Inspired by another discussion about ‘special’ characters…

There’s a couple of different ways to do characters.

Customizable – X type, Y options. Your standard guy. May have special rules and/or army-altering abilities as well (Z as troops, etc.)

Fixed – here’s what they have, take it or leave it. May have special rules and/or army-altering abilities as well (Z as troops, etc.)

I personally generally prefer the first type, but I’m OK with fixed as well (which is how most named characters are built). I’m OK with the named guys having some extra stats, unique gear, special rules and so on. It gives you a reason to take them and gives a litte extra variety.

What I don’t like, are two types of special characters.

One, the guys who are very similar in price to a customizable character built as close as possible AND have lots of extra stuff as well. The ones who when you get done deciding on how you want your HQ to be loaded out say, “Or…I could take Bob Dragonslayer for 5pts more and get XYZ.” IMO special characters should be costed by building them as close as possible with the standard HQ customizable options and then trying to appropriately cost any extra abilities.

Two, the fixed guys that alter the whole army/FOC in ways that are unavailable to regular characters. The ones you have to take in order to play a particular type of army, like the DW/RW characters, Wazdakka, etc. Personally I feel that if that kind of army-changing ability is to exist, it should exist with a generic character as well (with appropriate costs/restrictions as needed).

What do you folks like/dislike in characters?