Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Space Wolf Successors and Variant Paint Schemes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Space Wolf Successors and Variant Paint Schemes

Space Wolves are kinda grey...they're pretty well known for it. Okay they even have a shade of grey named after them. Possibly two.

Which set me to wondering if my favourite enemies are going to be getting any variant paint schemes.

Might a Wolf Lord decide that he doesn't want his band of merry men to be wearing grey?

Would he be allowed to have his company wear white armour like the ice blue glaciers of Fenris? Or deep, dark red like the blood of the Kraken? Why not jet black to show off those striking yellow markings?

Has anybody painted their SW figures in different colours?

IIRC the Wolf Brothers (?) were the only successors to the Space Wolves but is there a chance that GW will retconn in some previously unknown descendants?

I suppose they might go for the 'Counts as' style of things e.g. if you want to field Star Leopards then you simply use the SW rules with your own distinct scheme.

Re: Space Wolf Successors and Variant Paint Schemes

Its in the fluff that over time some wolf lords have 'left the fold' so to speak and taken their great company with them.

There isnt much written about them other than that another wolf lord is appointed and a new great company is raised.

Its a bit like the '13th' company - they came back with 'variant' armour colours - so theres nothing to stop you painting up a space wolf army to represent one of those 'lost' great companies in what ever colour you so wish.

But do them in pink - and I will come round to your house personally to explain exactly why thats a bad idea.

What would Logan Grimnar say??
    Grey not good enough for you??
    Are they really Space Wolves if they are not Grey??
    I'm Brettonian! Why else do you think I have this outrageous accent you silly king?!

Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf_sven View Post
    What would Logan Grimnar say??
    Grey not good enough for you??
    Are they really Space Wolves if they are not Grey??
    It just seems a bit...dull...

"Hi, we're breakneck, devilmaycare Space Viking Metalheads who set fire to Dark Angel's robes when they aren't looking. Sissie dresswearing weirdos. But we all like to wear grey. Just grey. Okay, maybe a bit of yellow but it must be Imperial Colour Chart 3586/YW, because hey, weren't not sheep."

I was fooling around with some spare minis trying to come up with a scheme that gives a nod to the SWG but puts a bit more interest into the figures. e.g. bisected with either white or black down one side.

(I'm hoping to get my mates intrested in playing SH. One of them is a SW player but doesnt' get time to paint so I figure I could paint the Termies in SW colours.)

Then I got to wondering if anybody has done any significantly different schemes. Just seems odd that SW's of all people stick so rigidly to the same paint scheme.
    Last edited by Souleater; 12-05-2009 at 14:50.

Veteran Sergeant

id say the 13th had the old legion colors and over time the color changed to the 41st blue grey

lost companys might in therory scavange kit just like the 13th did

i wanted to make a space wolf army with another color myself, so i've written a story about three great companies who got sepereted from the Chapter for more than 1k years and had to recruit to protect themselfs and the area they were stuk in.
    When they returned they were to many to get integrated in the Chapter and so had to form their own chapter.
    I think if you make the fluff like this its possible to opaint your wolves any way you want

What do you mean "too many"? There could easily be 7-8000 space wolves on Fenris and it's known that there's room in the Fang for at least 10K.
    The Space Wolves have been running the longest tax-dodge in imperial history (even longer than the black templars) pretty much since Robert Gullible told himself he was boss and believed it.
    Between the fact that they won't sit still for an audit and that they keep changing their insignia, no-one outside the legion has any real idea how many there are and I'm pretty sure Logan and all his predecessors have gone to some lengths to ensure that this knowledge remains secret.
    "Three months? I'm going to go crazy …and I'm taking you with me!"
    — Vala Mal Doran

Chapter Master Marshal2Crusaders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rose View Post
    What do you mean "too many"? There could easily be 7-8000 space wolves on Fenris and it's known that there's room in the Fang for at least 10K.
    The Space Wolves have been running the longest tax-dodge in imperial history (even longer than the black templars) pretty much since Robert Gullible told himself he was boss and believed it.
    Between the fact that they won't sit still for an audit and that they keep changing their insignia, no-one outside the legion has any real idea how many there are and I'm pretty sure Logan and all his predecessors have gone to some lengths to ensure that this knowledge remains secret.
    Negative, the Templars are just as old as the Wolves. All Second Foundings are just as old as the First Foundings, because they were made from them. The title Templars even dates back to the Heresy as it was Dorn's Bodyguard/Sigismund's Company.

Also, the Space wolves arn't allowed anymore successors after the first one died off. Also, some companies do go rogue. But not many.
    To the darkness I bring fire. To the ignorant I bring faith. Those who welcome these gifts may live, but I will visit naught but death and eternal damnation on those who refuse them.
    Chaplain Grimaldus, Hero of Helsreach
    The Ammobunker
    Black Templars Resource

Also, It's definitely still the longest because the Templars at least started at regulation size for a Chapter, or thereabouts. Plus it's unclear whether they intended to balloon into a huge fleet army from the start, or if some accountancy-servitor screwed up and they just ran with it.
    "Three months? I'm going to go crazy …and I'm taking you with me!"
    — Vala Mal Doran

Ive seen a kilt wein bunch of sw and Ive seen other colors as well, its up to the individual so go for what you want and who cares what others think its your army.

Bit like asking can a BA choose not have red Armour really isnt it? well they could, but then they really wouldnt be a BA would they?

Just becuase YOU dont like SW colours, really doesnt make it a valid option to paint em green with blue spots ( or what ever else floats your boat), if you dislike the colour but enjoy the 'flavour' then paint your own Chapter.
    Wanted: MK6 SM Legs (legs with no Knee Pads) and MKV studded Shoulder Pads. PM Me please.....
    Quote Originally Posted by marv335 View Post
    I went to Australia last year with work.
    The Immigration officer asked me if I had a criminal record.
    I didn't realise I still needed one.
    would like C+C on my homebrew chapter the The Wolves of Dorn - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200505

Chapter Master

Spacewolves are... grey?

On a more serious note, Spacewolves haven't looked grey to me since waaaay back in the days of the Rogue Trader book. I remember seeing Spacewolf Grey for the first time, and wondering why the paint was a pale blue (not even blue-grey - no grey in it at all!). Spacewolves that actually had a grey color scheme would be a definite change...

Chapter Master genestealer_baldric's Avatar

hey you can paint your shoulder pad however you like so go wild but the rest stays grey
    Tyranids R.I.P:cries:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asgul View Post
    I think I shot the easter bunny last year, but he got back up I think he has the FNP special rule

Well, my mate and I go way to back to the beginning of Rogue Trader so to me Space Wolves are grey. None of this namby-pampy wolf-pup blue grey rubbish.

And Dark Angels are black. mutter.
    Last edited by Souleater; 13-05-2009 at 12:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Souleater View Post
    Well, my mate and I go way to back to the beginning of Rogue Trader so to me Space Wolves are grey. None of this namby-pampy wolf-pup blue grey rubbish.

And Dark Angels are black. mutter.
    And the Ultra Smurfs are 2nd founding?

Citadel Colour Space Wolf Grey FTW. I still have a few pots unopened and use SWG for highlighting.

Back OT: Even Strykar and his renegade Space Wolves wear variant colours of grey. I think it must be in their DNA.

D.
    Epic:Armageddon - What Apocalypse wants to be when it grows up

Thousand Sons Website - Epic and 40k - !!Now with added stuff!!
    Badab War - A gaming club project - Mantis Warriors W/D/L 4/0/1

This guy looks pretty much the same colour as Shadow Grey (the original Space Wolf base colour, from when it was called blue-grey).

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGPaul View Post
    This guy looks pretty much the same colour as Shadow Grey (the original Space Wolf base colour, from when it was called blue-grey).
    This is how all these intergalatic wars start you know.

"The holy armour colour is blue-grey!"
    "No, you fool, the holy armour is Grey-Blue!"

What follows is three hundred years of blood shed and untold lives lost. A thousand planets set aflame.

I hope you people are happy. Are you happy now?!!?!?!?

This is how all these intergalatic wars start you know.

"The holy armour colour is blue-grey!"
    "No, you fool, the holy armour is Grey-Blue!"

What follows is three hundred years of blood shed and untold lives lost. A thousand planets set aflame.
    Sigged for awesome and lulz.

Personally, I feel they're your minis, paint them however you want. If you can come up with a cool story behind it and keep the basic insignia, I'd be cool with different coloured Space Wolves. They're rebels anyway.
    "Any Cadian that can't field strip their lasgun by age twelve was born on the wrong planet."

Quote Originally Posted by w00tm0ng3r on Mordian drill
    It'd be useful on the parade field and for the marching band. Seriously, their marching band must be so hardcore, balls to the wall 1337sauce they make the custodes look like PDF. They can keep perfect step and dress their lines while getting shot at; imagine what they can do when they're not!

I'm pretty sure the Wolves let their own customise their armour colors...

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

The particular shade of grey is chosen by the World Lord, which is why even GW miniatures feature everything from the Blue-Grey (Blackmane's company) to the darker grey of Redmaw's Grand Company.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast