Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd ED memories....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2nd ED memories....

Ok, for you old guard out there, what good memories do you have from 2nd ed?

I liked strength reduction to armor. Good times. I miss my 2nd ed SW codex.
    Best memory though was the generic assasin with: combat drugs, power weapon, polymorphine, and a vortex grenade. Oh how I loved it when I removed a guardian and threw a vortex grenade on Eldrad! Ahhh the fun.

I also remember being able to load lots of assault cannons and havocs on my WG termies. Although I didnt do that often as it really pissed people off.

And OMG the assault cannon had some crazy armor-pen dice!

Re: 2nd ED memories....

I once threw a virus grenade that wiped out an entire Ork army apart from Gazhkull and one Grot. Gazzy only survived by calling a Waargh which made him invulnerable. It was only turn 2 so we decided to start again and replay the game (without the virus grenade sadly ).
    The is Force split, unbalanced. The Dark side is at war with the Light. Only the Chosen One can wield the power of both. To know the peace of the Light without becoming frozen in rigid rules like the Jedi. To channel the righteous anger of the Dark side to fight injustice without being consumed by rage and evil like the Sith.

That is the destiny of the Chosen One. Not to bring triumph to one side of the Force but to bring both into balance so they are no longer in conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Karhedron View Post
    I once threw a virus grenade that wiped out an entire Ork army apart from Gazhkull and one Grot. Gazzy only survived by calling a Waargh which made him invulnerable. It was only turn 2 so we decided to start again and replay the game (without the virus grenade sadly ).
    That happend quite often to the orks, we had a similar situation.

My vote, Rad missles with the expanding strength and diameter...
    The 75th Logres Prime Ice Drakes:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96543

Tyranid random events; "Jones is acting funny" and so forth.

Cyclone Missile Launchers.

Nuff said.
    He's a semi aquatic, egg laying mammal of action.

To Insanity... and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by the1stpip View Post
    Cyclone Missile Launchers.

Nuff said.
    I recall spinning like a top due to a missfire, was good fun

Assassin knocking out a Dreads shield then popping it like a balloon on one turn (they could fire twice then)
    Perfect shot with a Melta Shell launched from a Griffon taking out a tank with its first shot.
    Demolisher flipping on its back when firing on the move

And many more.

I liked the old strategy cards. Was once playing in a big multiplayer game, and a 'Virus Outbreak' wiped out 60 chaos cultists before the first turn. Didn't really make a lot of difference to the rest of the game suprisingly, as the rest of the chaos army was in power armour and thus immune.

Dark Millenium vehicle rules. You could remove all the weapons from a Land Raider and it would cost less than a Rhino.
    You are standing on my balls

see that gretchin over there? he's actually a imperial assassin in disguise.

in terminator armor.

with a thunder hammer and storm shield.

and a vortex grenade.

surprise!

Dark Millenium vehicle rules. You could remove all the weapons from a Land Raider and it would cost less than a Rhino
    Same price as a gretchin actually. 4pts

I'm sure the ridiculous assassin thing was FAQ'd (the faq example was a humble eldar guardian turning into an assassin wearing terminator armour and riding a bike.)

These are some of the extremes of the game though.
    Good memories of 2nd ed 40k are casting 'Eadbutt on the vortex template left by your opponent throwing the grenade at your unit/tank and sending it back towards them.
    I also enjoyed Nazdreg with telescopic legs and a lascannon on overwatch.

Anyway, someone is bound to comment on combat taking forever, but was certainly not the case in my group of friends. Maybe we were just quicker at maths than these people!

Quote Originally Posted by unheilig View Post
    see that gretchin over there? he's actually a imperial assassin in disguise.

in terminator armor.

with a thunder hammer and storm shield.

and a vortex grenade.

surprise!
    Pity that was against the rules; a model using Polymorphine (to shapechange into a Gretchin) couldn't wear Terminator Armour - they were restricted to a 4+ ad best armour save.

I miss Bjorn the Fell-handed making a career of killing Avatars before Marneus Calgar made it cool. I miss a heavy plasma gun firing on maximum power destroying a Land Raider, causing it to flip over onto the Wolf Guard champion special character in Terminator Armour behind it, who subsequently passed his armour save, cmabered out from under the wreckage and kicked ****.

I miss Termagants with spike rifles and stranglewebs and Imperial Guard infantry squads being able to detach the heavy weapon team.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGPaul View Post
    Pity that was against the rules; a model using Polymorphine (to shapechange into a Gretchin) couldn't wear Terminator Armour - they were restricted to a 4+ ad best armour save.
    not at first... polymorphine was changed at one point during 2nd ed.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyF View Post
    Dark Millenium vehicle rules. You could remove all the weapons from a Land Raider and it would cost less than a Rhino.
    Doing this in 1st edition made it negative points. Free Ram-Raiders!

Loved the random profile of Fabius Bile
    We are returned!

So many memories! It's hard to know where to begin.

In Second Edition and Rogue Trader combined my Ork army lost every single game I played with them, and some of the losses featured such terrible luck that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, particularly with out of control vehicles crashing into each or hitting walls, flipping and exploding, yet somehow failing to kill any Space Marines in the process.

Vehicles going out of control was quite amusing, but I'm glad that this layer of complexity no longer exists.

Anyway, I learnt that Orks really didn't suit me, so while I built a third edition army, it never appeared on the table, and was sold not so long ago.

I have more positive experiences to recall with my Eldar.

Warp Spiders were truly nasty, too powerful in some ways, but they just used to chew through so many units, and they were almost impossible to negate if you played them well.

I also enjoyed using my Farseer and Master Warlock to the full in the psychic phase. Executioner being a particular favourite of mine for killing off irritating characters.

I also have very fond memories of my Swooping Hawks dropping Krak Grenades on the heads of my opponents' armies, and in particular, managing to kill Ragnar Blackmane, which, as anyone who fought against Space Wolves in Second Edition will tell you, was not the work of a moment.

I don't, however, miss the strategy cards or some of horrendously overpowered combinations which all armies had access to, so while I did enjoy Second Edition, certain elements were over the top in my view.
    Visit 40K Online for all your 40K needs.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

SIXTH CIRCLE OF HELL (aka Birmingham, UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Irisado View Post
    I also have very fond memories of my Swooping Hawks dropping Krak Grenades on the heads of my opponents' armies..
    Hehe, I did that too - on Mephiston

Other memories -
    ++ Destroying my mates whole Chaos army with my Eldar and only losing a couple of men myself. Abaddon was the last model standing and he got sucked into the warp from a Wraithcannon shot!
    ++ My mate charging my Swooping Hawk Exarch with a squad of Berserkers - then losing the combat as the Exarchs attacks just kept stacking up!
    ++ Another mate setting up loads of Space Wolf Terminators, all armed with Assault Cannons - then me setting up at the other end of the board, meaning I was well out of range for the whole game which wasted him a hell of a lot of points!
    ++ My mate, in his haste to kill me, totally forgetting his shooting phase and charging into my tooled up Interrogator Chaplain, backed up by a full squad of Assault Marines - silly boy! (And yes, I didn't let him move his minis back to shoot - it's his own fault and he'd have done the same to me!)
    ++ When all the fighting stopped for tea. Sorry, the psychic phase
    ++ Tooling all your characters up then forgetting to use the Wargear cards!

On a personal note - playing on the floor 'cause I hadn't got the space/spare cash for a board due to having two young kids. *Ouch* our sore knees!

Still...great times!
    Quote Originally Posted by iamfanboy View Post
    Games Workshop is... like a spider sitting at the center of a giant web. Each strand is a player, and losing that strand reduces its ability to catch its prey. When it loses too many strands, it won't be able to feed itself any more, and will fall to the ground with an overripe splat - or it will starve and shrink until it's a shadow of its former self, with a tiny web that hardly resembles the reach it once had.

Quote Originally Posted by DCLXVI View Post
    Hehe, I did that too - on Mephiston
    I wish I had been there to see the look on your opponent's face. How I love stories of Space Marine Special Characters being killed by Swooping Hawks .

The discussion about Daemonic Attack reminds me of when I used it against my dad's Inquisitor Lord, who promptly died a horrible death, which was very good news for my Eldar, since Inquisition psychic powers were nasty.

Still, I did find Daemonic Attack to be rather a cruel way of dealing with an opposing psyker, and towards the end of playing Second Edition my regular opponents and I came up with a house rule to remove it from the deck, on the grounds that we would much rather kill the opposing psyker using strategy and tactics, rather than by getting a card at the right time.

Daemonic Attack could also win you the game too easily if the mission being played was Witch Hunt.

I thought that the Mission Cards did limit the game to four official turns, although I'm sure that games could be lengthened if both players were willing.

Four turns was often enough in my experience though, as the different movement modes and longer ranges meant there was far more happening in the early turns in those games than is the case now, especially when you bear in mind armies used to have to deploy nearly all their units, as reserves was not a concept which was around back then.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

The codices with actual fluff.

The game ... not so much.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia800 using my microwave as a proxy server.

That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.

I am the guy who thought the LoTR movies were crap and liked Judge Dredd.

Quote Originally Posted by chromedog View Post
    The codices with actual fluff.
    Excellent point, and I completely agree.

The amount of background material available for each race in Second Edition (and in Rogue Trader for some races too) far exceeds that which is available in the modern game, and that material was the great strength of early versions of 40K in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisado View Post
    Excellent point, and I completely agree.
    The amount of background material available for each race in Second Edition (and in Rogue Trader for some races too) far exceeds that which is available in the modern game, and that material was the great strength of early versions of 40K in my view.
    Thats what Black Library is supposed to be for these days. However Customer complaints did the return of some background to the codices after 3rd Ed.

Memories are many. Took out one guy's entire cult of speed with 2 squads of warp spiders with exarchs having rad grenades.

Getting the vortex detonator card before any of my mates and strapping it to my land speeder - and watching 3 go off in the opposition army

Taking out both Marines Squads from the box game with just the grots from the same box.

Customising rules - and that being normal.

Campaigns and a huge lack of interest in tournament playing

Taking Rhinos just to ram and run over stuff

Making my mate put his Basilisk in the kitchen, and getting him to peer round the door and guess range for indirect fire

Playing an American chap - nice guy - who didn't quite get the idea, and turned up with statutory WG Terminators plus blah blah - with jump packs. Don't know how he worked that out, but the unit was there, converted and had been used (saw the photos).

Captain Inviticus Terminator Conger Line

Dammit going to have to go and get the books out now
    Free your hobby! Be creative and stop slavishly following the damn Book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osbad View Post
    Anyone calling the LotR system's balance inferior to the other 2 core games' is just spouting absolute rubbish and clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
    RIP Brimstone.
    I used to read the GW Other Forum, but I am much happier now.

Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast