Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A lot of green against a feeble mind (O&G)

A lot of green against a feeble mind (O&G)

EDIT 09/11 : I applied for the ToFP 2011/2012 in the boy category. Work starts on page 5, post #93.

Hello fellow warseers,

Inspired by other logs, I decided to start one myself. I hope it will encourage me to build, convert and paint my greenskin army that I've been collecting for like 12 or 13 years now.

I've already painted some minis, but the ratio between finished and unfinished (or never started) minis is still in favor of the later. I recently got interested again in my colection by watching other people logs, particularly in the science fiction subforum and the many beautiful ork armies there (like Synapse's one).

EDIT : I'm adding here the complete list of my models, which I'm going to update everytime I complete a model :

colour = unassembled, still in box
    colour = assembled, or being built
    colour = painting in progress
    colour = done !

Characters

Grimgor Ironhide
    Morglum necksnapper
    Gorbad Ironclaw
    Azhag the Slaughterer
    Azhag the Slaughterer (oop)

Grom the Paunch

Orc warboss riding wyvern
    Orc warboss riding wyvern
    Nazgob, orc shaman
    Orc shaman (plastic, conversion)

Savage orc shaman on foot (metal, oop)
    Savage orc boss (plastic)

Goblin shaman (metal)
    Goblin shaman (plastic)

Night Goblin shaman (Oddgit)
    Night Goblin shaman (Oddgit)

Troops (orcs)

35 orc warriors, choppa+shield
    36 orcs warriors, double choppas

10 orc arrerboyz

16 orc big uns (metal, oop)
    24 orc big uns (various metal models)

19 black orcs
    31 black orcs (metal, oop)
    25 savage orcs (metal, oop)

10 savage orcs (plastic)

20 boarboyz (plastic)
    8 boarboyz (metal, oop)

Troops (goblins)

31 goblins, spear+shield
    20 night goblins (BfSP), spear+shield
    5 night goblins, short bows
    18 night goblins, short bows
    40 night goblins (BfSP and new edition)
    20 night goblins
    3 fanatics

6 fanatics

20 wolf riders
    5 spider riders
    16 squig herds

3 Snotlings swarms

Warmachines

1 goblin chariot
    1 goblin chariot
    1 orc chariot
    1 orc chariot
    1 spear chukka
    1 rock lobber (metal, oop)
    1 rock lobber
    1 goblin doom diver
    1 goblin doom diver
    1 snotling pump wagon (metal, oop)
    1 snotling pump wagon

Monsters

4 stone trolls
    3 river trolls

1 giant (plastic)
    2 giants (Albion giants)

Miscellaneous

1 limited edition white dwarf
    1 limited edition elf ranger (Mordheim)
    1 Games Day demon slayer
    1 Egrimm Von Horstmann

10 orcs warriors (dragonrune)
    8 ogres (dragonrune)

10 sebeki warriors (crocodile games)
    1 Sebeki champion (crocodile games)
    1 Beloved of Sobek (crocodile games)

Hmm, that's a lot of red still...:cries:

Models painted/total models : 233/488 !!
    Last edited by azhagmorglum; 23-04-2015 at 18:00.
    My fantasy log : A lot of green against a feeble mind
    Models painted 2011= 45 / 2012 = 62 / 2013 = 67 / 2014 = 48 / 2015 = 22

Quote Originally Posted by Blutrache
    I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

Re: A lot of green against a feeble mind (O&G)

Hi, it's me again. Ok I cheated, but I need people to read that part (beause I know some people don't like reading and prefer to look at pictures) :

I'd like to know more about posting pictures (for when I'll have some to post), especially if it's possible to do it from a gallery in warseer (and how to create one).

I like when pictures are viewable directly in the post, so i need to know the exact technique for that too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

And now something more concrete.

I've got pictures of the minis I've already painted I'd like to share (though I'm going to repaint most of them after).

I also started on re-doing my orc regiments. So far I've rebased 2 units (20 one choppa+shield orcs, and 20 2 choppas orcs), as well as doing some minor conversions on them. Pictures will follow when I'll know how to post pictures and when I'll find a camera to take pictures.

Thanks for reading

to post a picture just But [IMG]AND[/IMG] on either end to the link of your pic, they need to be on an internet album, i use photobucket)

I use photobucket as well, a minimum of BS and does the IMG thing for you- just cut and paste into an entry.

Congratulations on starting a log, fellow O&G painter!

Photobucket works nice, and includes no commercials for us or whatever.

Its very simple, actually. Go to www.photobucket.com and get an account started. Upload pictures via the 'upload' button.
    Move your mouse pointer over the picture you want to put here. A menu appears.
    And then either:

1- select direct link, click it (copies automatically) and go to advanced message making here on the boards. Then in the buttons above the message typing screen is also a button showing a mountain and a sun. Click that, and put in the link to the pic.

2- the easy way: in the menu that appears when you scroll over the picture in photobucket, also an option 'image tags' or something appears, with the [IMG] tags already around it. Click it and paste directly (Ctrl-v) into your message here.

Max 4 pics per post. Now get some coming, we're getting impatient.
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

Ok thanks for the help guys, I'll do my best to post pictures asap. This afternoon, I'm gonna paint some orcs (spearboyz).

Ok here are the first pictures of my log.

First, some miniatures I painted before.

Some more :

Ok, it's not a lot of things, but I"ve painted more minis than that, the thing is I've never trully finished a unit completely (except maybe for the metal big un's) so my work is spread between different minis.
    I'll try to take more pictures, for now the camera went out of battery and I don't have spare ones.

I managed to take pictures of what I'm doing now, i.e rebasing 2 units of 20 orcs as well as minor conversion and greenstuff work. Here we go :

Orcs with two choppas. You'll will notice some conversion work, like arm repositioning, weapon swap

Fourth rank :

Third rank :

Second rank :

Last edited by azhagmorglum; 20-02-2009 at 12:40.

First rank, with zooms on command squad :

And for the greenstuff work it's only small details, like leather straps :

As you can see, I used regimental bases because it makes ranking easier. I still need to flock the bases, and afterwards I will undercoat and start the paint job.
    I'll try to use simple but efficient techniques like the one in synapse's log ("start of my bad moon army" in the science fiction forum).
    Last edited by azhagmorglum; 20-02-2009 at 12:41.

The reason why I changed some of the weapons/arms is because i didn't like very much the "only one" pose these miniatures had. So I tried to add a bit of diversity by converting some orcs.
    I particularly like the boss' new weapon, and the new standard bearer pole.

As you can see, these orcs are already painted, but they were not fully completed and the paint job is rather simple, hardly table top (is that the word?) level. I'll repaint them entirely after flocking the bases.

I have pictures of the second unit of 20 orcs (with one choppa and shields) but I'm waiting for some comments before I post them.

I love seeing those junky old single pose guys getting some love- it's pretty impressive what a head swap and repositioning an arm can do.

If you have some of the old 1 piece arrer boyz you can convert them fairly easily to choppa & shield or 2x choppa boyz pretty easily if you have some extra bits laying around (I did this to make a unit of HW&S boyz- it's not done yet but i think there's a pic in my log).

Looking good, can't wait for more!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffburger View Post
    I love seeing those junky old single pose guys getting some love- it's pretty impressive what a head swap and repositioning an arm can do.

If you have some of the old 1 piece arrer boyz you can convert them fairly easily to choppa & shield or 2x choppa boyz pretty easily if you have some extra bits laying around (I did this to make a unit of HW&S boyz- it's not done yet but i think there's a pic in my log).

Looking good, can't wait for more!
    yes stuffburger, I've got 18 plastic arrerboyz. I don't know yet if I'm going to keep them as they are or convert them to "combat" boyz, the thing is it took me more than 12 hours to convert the 2 units of 20 boyz (cleaning, glueing, cutting, converting, pinning, greenstuffing etc...). I'm kinda slow, but I don"t want to rush my work so as to be pleased with what I achieve.

And thanks for your interest

Alright, not a lot of comments so far, but anyway, I'm going to post pictures of the second unit I've redone : 20 orcs with one choppa and (separate for now) shield.

The unit in all its glory :

Zoom on the boss (a lot of pinning on this one, I was quite fed up with the metal parts always falling apart before). So I pinned the left foot to the base, the torso to the legs, the right arm to the body, and the head to the neck) :

As you can see I converted also the standard bearer, I'm quite happy with the wood sculpting, what do you think?
    The problem is that now the mini is not balanced and keeps falling forward, but I'll find a solution later
    Last edited by azhagmorglum; 20-02-2009 at 22:13.

UPDATE : today, instead of painting, I flocked the two units of 20 orcs and primed them also in black.

(I couldn't paint because most of my paint pots have dried, it's been at least 2 years since I last painted something...)
    So I plan on buying some paints, for now I've recently acquired the lavis set and the foundation paint set. Painting should start soon, I hope.

And when I get new batteries for the camera, I'll try to take pictures of the full army so that you can see the extent of the work I'll have to do to complete my greenskins.

Ho I almost forgot. I've got more picture of that second unit. EDIT : I've just noticed that I completely forgot to put the fifth orc of each rank in the pictures. Well I'll try not to forget him when I'll take pictures of the painted unit.
    Fourth rank :

Third rank :

And second rank :

Last edited by azhagmorglum; 20-02-2009 at 22:23.

Are you going to repaint them?
    Cause I just noticed in this last unit, that its the lower eyelids that are painted red, not the eyes...

Orc eyes are quite small, you know.
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

Yeah I know, but it's very difficult to get to paint those really small eyes. I found that painting the eyelid is ok, as long as it remains small, and from far you can't really tell the difference.

And yes I'm going to repaint all of them, like I said in a previous post, I've already black-primed the 2 units. Maybe I'll try to paint the eyes properly this time.

EDIT : QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU : do you think it's possible to use only foundation paints and lavis to paint your minis? Cause I don't want to invest in new paint pots (except for a metal color maybe) if I can do everything with foundation paints ?
    Last edited by azhagmorglum; 21-02-2009 at 11:17.

I'm not too familiar with the foundation line of paints but as far as I know they are just thickish, darkish paints that work well for undercoats. I don't see why you couldn't, if you wanted a muted color scheme.

If you don't end up going that route ordering vallejo paints or something similar online will save you quite a bit vs. GW stuff in store- there's an article on saving money (authored by yours truly) about that in my sig.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast