Thread: Ultramarines, Honour Companies, and their Successors

Veteran Sergeant

Ultramarines, Honour Companies, and their Successors

I was reading the 13th Black Crusade:

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...GameNav=303365

and came upon mention an Ultramarines Honour company lead by a captain from the Patriarchs of Ulixis and a Librarian from the Sons of Guilliman. This seemed odd to me. Granted, both chapters are Ultramarine successors but I was not aware that they held such close ties such that they would fight in mixed squads. Do the Ultramarine successor chapters also help defend the Ultramar systems?

Furthermore, the latest space marine codex describes an Ultramarine Honor Guard, but the phrase honour company seems to imply on the order of 100 marines. Is that surprising to anyone else?

Finally, does anyone know what the campaign badges look like for any of the crusades that the Ultramarines may have been involved in?

Thanks,
    Chinh

Re: Ultramarines, Honour Companies, and their Successors

I think Honour Company may be a more mercenary term, like a few squads of people drafted from different companies to aide the allies and children of the Ultramarines. I've personally always held to the idea that the Ultramarines, being the most powerful Space Marine force (if hampered by location) in the Imperium, would maintain close ties and contact with the various successors and other foundings that occured after the Heresy. This implies that Ultramar's influence may extend beyond the reaches of their empire. EoT only backed this up further, it's a long way from Ultramar, but there they are, a presence aiding their "children".
    im in ur pantz eatin ur d00dz!!1!
    Most Profilic of the KGB - Kiwi Gamer's Battlegroup
    So metal I make my own sushi. And then eat it. With green tea. Made from babies.

Chapter Master Khaine's Messenger's Avatar

An honor company is probably a slightly more permanent, astrographically limited institution than a provisional company, and little else. Hardly a UM-exclusive phenomenon, but probably monopolized by them and their successors because they make up a supposed 3/5 of all Space Marines....
    "Yes! Finally, a campaign where I can open my mouth without starting a war between the local druids and wizards that will result in a cataclysmic war that will burn reality to its very foundations! My roleplaying life is complete!"--Me, Apr 4, 2008

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only weak search-fu....

The Honour Company is a formation resulting from Guliman's oath to defend the region around the Eye from the Traitor Legions. With the splitting of the legions this fell to the Ultramarines and Primogenitor chapters, and recent events have reduced the role of the Ultramarines themselves.

The Honour Guard are marked Veteran Sergeants, who are on occasion called up from their companies to serve the Lord of Macrage as a personal guard unit.
    Pride is not a sin. Hubris is not a failing. The galaxy is not a mere collection of stars, it is our birthright! For too long have men looked up the infinite expanses of darkness before them and looked back inward, seeking solance in their huddled, weak soulfires. I see the black depths before me and all I can see is an eternity of war and conquest in the Emperor's name.
    -Lord Solar Macharius

Veteran Sergeant

The 13th Black Crusade book doesn't just say honour company, it explicitly says "Ultramarines Honour Compnay", which is why I was surprised that it was led by a captain from the Patriarchs of Ulixis. Is there a reference that describes such a formation?

Thanks,
    Chinh

It's in one of the WD articles dealing with the aftermath of the 13th Black Crusade, don't have the library to hand so I can't check which.
    Pride is not a sin. Hubris is not a failing. The galaxy is not a mere collection of stars, it is our birthright! For too long have men looked up the infinite expanses of darkness before them and looked back inward, seeking solance in their huddled, weak soulfires. I see the black depths before me and all I can see is an eternity of war and conquest in the Emperor's name.
    -Lord Solar Macharius

Basically it's one hundred marines from the Ultramarines and successor chapters who do little more than hold a ceremonial position guarding the Eye. That's not to say that they aren't capable marines, indeed IIRC it is considered a great honour to be selected. But seriously, 100 marines possibly + support, compared to the other forces in the area. It's hardly anything shout about.

Quote from Index Astartes on the Ultramarines Honour company :

"The Ultramarines have maintained the Honour Company at the Cadian Gate for many millennia, rotating officers and squads from Ultramar, as well as warriors from the Ultramarines' many successor chapters to guard the Cadian Gate.

The current commander of the Honour Guard is Captain Echion of the Patriarchs of Ulixis Chapter, a veteran leader of many centuries of service fighting the servants ot the Ruinous Powers. It is unusual, though far from unheard of for an officer not of the Ultramarines Chapter to lead the company, though with the Chapter's resources stretched by Tyranid incursions on the Eastern Rim such a situation is set to become more common."

Veteran Sergeant

Awesome 20th Century Boy!

Index Astartes Vol 1 you say? If you could give me a page number I would be greatful.

Thanks,
    Chinh

Ah, no, it's from the Index Astartes article "The Eye of the Storm - Space Marine Chapters fighting in the Eye of Terror", which sums up the major chapters' actions during the Thirteenth Black Crusade (Eye of Terror-Campaign). As far as I know this article hasn't made it into one of the Index Astartes compilations, and was only published in White Dwarf (286/UK).
    Last edited by 20th Century Boy; 26-01-2006 at 02:55.