all section 7 personnel report for decontamination in the decontamination unit in the decontamination block for immediate decontamination

    with a few exceptions no one but Jellicoe has a clue

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •