Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Rules Questions

Re: Rules Questions

Rules wise, it may not be covered but being a permissive ruleset that means you can't do it. It also makes sense - you are taking advantage of the rules mechanic of activating one model at a time to do what you ask when in reality they should be acting at the same time, so killing said genestealer would have prevented him from attacking the power generator.

Onto the mission - there are so many other ways round, and this being one of the hardest missions to finish for the marines, you really should not need to. With all the turns, the marines will not have escaped very far, and instead of queueing up behind the attacking stealers, you should divert them south to slow them up. Constant attack from all angles is how the marines fail in this mission. Blindly going straight towards them will end up with the blockages you have encountered. Genestealers are cunning.

Fluffwise, I can imagine a scene like in Alien: Resurrection when the aliens kill one of their number to escape with it's acid blood, but even this would not be a reasonable explanation in space hulk when killing the genestealer in front would achieve nothing fluffwise except to show up the rules mechanics.
    My Warhammer painting log (High Elves, Vampires, Night Goblins, Skaven and Chaos Warriors: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...11#post4856611

My 40k painting log (Blood Angels, Orks, Tyranids and Eldar: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...11#post5214911

I see your point here, indeed all actions from one side are supposed to take place at the same time, though I don't think it does from the SM perspective. And since the heavy flamer is allowed to shoot a boardpiece where a space marines is standing, I was thinking a genestealer might be allowed to attack one of its own.
    As for mission XI, of course I sent my genestealers everywhere and didn't queued them up in a blocked corridor...but since I had 4 genestealers there doing nothing for 3 turns and the idea of attacking your own camp did came up in my mind, I wanted to ask here to see what other people thought.
    My fantasy log : A lot of green against a feeble mind
    Models painted 2011= 45 / 2012 = 62 / 2013 = 67 / 2014 = 48 / 2015 = 22

Quote Originally Posted by Blutrache
    I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

Regarding the flamer - as the marine may not target another, but he can be caught in the effects, this is probably meant to be unintentional friendly fire, but yes, moving someone out of a room and then flaming it does not apply the 'happens at the same time' theory either.

I think being able to kill your own stealers to get to the power generator quicker would also avoid the whole point the marines have them in the first place lol. Personally I'd prefer that they lasted a more random time rather than 12APs, which especially at a cross roads is easy to do in a single turn if attacked by more than one. But then I tend to view things from a realism point of view before game function.
    My Warhammer painting log (High Elves, Vampires, Night Goblins, Skaven and Chaos Warriors: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...11#post4856611

My 40k painting log (Blood Angels, Orks, Tyranids and Eldar: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...11#post5214911

I guess it's a matter of point of view here...

I've just tumbled on another "problem" re-reading the rulebook : page 15, close assaulting a door, the paragraph says that one of your dice must score a 6. If you stick to what is written, it means that a genestealer alpha must also score a 6 on one of its dice instead of adding the biggest and lowest score and determine its score it could be 6, 7 or more it doesn't destroy the door??)

How do you or would you play that rule?

I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

Hmm, interesting. I guess there are two options. One is that you ignore the dice part and simply need a score of 6 (or higher) and assume his mighty blow is due to strength which would have more effect on a door anyway. I don't have my rulebook here, but doesn't the mighty strike rule help out here with regards to score on dice or simply combat score?
    The other option is that his mighty strike represents his combat ability, to get a good hit in, and so is not any stronger, so no better against doors, but better in melee.

Personally, I would house rule that mighty strike applies, and reason that the special rule overrides the usual rules in a Rules As Intended way, and overlooks any conflicts of wording.

Well, one of GW's FAQs answered the question about 'stealers killing each other, saying simply "NO"
    I always wondered what it was all bout... thanks

As for the other, special rules generally override the others before them

Marine

Question- I'm playing a version of space hulk where both sides have access to ranged weapons and have the option to go on over watch. If a model with a ranged weapon steps round a corner and into sight of a model on over watch, who should shoot first, the moving model or the over watch model?

I can see reasons for both. For the over watcher, he responds to movement. For the mover, he is allowed to fire as part of a movement.

Any views at to which is the better/fairer interpretation?

Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Druathii View Post
    Question- I'm playing a version of space hulk where both sides have access to ranged weapons and have the option to go on over watch. If a model with a ranged weapon steps round a corner and into sight of a model on over watch, who should shoot first, the moving model or the over watch model?

I can see reasons for both. For the over watcher, he responds to movement. For the mover, he is allowed to fire as part of a movement.

Ta.
    Direct interpretation of the rules say that moving+shooting is a single action, so the overwatcher shoots after he gets shot at.

Of course.. Most FUN gameplay would say that they shoot at the same time, potentially killing each other. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Druathii View Post

Ta.
    Well I'd say the overwatching guy would shoot first, but then reading the rules it says that the overwatch action comes after the triggering model has finished his own action, here the combined movement+shoot.
    Hence you could say that the model on overwatch could die before shooting a single round.

Marine

After playing the overwatch v's moving shooter firing as part of their move (the dual duel I suppose it could be called) I've decided to give the overwatcher the first shot - but only for the first shot.

While this is against the original space hulk rules as written, I think it is more accurate. A model on overwatch is primed to respond to movement, so they should shoot at a model which appears into their overwatch arc. The moving model would need time to draw a bead on the model in overwatch so their shot would be slower.

If both models have survived that action then the advantage can switch to the moving model. From a second action onwards they can shoot as part of the move and the overwatcher fires second.

To me, this seems a workable, rememberable ( if that's a word) and makes some kind of logical sense.

As an aside, models in my games receive a save vs shooting attacks. 4+ if you are in terminator equivalent armour, 5+ if you are in powered armour equivalent and 6 if you are in carapace equivalent. No save if you are wearing anything lighter than carapace. I think this does two things, it lessens the chances of an armoured target dying to shooting attacks, so does not tip the balance too far away from the initial premise of space hulk which was shooting power vs combat power. Secondly it lessens the vulnerability of heavily armoured targets to shooting. Combat remains the same, saveless system we always had as I see the dice roll off as taking in many factors including skill and armour. If you manage to beat the opponent you have found a weak point in his defence.

I find the best way to deal with shooting is to give the shooter two dice and a terminator hard to kill. Of course this depends upon whom you have in the game. Terminators vs chaos terminators would make for a very boring game done this way. Terminators boarding an ork hulk however works very well with this method. I do however only allow the ork player to set overwatch by using his command points rather than regular action points as normal. This is because orks are less well trained and marines should still have the edge in shooting - this reduces the amount of orks that will be firing back in the marine turn.

Wow it looks like these forums are no longer active...

I wanted to know if there is a computer version of space hulk that you can play with your friends over the internet?

Such a fun game that should be shared and not just played by those that can find an ancient box set...

several, although I never found one that was as much fun as the game.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22