Thread: PCRC Deathwing expansion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PCRC Deathwing expansion

My gaming group, the PCRC, has made an expansion to Space Hulk 3rd edition. It's based on the Deathwing short story, and details the struggle of Captain Ezekiel and his men to save their dying culture.

You can download it for free here

Hope you all enjoy it – we'd appreciate any feedback!

+++

Currently bubbling under – Heroes of Ultramar, a Space Hulk campaign set deep in the Northern Defence Fortress, during the invasion of Macragge by Hive Fleet Behemoth...
    Last edited by Apologist; 28-10-2009 at 12:14.
    Imperium Secundus
    Rebuilding painting blogs

Industrious, bionically-enhanced member of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic

Re: PCRC Deathwing expansion

I'd particularly recommend Mission IV as its nail-bitingly close to the wire for both players. Mission 1 really makes you realise just how bad-ass Librarians are, but at the same time, its shocking how quickly close combat can eat up those psi-points.
    Currently mustering the 34th Grand Host of the Word Bearers. Glory to Chaos! Death to the False Emperor!

Proud member of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic: www.pcrc.org.uk

A few minor updates and changes to the latest version of the file (v3.1)
    Deathwing
    Imperium Secundus

Apologies for the bump of this, but it's a fortnight after release and was wondering if anyone had any critique for this pack?
    Imperium Secundus

Chapter Master

I have yet to play any of the missions, but I must say that I really like what I see. The W/L/D aspect of it, rather than pure W/L looks like it would make for a very interesting game, and the missions do all look interesting.

Chaplain

Looks like a great campaign to play, very nicely put together- wish I'd noticed it sooner! Shall hopefully have a few games soon and be able to give some actual feedback.

Thanks very much .

That'd be brill. These are designed as 'living documents', so any input you guys have will be well-received and much appreciated.

An alternative you might like to try is to substiture Mission III's Alone in the Dark special rule with the Supply Lines Cut rule that was omitted from an early version.

Supply Lines Cut: Track each marine's storm bolter ammunition on the assault cannon track (you can use separate counters or markers for each marine). Each marine carries one reload, which works exactly like the assault cannon reload except that is costs 1AP rather than 4AP. Unlike assault cannons, storm bolters never explode after reload.

Note that this replaces Alone in the Dark, so you can see as normal in this mission.
    Last edited by Apologist; 11-11-2009 at 11:14.
    Imperium Secundus

Thanks a lot, Apologist!
    Will check it out sometime soon =)

Good work chaps! Nice use of CRI's maps and always lovely to see the old SH artwork.

Not played any yet, but here are some CCs from a read through of the missions:

Mission 1 - the North East portion of the map (ie all the bits joined by the 3rd tier entry points) seems rather pointless. 2HT has a direct route to the Patriarch (and hopefully kill it) and then needs to last several more turns. There is no need for him to wander off up there as he will be no more survivable, he'd be better off saving APs and CPs to pick off stealers whereever he kills the Patriarch. Similarly, the stealers have no requirement to use the "3" entry areas as the connecting corridors behind 2HT can be reached from the "2" entry areas. I'd suggest that 2HT starts as far as possible from the Patriarch (or have him chase the Patriarch across the map) and have a more defensible place to see ot the remainder of the game.

Mission 2 seems pretty straightforward - unless I'm missing something, the marines should ignore the control room and move as fast as possible to the nearest exit leaving a rearguard for an easy win. Perhaps make the locked doors immune to all attacks/chainfists etc - thae marines *have* to use the control panel. There's a minor typo "enterey point" in the lurking paragraph.

Mission 3 - the "higher" rooms are pointless for deployment options. If the stealer player puts Swift Kite in either of them the marines will win easily, the stealers will never stop them reaching the control room in time. It would be slightly more helpful to say how many 3-blips need to be removed from the pack (you can count them out from the stack) rather than how many need to be left in.

Mission 4 - for clarity, does the Sergeant get the +1 combat bonus? +3 total with lightning claws...Also, the victory conditions need clarifying...I'd hope that the marine player survives every game, even if his marines don't! Is it the whole squad, or just a single marine who survives, etc.

Mission 5 - to make it fair on the "non-campaign" version, you should assume that some of squad Marius (say 2 marines) are killed in the previous mission.

As a non-bookkeeping alternative to "supply lines cut", you could say that any roll totalling 2 or 3 (i.e. 3 in 36 chance, approx 10% or 10 shots) causes the storm bolter to run out of ammo, and requires 4 APs to reload like an AC.
    Last edited by Patriarch; 12-11-2009 at 19:18.

Chaplain

I think I agree with all the points Patriarch points out.

Additionally, in mission V, what point does the marine player evacuate from? Is it the marine entry zones or the ladder marked "A" (or am I being stupid and missing some text!)

Perhaps to represent members of squad Marius not surviving to take part in mission V (in non-campaign play) a d6 should be rolled for each terminator, on a 3+ they are in on a 1-2 they didnt make it.

Goroul

Hey all,
    With the re-release of Space Hulk, I thought I'd bring this back from the depths, as it remains fully compatible. To answer some (very old!) questions:

Mission 1 - the North East portion of the map (ie all the bits joined by the 3rd tier entry points) seems rather pointless. 2HT has a direct route to the Patriarch (and hopefully kill it) and then needs to last several more turns. There is no need for him to wander off up there as he will be no more survivable, he'd be better off saving APs and CPs to pick off stealers whereever he kills the Patriarch. Similarly, the stealers have no requirement to use the "3" entry areas as the connecting corridors behind 2HT can be reached from the "2" entry areas. I'd suggest that 2HT starts as far as possible from the Patriarch (or have him chase the Patriarch across the map) and have a more defensible place to see ot the remainder of the game.
    This area's there so the genestealers have a place to bottleneck Two Heads Talking basically forcing him to waste his psychic points before facing the Patriarch.

Mission 4 - for clarity, does the Sergeant get the +1 combat bonus? +3 total with lightning claws...
    Yep! It's not quite as nasty as it appears, as the bonus only applies to the front.

Also, the victory conditions need clarifying...I'd hope that the marine player survives every game, even if his marines don't! Is it the whole squad, or just a single marine who survives, etc.
    Heh heh that wording's just for consistency with the main rulebook. Only a single marine need survive.

Mission 5 - to make it fair on the "non-campaign" version, you should assume that some of squad Marius (say 2 marines) are killed in the previous mission.
    A nice little addendum.

Additionally, in mission V, what point does the marine player evacuate from? Is it the marine entry zones or the ladder marked "A" (or am I being stupid and missing some text!)
    Nope, me being dim and not specifying. The marines exit from the square marked A (it's a ladder).

Enjoy!
    Imperium Secundus