Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why is your army the most fun?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why is your army the most fun?

This is it, the thread that forces us to examine our army choices and ask ourselves "why did I go with that army?" This can be anything from fluff to playstyle, so let your mind run amok. Note: this is not to argue about whose army is better, but to simply state the reasons. Let's not have a flame war. Thanks .I'll start.

WoC are the best because they eat your souls and have great models. They have many ways to get into combat, and when they do, you'll be sorry.
    Looks like you lost this game in the "purchase models" phase.
    Why is it always the innocents who suffer most, when you high lords play your game of thrones?

Re: Why is your army the most fun?

Vampire Counts, just how many zombies can I raise by games end...lets find out...

Scout

Dwarfs - Watching someones face when you tell them that everything in the army is T4, WS4, and Ld9 is priceless.
    Also dropping/shooting flaming rocks/bolts/cannonballs on treeman just
    seems funny.

Skaven - The sheer fact that I can judge how well I am doing by how many of my own models Ive killed. Nothing is better than splitting the dead models into piles of 'enemy-killed' and 'self-killed' to make an opponent feel bad.
    Plus having the chance to panic your entire line because you thought 'my
    shooting/magic will hurt him more than it will me'. Sheer greatness.

Someone picked High elves before me so I went Lizardmen.
    (In our area we are just starting to get into warhammer)
    Asalam alakum(A-Salam-A-lak-um) means Peace be upon you (Y)
    Orks is to Tyranids as California is to the Gold rush.
    Times I've been called Slingerslam instead of slingersam: 4

Night Gobbos - The shear amount of chaos that can be let loose on the board at any one time is just nuts. Fanatics are flying everywhere, units are running, squigs bouncing, pump wagons zooming, netters netting whatever's handy. Whoever wins, the game is just hilarious.

Daemons - I can have an absolutely fluffy list, and know that it will still be competitive to some degree. 4 different heralds on foot? Daemon prince? Subpar by contrast to things like the bloodthirster, but still effective. Good for the hobbyist that builds what they like, but would still like to go to a tourney to show it all off.
    Last edited by Vestigialante; 12-03-2009 at 01:58.

It took a long time for me to be convinced to get into this (7 years, to be exact), and even when I decided to give it a try, I wasn´t sure if I would like the game. I only knew of Orcs & Goblins and Tomb Kings back then, cuz my bud is playing them. Then we went to a store, and he presented me all the army books. The only one I found interesting from the beginning was Lizardmen, because I have a soft spot for reptiles of any kind. I even had a chameleon back then. I decided to buy the Army Book and read it thoroughly before doing anything else. Eventually, the Lizzies won me over. Why? The style. Just look at them. They´re adorable. They combine every possible trait in one package. They´re omniscient (Slann) and stupid (Krox). They´re big and small. They´re strong and weak. They are fast and slow. They´re calm and ferocious. They have an ancient culture yet are savage. They have high-tech equipment yet are prehistoric. They´re the good guys (when fighting Chaos) and the bad guys (when they kill you because the Slann decided you built your house on the wrong side of a river). They offer you anything you could possibly want. Plus, the models are... *deep, echoing voice* amazing...

Oh, and on a sidenote, I also play VC just because I love vampire movies, zombies, and undead in general. That´s all about it.

Beastmen because when you bust out khorngors with a shaggoth khorne lord, bsb, and wargor, you unleash lots of S6-7 attacks and your opponents cry in pain!

Orcs are the most fun because they're unpredictable! All night gobbo armies are amazing because with all of those fanatics running on the board, your opponent will be like WTF?

i don't have an army at such but almost anything related to nurgle always takes my heart.

The idea of a omniscient being showing affection by giving his fllowers gifts in the forms of boils plagues etc is an amazing concept.

Also after reading liber chaotica, the description of the birth of GUO's was very well written, being born from the boils of nurgle himself and feeding off his oozing sores like plagued children. It's the whole greater parent theme that really attarcts me. and every creatures that will die has connection with nurgle for they too will decay.

He's unlike the other chaos gods, (less spiky whwhere the other wish to tiwst, destroy or perverse natural order, Nurgle simply wishes to bring decayand plague, to me he seems to be less evil than the others, he's more like naive child yet caring for those who follow him.

In addition the description of beasts of Nurgle being overly excited daemon dogs is great, where like him they do not truly intend to harm other out of free will, but only because it is in their nature to do so(the plague, slime and other nasties).

Well, I was torn between Lizard men and Ogres. So I flipped a coin and ogres came up.

An hour before I went to go buy my battallion, I saw some wood elf dryads, and fell in love. Now I'm woodies all the way. :P

I will agree with Kronos that Nurgle is amazing in that Papa is a cross between Santa Claus and Typhoid Mary.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberspite View Post
    Only when they release a Cate Blanchett model
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    You mean besides Galadriel?

O&G is best because I have 9 Lord options, 9 Hero Options, 8 (10 if you count big'uns) Core choices, 9 Special choices (10 if you count ruglud's, and 12 if you count big'uns), 4 rare choices, a wide array of ways to arm about half the choices. You could play a hundred games and bring a hundred very different lists each time- the variety is endless. You can build a gunline, horde, elite infantry (kind of), goblin mob, all mounted, chariot horde, fanatic heavy, MSU, giant blocks... none of it works all that well but it's so much fun who cares

Well I always thought that the Druchii mirrored me greatly(Morally "obscure" and tragically flawed...) but honestly I love their playstyle.

With an army of T3 armour-less mortals it's a case of how quickly can I cut the enemies heart right out from under them.
    Surprisingly swiftly it seems, much to my satisfaction.

I guess the models being as good as they are helps too, when it comes to Dark Elves I think GW have it nailed imagery wise.

Maybe being a Tolkien fan had something to do with it, I always liked the notion of Elves, but who would want to play with the "We can't lose because we are the good guys..." High Elves? Or the "You didn't talk to us for a while so we went crazy and began talking to the trees..." Woodsies?

Not I! Viva la Druchii!
    Starcarft 2 ID//Draconian
    Character Code//521
    Always up for a game!

We are the Sons of Ulthuan, Lords of The Seas, The Dragontamers and Masters of Magic.

We are the soldiers of the Light, bastion against darkness, standard bearers against the forces of chaos and creators of the vortex that saved the world many an age ago.

In our hearts lies the courage of Anaerion of Old and in our arms the strength of his mighty dragon.

We are the Asur,
    The Children of Isha,
    The True Elves.

Ulthuan will never fall.
    Prince Anathir Uthwe Sethalion, The StarWeaver and Lord of Tor-Gil Estel

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anathir View Post
    We are the; "We can't lose because we are the good guys..." High Elves?
    Fixed it for you.

Get off our island...

Last edited by Draconian77; 12-03-2009 at 05:34.
    Starcarft 2 ID//Draconian
    Character Code//521
    Always up for a game!

I like playing dwarves for thier resilience in combat. My normal dwarf unit has stood up to chaos knights that were frenzied. I like the idea of a shield wall and how hard it is to kill normal warriors.

I want to play O&G for the challenge and I love the fluff between dwarves and orcs. But i told myself I won't start playing again until i have a fully painted army. Painting 100 dwarves is easier then painting 300 or 200 orcs imo.

Banned

guard operate like real soldiers. that's why I like them. there are so many options. i can use any type of guard to make tactical advisers for my command squad. guard allows us to use ogryns for close combat, ratlings for long range, regulars for mid range, heavy weapons and armor for heavy support. so many options. And they are real humans which is relatable.

I picked skaven for a variety of reasons:

-I couldn't make a feasible rat deck in MTG, ink eyes was too expensive mana wise.
    -I wanted elements of steam punk.
    -A friend had already picked up vampire counts.
    -Metal deamonettes were too expensive.
    -They were similar to 40k orks, which is reason enough to consider them the coolest fantasy army.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTwentythree View Post
    Yes, you're absolutely right. It's the ignorant, brainwashed masses who haven't realized the dire consequences of the 4+ ward save on weapons teams. You are like the lone upholder of the truth, a beacon of light, carrying the message of how that ward save will fend off 28 bow shots, ruining everybody's games and destroying the fun of warhammer for one and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward. View Post
    -They were similar to 40k orks, which is reason enough to consider them the coolest fantasy army.
    I always considered them more like Tyrannids (or vice versa). Hordes of genetically engineered weapons designed to maim and kill. Orks are Orcs, no matter where they end up, the only difference is the toys.

I'm doing Tau because I love anime, I love shoot and scoot, and they seem so Clone Armyish. For Fantasy, I still haven't decided and have to wait till the Tau quit raiding my treasury be for I can seriously start.

They're Skaven. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by squeekenator View Post
    They're Skaven. 'Nuff said.
    Couldn't be more true!
    We Have Come For You

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast