Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chaos & Tyranids?

Chapter Master

Chaos & Tyranids?

Assuming a Tyranid Hive fleet, or part of one attacked a planet ruled by one of the Chaos Powers, but that the hive fleet was defeated in space with only part of its ground forces deployed, do you think it would be viable given that the hive mind link was broken for the remaining gaunts and other non-synapse creatures to be tainted by chaos?

I am assuming that they would, unless killed in battle or whatever, survive in a similar manner to other apparently 'nid related creatures such as the Catachan Devil and that old Carniflex, what was his name, old one eye, or whatever.

Given that they had no link to the hive mind would a chaos sorcerer or pysker or even a daemon prince be able to bend them to the cause, creating things like plague biovores, or khornite gaunts and the like. Perhaps even a Soul Grinder with the body of a Hive Tyrant or something. (I assume even a Hive Tyrant cut off from the Hive Mind for any lenght of time would become suseptable.)

Re: Chaos & Tyranids?

Not really... they could possibly be possessed (not the Synapses - they ARE the Hive Mind, in total, but the Hive Mind is not weakened by their loss [The Hive MIND, not the Hive]), but not turned, as they would be only animals, not able to provide the intellectual engagement required for being turned to Chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoSkoll View Post
    I think a revelation of that magnitude requires a "DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!" to go with it.

I think thats a very good point, you dont seem to get demonic animals, and that is what a non-synapse tyranid creature is.

Chaos feed on emotions and wants, needs - a creature that has none of them has no chance of falling to chaos.

Chaos tyranids is an utterly mute point and should go the same way as 'chaos grey knights'

I'd say though Tyranids are soulless, they cannot be turned. It might be possible for Tzeentch zto somehow confuse som lesser hive creatures, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    I'd say though Tyranids are soulless, they cannot be turned. It might be possible for Tzeentch zto somehow confuse som lesser hive creatures, though.
    Well yes - but thats just saying that they can be affected by the physical manifestations of daemonic power - which isnt the same as them 'turning' to chaos.

There are Chaos hounds. I could see gaunts left behind being turned into something similar.
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.

Chaos Hounds are the physical representations our minds create for a certain type of daemon.

Not an animal turned to chaos.
    --Firaxin
    "Yes, but Republikhornes kill the people I don't like, while Demotzeentch policies change the contents of my wallet for the worse."
    -Shas'O_Ukos: "but thats because ur a super genius firaxin, cut the boy some slack"
    -Borg451: "What the **** are you on about?"
    -Son of Sanguinius: "You're an argumentative paragon to forum nerds everywhere."

WHFB chaos hounds are just mutated hounds, not sure about 40k though
    Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Many wise words from Mannimarco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariobarzanes View Post
    That Clown/herald of nurgle has some interesting ideas.....

all things can be corrupted by the taint of chaos. they don’t even have to be alive to be chaotic, so mere animals could easily be chaotic. I’m not so sure about possession, as their minds work differently to that of other creatures; but chaos could probably feed them false commands through their synapse network to make them do its bidding.

And then ofcourse there's the old khorne/genestealer cults:
    "Obedience Breeds Discipline, Discipline Breeds Unity, Unity Breeds Power, Power is Life"

Grey Knights: 6/2/1
    Night Lords: 0/23/14

Isn't the FW Spined Chaos Beast the result of warp exposure to non-sentient fauna? If so, "stranded" tyranids and tau would most likely end up a near mindless violent predator. Not like you'd notice a change in the tyranid's behavior.
    Black Legion W: 8 D: 2 L: 3

genestealer cults uset to be able to be upgraded to chaos genestealer cults back in RT.

also remeber some fluff about a nid ship beeing corrupted and turned to chaos.
    I used to post links to my Plogs, battle reports and other gubbins here, but now I have too many projects for the URL's to fit, so now I'll just bring you this message.

A tyranid hiveship was injected and turned with the obliterator virus.

Genestealers are self-aware/sentient, so they wouldn't apply to the animals thing. There have been instances in fluff (not just the rules) of chaos genestealers, like the Ragnar series.

However. Animals certainly feel fear, and rage, and lust. They don't have to be sentient; it's emotions that feed the dark gods.

Dunno if an animal can feel hope. That's a bit beyond them, I think. But khorne/nurgle/slaanesh would be fair game, I guess.

Plus I think there are instances of chaos-affected animals in the Gaunts Ghosts series.
    --Firaxin
    "Yes, but Republikhornes kill the people I don't like, while Demotzeentch policies change the contents of my wallet for the worse."
    -Shas'O_Ukos: "but thats because ur a super genius firaxin, cut the boy some slack"
    -Son of Sanguinius: "You're an argumentative paragon to forum nerds everywhere."

I don't know about in the Gaunt's Ghosts books. I could be wrong, but I don't remember anything that wasn't some kind of Warp-fueled construct, like the tank-lion and the Wire-Wolves.
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.

Wait, that was it. A wire-wolf. Nevermind.
    --Firaxin

Chapter Master

But here is the thing. Chaos needs you to make a choice to turn to them. You don't have to know that is the choice you are making or even know that you are making a choice at all. But you have to choose Chaos somewhere along the line. That's really the true horror of Chaos. All it's followers have at some point or another chosen to be that.

Tyranids, even stranded ones would never do that. They might fight as part of a Chaos warband if you can find some means to control them. They might be mutated into some half demonic creature or other horror but they will not be Chaos followers.

what if the Hive Mind turned to Chaos?

whoa. I just blew your mind.
    "Good honest hatred. Very refreshing."

Chapter Master

Why would it? It's at least as powerful as the Chaos gods and since it's a psychic entity that have an entire race slaved to it and effective immortality already what would it stand to gain?

And of course, it might not even be able to. It might just be so completely alien that they are incompatible. Chaos is very much a product of our Galaxy. The Nids are not.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Firaxin View Post
    Chaos Hounds are the physical representations our minds create for a certain type of daemon.

Not an animal turned to chaos.
    Not really, in WFB there are Chaos hounds and in IA:6 siege of Vraks part 2 there are Chaos hounds again, which are daemonic but just normal hounds corrupted by Chaos powers.
    Last edited by Talos; 28-05-2009 at 09:35.

Chaos corrupts none reasoning flora & fauna as much as reasoning ones, so I couldn't see any reason why if tyranids are stranded they wouldn't be altered/corrupted.

It's not like tyranids are immune to chaos influence any more than a cow is.
    The Relentless, Indomitable, Unwavering march of the Death Guard.

http://counttheseven.blogspot.com/

would you really notice if a tyranid turned chaotic? i mean, its not like a few extra tentacles would go amiss, and their already hyperviolent and attack anything they see; so whats the real difference?
    "Obedience Breeds Discipline, Discipline Breeds Unity, Unity Breeds Power, Power is Life"

Grey Knights: 6/2/1
    Night Lords: 0/23/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast