Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RC's Imperial Log: Ultrahawks, Legio Astorum and the Cadian 957th Brigade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RC's Imperial Log: Ultrahawks, Legio Astorum and the Cadian 957th Brigade

This log was originally started as an entry into the Tale of 40k Gamers '09-'10, but unfortunately thanks to a combination of just having bitten off more than I could chew and a move of house, I hadn't been able to make the kind of progress needed to keep up.

But even though I'm no-longer actively participating in the tale, I'm still making some slow progress here and there, and I'm always interested in feedback on what I do. So the objective is to clear a backlog of unpainted minis, which at the last count in Sept '09 was 5250ish points. So let's do a quick recap. My armies are:

The Legio Astorum
    Also known as the Warp Runners Titan Legion, and currently at a strength of two titans in my forces, Bellator Obscuris (Warrior of Darkness in the low gothic) an ancient and mighty reaver titan, and Viator Noctis (Messenger of Night), a cunning and deadly warhound. Though I haven't yet fully painted either of them yet, I haven't been able to resist fielding them a couple of times. Viator Noctis has never failed to distinguish itself, whilst Bellator Obscuris is literally undefeated. I really want to make progress on them, but being held up by a lack of airbrush compressor.

The Ultrahawks Chapter
    Currently consisting of a full 2nd company and 1/4 first company with minor armoured support. Their heraldry is ultramarines blue with a black left shoulderpad and right leg, reversed in terminators. Their symbol is the wing, similar to that of the Dark Angels. They are a 2nd founding chapter of the Ultramarines. The homeworld they chose during the 2nd founding was destroyed by the Archenemy in the continuing strife following the Emperor's ascension to the golden throne, and they've been a spaceborne chapter ever since. Melierax, a venerable and massive battlebarge from the dark age of technology has become the chapter's mobile fortress, and it is accompanied by the lesser battle barges Ventralis and Castanillius. The battle barge Collaris was lost with much of the 4th and 5th companies in M36 after it was caught alone by a Dark Eldar ambush, and since then the chapter has been reluctant to make itself vulnerable by dividing its forces, instead commiting the entire chapter to individual warzones.

Critics of this policy point out that this could lead to the annihilation of the chapter in a single disasterous engagement, and that many more Imperial worlds could benefit if the chapter engaged multiple threats simultaneously, but these concerns are mostly forgotten as the chapter acts as the mighty speartip of Imperial army groups, ripping the heart from enemy formations and crushing fortified positions that would otherwise take years to siege. Unlike other chapters, the Ultrahawks are not at all insular, and are happy to work closely with other Imperial organisations. Melierax is even volunteered as a frontline base, and is rarely without several regiments of Imperial Guard on board in addition to its marine complement.

The Cadian 957th Brigade
    The Cadian 957th Brigade is a formation made up of the Cadian 957th Light Mechanised Regiment, and supporting battalions from the Cadian 4th Armoured, and the 1082nd Artillery as well as smaller companies from other units.

This army is one I've been trying to get going for a while now. I've painted about 80 guardsmen, a Leman Russ and a Hellhound, and still don't have a usable 1000pt list! Basically I don't have enough heavy/specials done yet, whilst last year's codex has made me have to rethink my sergeants as well, and I just haven't got around to sorting it all out yet. Also, being a light mechanised regiment (where all the veterans and command squads are mechanised), you'd have thought I'd have a chimera somewhere. Also, not terribly impressed that my one Russ has had its turret rendered obsolete so quickly after being painted! I'll try and get a new one off a bits/sprue service once they become available.

The Cadian 957th Brigade is just one of the many hundreds of formations that have served aboard the Melierax in the 10,000 years since the Heresy, but they quickly found themselves absorbed into the unique culture of the chapter fortress. Though the 957th and other formations are but guests aboard the Ultrahawks' fortress and under the command of a Lord General, the Ultrahawks tendency to go where their guests are ordered has lead to an extremely close working relationship between the chapter and some of those units, the 957th in particular - they fight alongside the marines in close support, making good and securing the Ultrahawks advances, and it is almost entirely down to the support of 957th that the Ultrahawks have been saved from being surrounded and overwhelmed on many occasions - and in practice the Lord General tends to make Melierax his base anyway.

Because the Ultrahawks lack a homeworld, they recruit directly from the guard regiments they fight alongside. Though many other chapters would deem a mature guardsman too old to become an initiate, the Ultrahawks found that they had few other options, and the chapter apothecaries did eventually manage to get the success rate up to a level comparible to other chapters at the expense of several minor implants, and the guardsman must still be younger than 24 when selected.

To be inducted into the Ultrahawks in considered the greatest honour a member of the 957th can receive, and the brigade takes tremendous pride in fighting alongside their former members.

MOST RECENT PROGRESS

TO DO LIST:
    Space Marines:
    5 space marine commanders.
    5 veterans (4 vanguard, 1 sternguard)
    9 marines to redo (old command squad)
    1 Attack Bike
    4 Devastators with multimeltas.

(roughly 900pts)

Imperial Guard:
    10 guardsmen with vox.
    9 Sgts w chainsword + Laspistol (or other upgrades)
    1 Guardsman w Plasmagun
    1 Guardsman w Meltagun
    1 Guardsman w Flamer
    9 Specials as yet unbuilt
    3 Weapons Team w Heavy Bolter
    3 Weapons Team w Autocannon
    2 Weapons Team w Mortar
    1 Further Weapons Team as yet unbuilt
    1 Leman Russ
    1 Hellhound (Graia pattern)

1 Sentinel (Scout or Armoured)
    22 Rough Riders.
    (roughly 1150pts)

Imperial Navy Space Fleet:
    1 Lunar Cruiser
    3 Swords
    4 Starhawk Bomber Stands
    4 Fury Fighter Stands
    (roughly 300pts)

Imperial Navy Airforce:
    1 Lightning Fighter
    1 Marauder Destroyer Bomber
    (roughly 700pts)

Adeptus Mechanicus Legio Astorum Titan Legion:
    1 Warhound Titan Viator Noctis
    1 Reaver Titan Bellator Obscuri

(roughly 2200pts)

Orange means I'm working on it.
    Green means it's done.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 05-07-2010 at 12:08.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG
    Legio Astorum, Ultrahawks Chapter and the Cadian 957th Brigade

MOST RECENT PROJECT: Repurposing a squad of 4th ed HQ Veteran Marines
    WANTED: Attack Bike or Landspeeder Multimeltas. Please pm.

Re: RC's Tale of 40k Painters Log

Well a though plan you have there.

I wish you good luck with your self-imposed task. Curious for pics of the marauder at the moment. I wonder if two weeks isn´t just too little time. So surprise me please.

Good luck on the task, hope to see some pictures soon ^^

The Maruader Destroyer as of now.

The cockpit has already been painted. Pics later. I've still got a small amount of filling to do with greenstuff, then I'll prime the exterior. The colour scheme I have in mind is a forward-base/close-air-support scheme, green on top, sky grey underneath.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 01-08-2009 at 00:17.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

Just a great model.

Though to imagine your color scheme I have to see it. But in my fantasy/imagination a desert-ish color scheme for the top of the flyer looks awesome to.

I've spent about an hour today filling gaps with greenstuff. The Top Camo is going to be roughly the same shade as the interior, with perhaps a few other tones thrown in for good measure. The underside is going to be your standard sky grey.

Pic of the cockpit:

Next step is making the gunner look the same:

Sorry about the poor pics, camera phone. Will need to find my proper camera.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 01-08-2009 at 11:40.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

It looks like a promising start, good luck RC!
    Quote Originally Posted by The pestilent 1 View Post
    Makes sense.
    Two armies shooting the crap out of each other in Nottingham, pretty much a Saturday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Come now, Harry, what are the odds that someone on this forum would overreact to rumours?

subscribed, hope to see more stuff.

I've decided much the same myself with regards to not allowing myself to buy new stuff until some of the backlog is cleared, hence I'm not allowed to get/start on my chaos warhound until the converted stormblade and some other bits are done (should be doing an update on my log really rather than just posting in other peoples...).
    Nice to see the Marauder-of-many-magnets getting some more work done on it, I must say the cockpit is looking very good, the little bit of light effect from the candle flame is a great touch. Speaking of magnets, what size magnets did you use to hold your warhound together and what did you use to make the holes for them to fit into? As I'd like to magnetise mine and possibly the blastgun on my stormblade.

Hehe, someone who remembers my construction of the marauder. It has more than 100 magnets in it.

The Warhound used 15mm diameter x 2mm magnets, pairs in the waist (with pins to prevent rotation), in each hip (with pins), in the neck, and in the arm/weapon sockets.

I used a 15mm flat drill bit and a power drill to drill sockets for them.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 01-08-2009 at 17:54.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

Got the gunner painted up:

Now the interior's finished I can start spraying the exterior.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

I've got my work cut out to try and hit my friday deadline, I was away over the weekend. Anyway, I've sprayed the underside Space Wolves Gray, needs another coat to get a smooth finish, pics will be up after the touch up.

Next steps:
    #1. I'm then conflicted over whether or not to go for lighter/darker/both camo. Lighter would be Space wolves+Skull White, darker would be Space Wolves Grey+Shadow Grey.

#2. I'm also wondering about shading. I initially tried out a wash, but it looked far too messy by itself, and was pretty much wiped out by overspray when I had to touch up the paintwork. Doing it by regular painting would be incredibly time consuming on such a large model.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

I've now base-coated the underside to my satisfaction. I've decided not to go with any camo patterns on the underside, so I've shaded the recesses in one wing. It took ages, about as long as I expected it to take doing this by hand. Here's what it looks like so far:

Before I can move on to the top surfaces I have to finishing the shading, then apply one highlight. Then I'll do the top green camo in the same manner, and finally I'll paint in all the details.

I think it's pretty unlikely that I'm going to make my target of Fri 14th to finish this, but I'm going to try my hardest. C&C welcome.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 11-08-2009 at 13:34.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

Whoosh!

Was that the sound of a deadline rushing past? Oh dear. Anyway, I've now shaded the underside of all four wings, now doing the body. Then I'll line-highlight all the edges, then it's on to detail painting.

Really must get a move on.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 14-08-2009 at 18:04.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

This is the current state of progress:

The shading progresses slowly up the hull from the rear. I realise this is quite time consuming for very little excitement as far as updates are concerned. I'll try and keep the boring updates in this log rather than in the main Tale of 40k painters.

When the shading is done I'll try painting the engine exhausts like this:
    Last edited by RCgothic; 16-08-2009 at 22:17.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

Another update. Good grief but this shading is taking a while. I got bored and basecoated the engine nozzles. Still, shading is almost done.

RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

Ok, well this month's submission will be:

Half a Marauder Destroyer:

A small squadron of Swords:

A Lunar class cruiser:
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

I took some better photos of the IN ships:

RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

that marauder destroyer is looking really good!

keep it up!

did you have any problems with missing parts, bubbles, warpage?
    ~Cheers!

[WOTR] Dwarf Tactica

[Warhammer 40k] Imperial Navy Tactica

None at this stage. Some of the larger parts didn't fit particularly well, but green stuff saved the day. I appreciate the encouragement, I've been finding it difficult to keep motivated. I think my primary problem is that I'm not getting enough games in.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 13-10-2009 at 14:17.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast