Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Fae - Warriors of Chaos and the army of Neknoh

The Dark Fae - Warriors of Chaos and the army of Neknoh

Within the Old World lies forests darker than the mind of any madman, and deeper than the Sea of Worms, within them dwell the Forest Spirits and the Beastmen, some whisper of Ahsra'ee, a kindred of pale figures that blend with shadows and hold vile hunts on human livestock. But there are more legends associated with the ancient forests of darkness and twisted trees, of moss and stone and eyes in the dark.

Some speak of beautiful maidens that dance at dawn and trap any who they find watching, for them to use as playthings and join them in the eternal dance in the mists of sunrise. Others speak of valiant knights of old Breton and mighty Empire, who journey into the depths and hearts of the forest to battle against foul fiends, and are never heard of again. Some say there is a tree adorned in the shields of these men, guarded by a knight clad in black armour, whilst others say the Fairy Queen herself takes them as her champions, to do battle between themselves and to others.

There are stories of maidens who went out to do laundry or chores near the brink of the forest, their songs causing the trees around them to fall in love. When the maidens then sought to leave, they would not find the pathway home where it had been before, instead, a new pathway would be open and they would tread upon it, only to dissapear into darkness and scream in the shadows as the trees took them in and made them part of themselves.

I will tell you of these fairytales children, and I trust your parents to retell them and sorely scold you if you do not pay heed to this, for the forests of these lands are dark, and in the darkness waits the fae.

This will be the log which details the reconstruction of my Warriors of Chaos army, it will take over where Valdred left off (although, the saga of valdred will continue, however, at the moment, the saga will be put to the side in favour of these tales), meaning that it will include the models, and some of the background of Valdred and his village. The log will also retell different fairytales that I will write, they will likely be inspired by things you have read before, and that is the very purpose of it, to take themes from legends, myths and stories and weave them all together into one army.

If you do not like fluff, feel free to just scroll past any italic text and just watch the models, but don't come asking "why do they look like that?" if you don't at least skim it before asking.

First of all, my warshrine, inspired by a piece of Arthurian myth which I simply cannot properly remember where I read it.

Long ago, near the forest of Ghálons in the land of Breton, a young noble was summoned by the king, his task was simple and his heart was humble, hunt down and slay the man responsible for the murders of several trusted knights in the service of our land. Or at least see to it that the man responsible is found and that he shall be considered for the army should he prove worthy.

The knights had not been merely murdered, but beaten and killed in what seemed like a duel, their shields were nowhere to be found and their bodies were laid across the backs of their horses, so that when the horse did run, it carried its master on its back. Five knights and three young errants had all returned to their homes around the forest of Ghálons in this maner. All of them had ridden their steeds into the forest, and their corpses had ridden them back.

And so the young man set out to find this mystic man whom it was that had killed the honored knights, for five days and five nights he rode and coaxed his way through the forest. Untill one day, in the early morning light that fell sparsely through the trees, he heard a giggle from behind. The young knight turned around, his sword and shield raised high and fast... but noone stood there, it was but empty bushes and hollow trees. And then he heard it yet again, but from further in this time, a female voice, so fair and frail it enthralled him and trapped his heart. "Come see my champion oh youngling knight, come see him and test your strength and worth", she giggled again. The young noble could not resist, it was as if a siren called him, haunted him, dragged him onwards, as if a horse with steady pull, forced his steps ever onwards.

And there, in a clearing, near a tree all hung with shields, stood a man much taller than he had ever seen, clad in black and wicked armour, but the armour was not truly foreign, nor was it awful wicked, it bore resemblance to both Breton and Empire, it bore the helmet of a noble and the knives of a savage. Long ago there had been a Lord, the young noble recalled, who had sought to best each man and beast opposed to Giles himself. And so the Lord set out, his armour forged for battle alone, a great axe hung by his side... and into the forest of Ghálons he rode.

The young noble swallowed down hard, but he could not back down, something pulled his heart, played and twitched the strings that tied it to himself, he had to face this man, clad fully in black and with an axe that looked as if it could fell a tree with but a single blow. The giggling sound of the woman or girl fluttered through the air like a host of butterflies, sounding of silver bells and leaping brooks. The black knight before him picked up his axe and looked his way, the wind playing in the shields that hung from the tree behind the knight, and our young noble saw but his own death in the jetblack armour of the knight and the silverbell laughter of the fae.

Later on that day, a horse came trotting from within the forest, on its back the corpse of our young noble, his sword shattered and still in his grip, a large gaping wound across his chest, but his shield his beloved did not get to see, for it hung from the branch of a tree, deep within the forest, the silver laughter of the fae wrapping it in mists.

The shrine is not fully completed yet, there should be some sort of fae added to the branches of the tree and there is a log missing from the base, of course the leaves should come on as well, as should some stone and sand and some foilage and paint. But the conversion itself is basically done.

I envisaged a tree that is also a shrine to the Fae, the cavity will have a foilage floor inside of it and I shall place a small candle in there as well, OSL-painting the inside to look as if the candle is lit. I might drill some holes into the area from different angles in order to naturally light it a bit as well.

The tree was done using the Warhammer Forest tree with ropes around it, Dryad back-bits and an arm was then added to the lower root-parts in order to make it look more as if though it is crawling forward using its roots. I also added two bretonnian shields to the ropes hanging from the tree, as well as two Empire knight shields to the ropes binding the tree together and a High Elf shield to the back of it all. The Bretonnian and High Elf shields will be freehanded or transfered with different heraldry and colours to represent different knights having fallen to the black knight guarding it.

The Black Knight is one of the new Chosen models, the one with as few Chaos symbols on him as possible, he has also been given a Bretonnian Knight of the Realm head and the remnants of a chainmail cloak have been sculpted on his back.

Not really a lot more to say about this model, I've got the "What makes a fae" question up in the painting section in order to get some feedback and ideas on what to do with the Fae, heck, do I even need one?
    Fleets of steampunk airships need playtesting; Above the Seven Seas andSteamflight Games - the, now official, website of Above the Seven Seas
    Cross of Roses ANOTHER system? You ask... yes, I am that mad, thisone will be skirmish-sized

The Dark Fae, my Warriors of Chaos army with a different theme than normal. Updated 28/2 09

Re: The Dark Fae - Warriors of Chaos and the army of Neknoh

Now, onto the knights.

They say that within the darkness of the forests, deep within the heart of night, where stone is soft and moss is hard and the lights of stars and sun never touch the ground lies the trone of the Fae. The air is forever chilled and mists lie much like a damp veil around the glen that houses the throne. On the throne sits the queen, and around her, forever watchful, stand her champions, knights taken from their land drawn into the forest. For the Fae loves them, each and every one of them, and whenever she falls in love with another knight, she lures him to her throne.

When at the throne, the silent horns of ages past will echo through the forrest heart, and wake spirits from the dawn of time and onward. These will race through the cooling brooks, across the misted hills, between the old gnarled trees and twist and turn and run and leap, for the Knight that has been lured unto the throne of Fae will come to know the life of thorns.

As the spirits twirl and run, they pay no heed to mortal life, the touch of such a spirit, be it but a whisk of hair, will drag the soul out from the mortal coil that was unfortunate to stand in their way, and force the soul to run with them, if it ever wants its true life back, for spirit that first reaches the knight, and touches him with its ghastly hand, will reap the reward that has been promised by the queen. New life, if but for a fleeting moment or passing day, the spirit of the knight himself forsaken and trapped within a rose on the briars cradling the throne of Fae.

As the day reaches an end, the spirit that won the race for life and touch now slips away and slowly runs like harmless mist across the land, to rest where once it rested yet again. And when the Fae want her champions back, for battle, pleasure or just for fun, she laughs her silver laughter and her playful giggle and sings the reel for but a moment, and the ancient horns of spirits from the dawn of time, echo once more through the forest, as the chase begins anew, to have a body, if for but a moment.

I wanted to create something in between man and forest for these, knights stolen by the fae and made her own, and as I wrote, the fluff evolved into something wonderfully dark and befittingly fae, so I decided to keep it like that.

The Knights are made from Dryad bits and bretonnian Knights of the Realm, some basic greenstuff securing, tidying and filling need to be done on some of them I reckon, but the quality is good enough to post up here. I've got at least two shots of every knight, and a handful more of the champion, so if anyone want specific pictures, just ask.

And a picture of what I've got thus far, it took me some five hours to put all of this together, and I've got some other things planned.

Comments and criticism are most welcome
    Fleets of steampunk airships need playtesting; Above the Seven Seas andSteamflight Games - the, now official, website of Above the Seven Seas
    Cross of Roses ANOTHER system? You ask... yes, I am that mad, thisone will be skirmish-sized

The Dark Fae, my Warriors of Chaos army with a different theme than normal. Updated 28/2 09

Nice stuff so far, looking forward to seeing how you progress with this theme. It definately has lots of potential.
    Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is light as a feather.

Good start...

Have you seen this? You've got a similar theme going which can only be a good thing, cos if you can pull it off, I'll have another link for my favorites

The warshrine is the highlight for me at the mo... nice fluff and that chosen looks surprisingly good with the helmet.

Are you using the foliage that comes with the trees or something more natural?

And whats your plans for marauders? (if you have any)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamfrit The Narroq View Post
    Damn you Ghod!

Oh yes, the Briar Knights were the army that made me look at my "zomg, we've got spikes and we're evul!" chaos that lay in bits and ruins and made me think "I'll never be that awesome", this spawned the army of Valdred, but there was still something missing. And then, one day, a friend of mine was over for some boardgaming and aikido practice (he lives a handful of hours away, by train), and he mentioned Dark Fae.

I emmediately latched on to the idea, and combined with the forest-bases used by the Briar Rose army, I knew just what to do.

For the warshrine, I will likely use the leaves that follows with the trees, I will strive to paint them as dark as possible though, making sure they get suitably forested up and not some light, bright happy park colour. For bases however, I am looking at Woodland Scenics foilage, got some from a friend who's got tonnes and happily donated to this project (thank you Zoat).

For Marauders, I am going to add dryad bits to some Gors and Ungors that I've got left over, I'll also forest up the bases of Valdred and his men. To finish it off, I am thinking of ways to turn the horrible, steroid abusing marauders into something useful, seing as I'm using two units of 25 in my final list, I simply don't have enough "pretty" models to use. Cloth covers to their faces, slightly tanned skins and lots of tatoes have been one thought. More are happily welcome.

For Marauder Horsemen, I'll convert some Centigors, but they don't need all too much work, their kitout might not turn out to be the ideal I always advice people to use, but the models will simply look better. I'll work on a smaller chaos army contingent allongside of this project (nothing too interesting, just extra models that will be poppable into this army but wont really be themed for it, this to allow some costumisation of the list and still carying some resemblance, but I really want to focus on theming up the fae as the primary army).

Definitely love the idea behind the army mate, and the Shrine looks good, especially with the head swap.

Are you going to have a Sorcerer Lord/Exalted as your Fae? And how would you do it?
    Or are you just gonna have her Champions fight for her?

Certainly subscribing though
    0073989M02
    Quote Originally Posted by Eulenspiegel View Post
    ...Mine is over 6" and doesn´t even have a Deffrolla...
    Goruax's Log of the Storm Angels

Why thank you

I am likely going to use the Bretonnian Damsel with Staff for my fae in her fair form, whilst using a converted archaon (headswap, de-spiked and different paintjob than normal) for her war-form, so gonna use both a Chaos Lord and a Sorceror Lord to represent her depending on the game. I will also use lesser fae to represent the humble Sorcerors of the army. I will strive to make some Champion models as well though, I love the thought of Call to Glory with dual Steed of Shadows.

On a general note, do people feel there should be more shields in the tree?

ah it reminds me of the avalon theme from Alkemy.

Yes, more shields kompis.

mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

Oooo fallen knights taken by the Fae of the forrest... lovely stuff.

Can't wait to see them painted!

sj

Hrmm... more shields is a possibillity then.

Should I perhaps add rows and clusters of lit candles as well perhaps? Some on roots, others on the branches etc?

neat idea, and take on the WoC. the only problem being that the models might be fragile because of the dryad bits on them.
    yes to more shields, and candles on the shrine. i would suggest the bit from the empire wizards box if you have access to it. i think it is a skull with candels on it. i think more candels would look amazing.

although it might not look right, i would definatly suggest you use a wood elf treesinger as your lord/hero sorcs. especially the one floating in the air with a crucifix type pose. i think they have the aesthetics of what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djekar View Post
    O beneficent one, I bask in the glory of your knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    If you say that all norwegians have to pay an additional tax, then you have not specified that I need to pay it, despite me being a norwegian.

Good call, thought about her, but I think she is a wee bit masculine, I am zoning in on using the Bretonnian Damsel wiht Staff with a few tweaks to her (some briar roses coming from beneath her robe etc), and the models are remarkably strong despite the dryad bits.

Ok, I'm bored so I'll go do some touchups on the greenstuff work on the knights where needed, then I'll go out to prime them I reckon, the bases still aren't done because I need white glue... but that doesn't mean I can't paint the knights does it?

I am currently thinking on how to paint them, and I think I've decided on doing different colours for each of them, and I have decided to go with matte, rather realistic shaded colours. No deep dark and rich reds or blues etc. but rather a relatively light blue with a matte finish, Blood Red, yellow, yellowed white, some black and possibly some green if I need to.

I will likely do one each of the following:

Red cloth, weaponshield/coat of arms (depending on where you are in the world, this has different names) yellow (a warm yellow to fit with the red) with black trim and a black symbol.

Red and blue cloth, relatively 50/50 split, same colours for coat of arms, black or white symbol

Blue cloth, red coat of arms

Blue cloth with some yellow, the coat of arms done in red or green

Yellow cloth with red coat of arms

Yellow with some green, red coat of arms

Any other suggestions for colour combinations would be welcome, I'm thinking of a colour where the red is primary and then there are some yellowish-white chequers as well.

Other suggestions?

are you planning on painting them different colors like bretonnians? i would suggest against this, because it looks kinda ugly. my bretonnians are a uniform color, and they look amazing. i primed them black, and they have silver/shining gold accents. regal blue, black and white are the heraldry colors.

i painted a unit of 8 with the whole "different colors" thing and they looked horrible together.

at any rate when i look at your models, i see a whole unearthly green knight type of feel. maybe make them look kinda undeadish since they are possessed right? it kinda screams "red/black/white/shining gold" with some washes to me. i wonder how scab red, with some red wash would look over it. i dont know, im just brainstorming. alternatively maybe you could do a green/yellow/brown pallette for a green knight/forest feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djekar View Post
    O beneficent one, I bask in the glory of your knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    If you say that all norwegians have to pay an additional tax, then you have not specified that I need to pay it, despite me being a norwegian.

Well, the colour choises would basically all go together, I wouldn't really have one blue knight with his colours, one red, one yellow etc. all with completely different colours and nothing to tie them together, that does look horrible, I agree on that.

Off-white is a good thought, could go into more than merely chequers, I think I'll leave Black off of them.

I think I'll paint them all in the same armour colour, I had a few thought on whether or not to make them in different tints of armour as well, but I think I've decided against this now.

I still think that the colours can work together though, Terrainguy managed to tie his unit together nicely, he could use the briars, I hope to use the wooden branches. Ghod linked the army earlier, the warriors should be on page 3

Looking good. I really love the theme you've got going here and it suits the warhammer world perfectly IMO.
    Plog of Jericho - Wood Elves, Daemons, Beastmen, CSM and Whatnot.

MD: You got a christmas gift?
    House: Yeah, 'cause I worship Santa. Or wait, is that Satan? I always get them mixed up.

Banned

Very interesting theme! Paint them!

Banned

cant wait to see the maruaders + sorceress lord.

Wow looking good man!

And the Briar Thorns army is insane. I had seen some of the army lists and whatnot, but not the painted figs. They put me to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Necr0n View Post
    So can Allies Of Convinience score?
    Only if dinner and the movie were both of a high quality...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast