Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you let this slide?

Would you let this slide?

I was playing a 2k match vs a wood elf dark elf alliance today.

I normally don't mind unpainted armies or one or two proxies, but was slightly cheesed off today. I didn't say anything but was annoyed, how would you react to:

A single warrior acting as a bolt thrower + crew.
    10 gladeguard being used as waywatchers, as well as 10 normal gladeguard scouting (confusing?).
    A dark elf assassin being used as war dancer highborn, as well as another assassin being used as shadowblade (confusing?).
    A 40k chaos tzeentch sorcerer as a dark elf soceress.
    Glade riders being used as wild riders (not so bad).
    A dark elf cold one knight, not on cold one, being used as another dark elf sorceress.
    15 Eternal guard being used as wardancers.
    Everything unpainted, unprimed and unbased.

Would you grin and bear it like I did as you try to remember what's where, or get cheesed off as your army is fully painted, based, and a proper list?

(P.s. I won )

Moose.
    Skaven: The Council's Plague - 9100 pts Tomb Kings: King Phar's Last Stand - 4500 pts
    Daemons of Chaos: The Court of Slaanesh - 3000 pts Brettonia: Fort Wakefield - 2500pts
    Tyranid Hive Fleet:Velox Letum - 2500 pts Eldar: Ulthwe Reserve Fleet - 3000 pts
    Space Marines: Golden Angels - 2000 pts Dark Eldar: Wrathchild Raiders - 2500 pts
    AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS: Imperial Navy - 250pts SPACE HULK

Ealing, London, Next door to only joking! (unfortunately)

Re: Would you let this slide?

I would just say, NO, I am not playing this collaboration of armies, (I'm not surprised you won, how old were these people? 12?)
    Visit my shared 40K project log here : http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211864
    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    My name is Gr'tl'wqphnbdr, and I have come to your village today to allow you the honour to be eaten by me, but you can call me Gary.
    Quote Originally Posted by forthegloryofkazadekrund View Post
    With my Night Goblin army at 2,000 i normally have a great shaman and 3 mini Shaman, Squigs, Fanatics, huge blocks of infantry with nets and Bob the Giant

sounds like the good old times for me... i used to do that when i startet
    but i wouldnt do that anymore (wel 1 unit mabe)
    grats on your fictory

Unless these people were on the breadline or something i would be pretty pissed, it just shows a lack of effort and respect for the other gamer.

If your opponent told you what was what before you started, and was open and honest about what was what during play (I think using the same models to represent multiple different units could be rather confusing unless their owner made a real effort to keep it clear), then there's no probs.
    There could be a lot of reasons for proxying like this, even for multiple games. But, really, what was wrong? The game still plays the same, the army functions just lie any other WE army. As long you are both having a good time and following the rules (be they from the BRB or ones you have made up yourselves for a special scenario) does it really matter what anyone is pushing around the tabletop?
    I feel that this game only functions as well as the people playing it. The most beautiful army can be a chore to play if the general is an ****. My $46.89

GFP

i dont mind a few proxies, or counts as crap, but this is just to much even for me.
    if its a friendly game, i'd complain a bit. mock him/her a bit, and then continue to try and win, er.. i mean have fun

but request things get counters or such so i can actualy remember whats what.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    “Sticks n’ stones'll break my bones, but Gork and Mork'll smash yer 'ead to bits if you don't sod off!”
    Also i''d like to mention Green is Best! (Tho red ones do go faster )
    Warriors of Chaos: W:2, D0, L0.
    Greenskins: Pre7th About 63:W ,D:3, L:3. Under7th, W:12, D:0, L:0. (Free goblins?)

id give them the one chance, next time I played them Id be saying 'i want at least one of these units properly represented or at least painted.
    Please sponsor me for the UK forum all stars weekend, just giving page below

http://www.justgiving.com/Forumallstars-ted

(its safe and secure! I dont see your details!)

I wouldn't have played them, but only because of the allied army thing.

I have no problem with people playing with what ever models they have. All that matters to me is base size. If the bases are there (or if the few things off are in a unit so it doesn't matter, or are warmachines or whatnot) than its fine. I've never understood how its disrespectful to someone to want to use proxies for a game. It's like asking a chess player to hand craft a chess set or else they're not trying hard enough.

Warhammer is a game. There is a hobby around it, but at it's heart, its just a game like any other. People can and should be able to play that hobby without devoting time to the hobby as a whole, just like I should be able to play a game of touch football with out having to train, and work out and follow all the in's and out's of the game. Wanting to play the game without wanting to devote my time to the hobby should be a hobby, and I find it snobbish to call such an attitude disrespectful.

i use the rule that counts as is fine providing its not overly complicated, that lsit however is very complicated to remember. i would probably not have played the gamer, however if its a friend jsut checking weather they like an army then might be alright.
    Plus, who wouldn't be afraid of a 7ft mound of muscle with tusks and a propencity for extreme violence, even if their weapons don't work? An Ork in just it's boxer shorts would make most Imperial Guardsmen wet themselves...

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Proxying things on totally the wrong size base, or no base....just isnt on.
    It upsets how the game is played.

One time my opponent decided to turn up with a heap of proxies that were as terrible as the above. I then told him he wasnt going to be using those models and went and had a look through all the models I owned for better proxies and made him use those.
    This was at my house but I'de of done the same at a store.

I've seen worse armies used than the OP posted in 40k games.
    Had I a 40k army I'de of demmanded that he not use any incomplete models and WYSIWYG would be how we would be playing. Models missing equiptment bought as upgrades would not be allowed those upgrades.
    Paper, a pen and a calculator would have then been provided by me to allow him to quickly create his list as best he can.

The game is a game, and a hobby and the two can be pretty seperate entities.
    But a line has to be drawn somewhere.
    I'm not going to refuse a game, they made the effort to at least turn up.

I wont say "you cannot use that" so flatly though, it'll be more along the lines of "oh come on, thats a rediculous proxy and you know it, at least use something resembling the correct model! I will help."
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

A single warrior acting as a bolt thrower + crew.HELL NO!
    10 gladeguard being used as waywatchers, as well as 10 normal gladeguard scouting (confusing?).One or the other, not both.
    A dark elf assassin being used as war dancer highborn, as well as another assassin being used as shadowblade (confusing?).I would not have too much or a problem with this.
    A 40k chaos tzeentch sorcerer as a dark elf soceress.This is pushing it
    Glade riders being used as wild riders (not so bad).I would prefer they be converted at least.
    A dark elf cold one knight, not on cold one, being used as another dark elf sorceress.Pushing it one again
    15 Eternal guard being used as wardancers.NO
    Not that big a deal for me.

Personally, after a few minutes of that game, I would probably concede, and scoop my models out of sheer frustration!

I may proxy a SIMILAR model here or there, but what he/they did is a bit ridiculous.

Counts as is ok in certain situations, and especially for beginners. But that is just ridiculous, and no, I would not play against it.
    ‘Those who affect masks, and steal their way through shadows, and take the names of others as their own, are more deadly than any blooded warriors.’ – Gallan, On Espiel

Not a problem for me. I don't actually care about the model representation, and I ain't a painter none of my armys are painted so I don't insist on it for anyone else. As long as he/she/it/they don't more than the regulation charecters I don't mind about the team up. However if it was a dwarf army I'd have a problem, this is because of the extra dispell dice which when backed up with the other armies wizards makes for a frustrating game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    [i] Necrons can never be Ultramarines, nevertheless they will aspire to the standards and teachings of the great Primarch

I really need to know more before i can make a judgement.

How old/wealthy/polite were your opponents?

How long had they been in the hobby?

I assume this was a pick up game, correct?

Were they looking for a game or did they play with whatever they had at hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakiq View Post
    The dice gods are lactose intolerant, beware of their wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ3 View Post
    "I once saw a Great Unclean One kill Jesus!"

i wouldnt play a random guy, but a friend proxing a army he intends to buy sure, or even just to change it up.

its a crap exonomy, people cant affod the million pounds worth fo GW gear to play anymore.
    "He who studies evil, is in return, studied by evil"

I would ask for small stand up cardboard name tags in front of everything to keep it all straight, other than that... well, I would get annoyed after a few games.

That is way too much, and too confusing, with not even an attempt to base/number the models correctly.

I can see proxiing back ranks, or 1 or 2 units of similar models, or 1 or 2 war machines with an approprieate base and crew, but that is just way too much and way too hard to track things.

Especially in 2 armies!

Chapter Master

I suppose if he really wanted to try it out and had a notecard next to everything saying what it was I wouldnt mind...but that is a bit of a streatch
    Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    I wonder if for some gamers RAW could mean Read As Wanted...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Frost View Post
    Fantasy armour works fine. A bloke with a pointy stick wearing his pyjamas SHOULD have problems taking down a tank riding a horse, dressed as a tank, bearing down on him at great speed and carrying an even longer stick.

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I was playing a 2k match vs a wood elf dark elf alliance today.

I normally don't mind unpainted armies or one or two proxies, but was slightly cheesed off today. I didn't say anything but was annoyed, how would you react to:

A single warrior acting as a bolt thrower + crew.
    10 gladeguard being used as waywatchers, as well as 10 normal gladeguard scouting (confusing?).
    A dark elf assassin being used as war dancer highborn, as well as another assassin being used as shadowblade (confusing?).
    A 40k chaos tzeentch sorcerer as a dark elf soceress.
    Glade riders being used as wild riders (not so bad).
    A dark elf cold one knight, not on cold one, being used as another dark elf sorceress.
    15 Eternal guard being used as wardancers.

Would you grin and bear it like I did as you try to remember what's where, or get cheesed off as your army is fully painted, based, and a proper list?

(P.s. I won )

Moose.
    Edpends: if he's a new player proxying to try out troops, I would, no problem. If it's just a lazy ass who's done it for years, no, probably not.

In a tavern or any place serving a strong ale.

I still end up proxying for half of my games if I'm trying new armies. Though I generally try to keep it as uniform as possible for the oponent to avoid confusion. Because I'm such an offender I generally don't mind but that's just plain confusing.
    And I'm a sceptic. Scepticism, Scepticism, Scepticism.

I'm the stuff nightmares are made of... actually I'm the stuff that nightmares wake up screaming about.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast