Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: are orks or Eldar aware of their old one connections?

Banned

are orks or Eldar aware of their old one connections?

Though in the background they mention their common origins, it doesn't seem like their current descendants are aware of it.

And in general, is it ever mentioned what Eldar think of Orkish technology? The admech may be perplexed and hypothesize on psycho-reactive weaponry, but the Eldar, being psychic warriors themselves, would probably be able to tell.

Also had a thought the other day, if some Eldar do know about their common origins, perhaps there's some secret of the Old Ones locked away in the ork's genes? They contain some amazing technology built with psychic engineering. Imagine the Eldar institute for the study of Gubbins and Bits, dissecting the brains and souls of mekboys, adding wraithbone bits to Shokk Attack Guns, cooking squigs, etc.

on a related note, can the psychics of other races act upon wraithbone? can soulstones hold xenos souls?
    Last edited by kikkoman; 12-05-2009 at 17:16.

Banned

Re: are orks or Eldar aware of their old one connections?

It seems doubtful that Orks know any history, considering their lifespan, general education methods and lifestyle.

The Eldar keep all their knowledge in the Black Library, so they probably know, but it's on a need to know basis.

And I would assume all psychic energy can influence wraithbone. Maybe you need special training to know what kind of 'pressure' to apply (if there is any difference) or how to direct it or anything, but I think it should be possible.
    Every soul can be trapped in a soulstone as long as the stone is psychically linked to the wearer. In farseer a rogue trader's soul gets into a soulstone.
    Ave applicator paintoris!

I paint some Horus Heresy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    The Eldar keep all their knowledge in the Black Library, so they probably know, but it's on a need to know basis.
    I thought that was only all info on chaos was kept there?

They could as they still remeber how the old ones taught them how to use the webway
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    How the hell did it die in there anyway? I doubt they have electricity out in the woods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norminator View Post
    Guy, they put him in the freezer after he was dead.... they didn't just go out one day and find him sitting on top of the frozen chicken

Banned

I think that the Black Library is the sum of Eldar knowledge, thus it does contain information on Chaos too

Black Library contains every bit of knowledge of Eldar about Chaos and thus every bit of knowledge known to mortals about Chaos.
    "For every battle honour a thousand heroes die alone, unsung and unremembered."
    -Proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by kultz View Post
    There is some sort of weird logical fallacy going on in this forum, where people use some sort of unreasonable emotional argument to justify abuse in the reverse direction.

One idea was/is Gork & Mork were 2 Old Ones (probably 2 scientists who came up with the idea of Orks in the first place) So they sort of know of them but not as The old Ones but rather their 2 Gods.

The Old One connection to the Eldar veries on what version of fluff/history on them you want to go with.
    The Eldar were created by the Old Ones
    The Eldar were freed/helped by the Old Ones from the Mon-Keigh
    The Eldar Gods were/are the Old Ones or took their place etc

Orks live in the moment and don't really think about the past, or the future. Once their brainboyz* disappeared they degenerated into a barbaric race.

*I do not think the brainboyz were old ones. Rather they were a leader caste, highly psychic and intelligent. The enslaver plague and daemonic infestations that occurred after the war in heaven slowly killed them off. In an attempt to give the other castes of their species the ability to survive they tried to incorporate parts of their own genome into them. Thus they thought that perhaps specific 'oddboyz' would spore that had an instinctive ability to lead. Unfortunately they were killed before this could be finished so the inbuilt ork knowledge was not complete. Instead of Leader oddboyz they got painboyz and mekboyz, and the biggest and strongest orks took control.**

**This is all made up by me, in case anyone was wondering. I'd rather orks were more interesting than just comical green alien punching bags.

The black library is of indeterminate age. As the old ones and eldar creation occurred at 5:45PM Thursday -60,000,000 years, there is no evidence that any of that knowledge survived. Certainly it is not necessarily true that the black library is that old. Which means in order for the knowledge to be kept for a time when the black library is formed, it would need to be known by eldar everywhere for millions of years.

The eldar do however have myths about the war in heaven, which is around the war between the C'tan and the Old Ones.

Hellebore
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Banned

The Orks carry their Black Library within them - tragically, none are librarians.

The Orks carry their Black Books within them - tragically, none can read.
    Corrected for you.
    "For every battle honour a thousand heroes die alone, unsung and unremembered."
    -Proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by kultz View Post
    There is some sort of weird logical fallacy going on in this forum, where people use some sort of unreasonable emotional argument to justify abuse in the reverse direction.

Ork's have made references to the Old Ones in the past.
    They called them Brainboyz (Page 7 current Ork codex).
    And they know they were smaller then the Orks, and much smarter.

So the Ork's know of their tie, but don't realize what the tie to the Old ones is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosen View Post
    Pick any codex, and make an army from it.
    Tell your opponent that your army is Alpha Legion in disguise.
    For added fun, tell him that his army is too.
    Craftworld Dras-Vaulshen, an exploration of the colour turquise

Banned

Problem is, we don't know who the Brainboyz are either.

i thought the brainboyz were snotlings who were supersmart then because of a special kind of mushrom which later got exstinguisched after an ork revolutio

could be that the ork-based old ones eventually degenerated into snotlings...

in which cast, we have official models of old ones!
    You know that you've been spending too much money on GW products when the number in "Warhammer 40,000" refers to the points total for one of your armies…

Alessander's Laser-cut Eldar Terrain thread - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210451

Laser-Cut Terrain and Game counters at http://www.silvercompassdesigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dhazzakull View Post
    i thought the brainboyz were snotlings who were supersmart then because of a special kind of mushrom which later got exstinguisched after an ork revolutio
    I mainly see it as a reference to much earlier fluff, but it is possible. With the Old Ones being a multitude of races it's possible that orks were created by what we now know as snotlings.

The old background was that the Snotlings created the Orks to harvest their fields and be used as general slave labor, the snotlings were powerful and smart due to their consumption of a type of mushroom. The Orks eventually began to consume the mushroom, became powerful, and overthrew the snotlings. Afterwords they degenerated into their current forms we know now.
    Of course, the entire nature of the orks has changed since then. The Orks were created durring the end of the War in Heaven, so I doubt they were the slaves of a hedonistic race. The Orks and Snotlings now grow from those mushrooms, also. The orks also "dumbed down" a bit in the meantime. Snotlings also take a role in the life cycle of a Waaagh! the same way as squigs, grots, or orks, so I doubt they engineered themselves into that cycle as the subservient race.

So, it's possible, but just about as possible as any other explanation at this point.
    Chaos Dwarfs Online!

Andy needs your help please order from Heresy Miniatures.

Madboyz remember, ok they not in the 'game' as such, but I like the old Madboyz and they still about for me, plus I like the idea of a Warboss watching a group of flower wearing Orks who decided one day that must tell all about this story before they forget and give the Warlord the full complete history of the Universe, just for the Warboss to through a shiny bauble and the Madboyz to go running.

The Eldar must know of ork origins. They still can't stand the green menace.

It does make more sense to me that Orks are Old One born. The Snottling mushroom theory just never had any legs to it. But then I used to like the idea that Squigs were what you got when Nids met Orks, if anyone could mess with the Nid eat everything then make new stuff, it should have been orks, and a load of Squigs randomly evolving in a hive fleet then eating it, just amused me.

Banned

Could this be an Old One?

Could this be an Old One?

Thank you, you made being awake at a silly hour on a saturday morning worthwhile

The Eldar were freed/helped by the Old Ones from the Mon-Keigh
    Eldar are much more ancient than humans, the Old Ones vanished long before humanity did anything of any use.

The various codices give a good bit of information, albeit vague.

The Eldar refer to Necrons as their ancient enemies. Since the Eldar were created for way against the Necrontyr, or Yngir, it seems logical that record remains, even after the fall. Whether or not Dark Eldar have such knowledge, or even care, is another question.

Orks, or Krork, live for now. They really don't care about the past.
    All is dust....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alessander View Post
    could be that the ork-based old ones eventually degenerated into snotlings...

in which cast, we have official models of old ones!
    The Necron Codex says to use WHFB Lizardmen models to represent degenerate Old Ones, all but outright stating the Old Ones were Slann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast