Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifespan of an Ork?

Lifespan of an Ork?

Hey Guys,

As above really, how long can an ork live?

I thought it was as long as he can find warfare to sustain him, but I think I may have made that up in my head. Thraka we know has at the least a 60 year life because of the time between Armageddon II and III. I just want to know because I am writing some fluff for my Inquisitor Ork Warband (In 28mm Scale BTW), and I don't want the character to live ridiculousy (spelling?) long.

Thanks in advance.
    TGK.

Banned

Re: Lifespan of an Ork?

There are rumours of Orks growing to the size of Dreadnoughts, possibly larger; personally, I feel that once an Ork does slow down due to aging, he's rapidly eliminated before it becomes noticeable.

Yes, I thought it was the growth that was affected by warfare. Thanks, do you know about the age though?

Thanks,
    TGK

I dont know of any fluff that say they die of old age. That said there is plenty of fluff that says this ork was killed, that ork was killed.

The main point is Killed. Short of GW putting out some fluff saying the other. As for aging tho, I dont think being made of spores we can apply this age thing to them.

It fits more like as long as some one does not burn them out. They would keep growing and living thru the war fed groups,

Chapter Master

Orks don't really age per say, you'll notice that we can't really tell their age from one to the next. We assume nobz are older because they're larger, and doubly so for a warboss, but they really could be the same age; imagine a high schooler who is short and skinny, and then one on steroids at 6'4" pumping iron all the time. Roughly the same age, dramatic build difference.

Orks are similar to space marines (though they age) in that they'll keep living until something ends them (at least so the data suggests*.) That said, they are ended frequently. You can get quite old if you can stay on top of the pile, but given to do that you need to be bigger/tougher/etc..., you need to be in warfare, thusly in harms way. See the paradox?

It's perfectly reasonable to have an Ork live for a couple centuries, though he'll have no inherent advantages by doing so, as he's likely nearly as dumb as he was and was tough as nails to begin with. Let's face it, if you're that zoggin' tough you're just smart enough not to get caught but otherwise can afford to have others do your thinking for you (at the threat of their life of course.)

*They might have a really high limit they simply never have the chance to reach. Some trees can live for thousands of years but then die. Orks could be similar and we simply never see it happen.

The only place I've ever seen information given on Ork aging is in the infamous "Anzion's Report" from Gorkamorka's "Da Uvver Book." Here's what it says...

Quote Originally Posted by GorkaMorka 'Da Uvver Book', pg. 109
    "It should be noted that the Otks, the largest and longest-lived species, rarely survive to more than thirty Terran years, although exceptional and powerful individuals live longer than the lover ranking ones."
    Also, for those who endlessly speculate that nothing in 40K dies of old age, ever, here's a bit saying otherwise:

Quote Originally Posted by GorkaMorka 'Da Uvver Book', pg. 109
    "..and old Orkoids desert their communities to seek out the dank, shaded spots before they succumb to old age."
    Misfire! Comics

It has been 10 years since our last workplace Cease & Desist incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    Also, for those who endlessly speculate that nothing in 40K dies of old age, ever, here's a bit saying otherwise:

Originally Posted by GorkaMorka 'Da Uvver Book', pg. 109
    "..and old Orkoids desert their communities to seek out the dank, shaded spots before they succumb to old age."
    that quotation doesn't seem very orky, though??

i would suggest that in truth, seeing as orks would rather fight one another than not fight at all for a long period of time, they very rarely get the chance to grow old. very rarely.

however, Lexington's other quotation:

Originally Posted by GorkaMorka 'Da Uvver Book', pg. 109
    "It should be noted that the Otks, the largest and longest-lived species, rarely survive to more than thirty Terran years, although exceptional and powerful individuals live longer than the lover ranking ones."

says they're the longest-lived species?? what; longer than the Eldar, for example? so, in theory, those two quotation suggest that not only do orks live the longest, but one or more has lived long enough to go and find those 'dank places' and die, which, including the Eldar reference, suggests said ork(s) was over 10,000 years old (referring to the very oldest of the Eldar, such as Eldrad Ulthran)!!!

me is now puzzled...
    Last edited by Karl MkVI; 13-02-2010 at 20:54.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Coincidentally the Impossible Planet spells straight out that Necrons can indeed move between stars... Then again, that was also written by Ward that had long ago passed into legend for its improbable ability to be inconsistent between the codexes at will. Wherever the Ward appears, strange happenings occur: memories change, ancient codexes rewrite themselves and canon background shifts in its orbit- almost as if history is being rewritten.

says they're the longest-lived species?? what; longer than the Eldar, for example? so, in theory, those two quotation suggest that not only do orks live the longest, but one or more has lived long enough to go and find those 'dank places' and die, which, including the Eldar reference, suggests said ork(s) was over 10,000 years old (referring to the very oldest of the Eldar, such as Eldrad Ulthran)!!!
    No I think it is refering to the other orkoid species. Like squigs, gretchin and the like. Of those the Ork is the longest lived.

Banned

Since size is status, and after a certain point, there are only so many command hats available, you can presume that anything over ten feet tall is Da Leader, and any Ork about to reach that size must fancy his chances.

Chapter Master genestealer_baldric's Avatar

i allways thought that the Old ork was powerfull and was never suplanted naturally but instead a younger more powerfull ork overpowerd them and took over there role.
    Tyranids R.I.P:cries:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asgul View Post
    I think I shot the easter bunny last year, but he got back up I think he has the FNP special rule

Quote Originally Posted by MetalGecko23 View Post
    No I think it is refering to the other orkoid species. Like squigs, gretchin and the like. Of those the Ork is the longest lived.
    ahhh. that makes a lot of sense. having not read the book in question, i would never have thought of that. cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Coincidentally the Impossible Planet spells straight out that Necrons can indeed move between stars... Then again, that was also written by Ward that had long ago passed into legend for its improbable ability to be inconsistent between the codexes at will. Wherever the Ward appears, strange happenings occur: memories change, ancient codexes rewrite themselves and canon background shifts in its orbit- almost as if history is being rewritten.

Aye, Orks grow bigger the older they get.

I'd argue they don't have old age, the Old Ones engineered their species as the most resilient, brutal warrior caste to protect them.
    They follow an 'evolution' like method of warrior selection, the weedy are killed, and the strong get stronger.

With that in mind I'd argue the average life span can't be more than a few years, as the majority of Ork Boyz will take a bullet to the face in constant haphazard fighting.
    Nobz, going onto Warboss, to Warlords, to walking tanks I can see living 10- 30- 50 even a hundred years through being the biggest, toughest Ork around- and so surrounding themselves with the best Ork fighters, the biggest guns, the toughest tanks, etc- whilst sending the scrawny young Ork Boyz off to die in the hundreds in wave attacks.

It just makes sense to me- if you have the God-like powers of the Old Ones and your building a tough warrior caste to find your nemesis, you don't engineer them to grow old and infirm.

I honestly sometimes wish that GW would just specifically state somewhere that absolutely nothing in 40K ever grows old and dies, at all, even a little, just to satiate the seeming 90% of their fanbase that apparently believes so simply because it's not been otherwise conclusively shown.
    Last edited by Lexington; 14-02-2010 at 01:26.
    Misfire! Comics

It has been 10 years since our last workplace Cease & Desist incident.

Chapter Master

So in theory, a very very very old Ork who has been in loads of non stop fights and has never been beaten, could be the size of a titan, or even bigger?

Banned

That's theory, but it can't be practical, since that large a target would be the first thing blown to pieces, especially if it's established that he's the commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    That's theory, but it can't be practical, since that large a target would be the first thing blown to pieces, especially if it's established that he's the commander.
    That wouldn't stop him. An army of Mad Doks and Mekboyz would subsequently salvage all the still-twitching lumps of warlord, stitch them all together and fuse them into a massive cybork body... that essentially results in a partially-organic Gargant being created.

At that point, the newly-created boss Gargant would aspire to "Stomp da ooniverse flat... hur, hur, hur..."

well as i understand it the orks are fungus based so they could live for hundreds of years if not more. the fact that they grow larger in size and strengh the more they fight they could be the size of a dreadnaught but i cant see them growing much bigger as they would just be easy pickings for something realy shooty. any bigger then a dread i dont think would work unless the mad doks put loads of sparkly bits on him. then there is an inteligence issue with added size do they gain more or less brain power or cunning which ever you prefare.

Chapter Master

Perhaps he could have some sort of force field, like that Big Mek model. So in effect would be like the shields on a titan. Not sure about the intelligence thing though. I assume that his brain would grow to keep in line with his body so he would probably be no more or less intelligent than before, just about the same.

Unless of course the brains don't grow, which could explain why beyond a certain size we don't get any. A massive Ork who is becoming less intelligent the bigger (Beyond a certain size.) he gets would make it easier for a Nob to bump him off and succeed him I imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrw-Amen View Post
    So in theory, a very very very old Ork who has been in loads of non stop fights and has never been beaten, could be the size of a titan, or even bigger?
    Well, Ghazgkull is supposed to be the size of dreadnought, so it probably is possible for an Ork to grow to even bigger sizes. Although it is highly improbable his life would be very long that way. The bigger they are...
    Ave applicator paintoris!

I paint some Horus Heresy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Well, Ghazgkull is supposed to be the size of dreadnought, so it probably is possible for an Ork to grow to even bigger sizes. Although it is highly improbable his life would be very long that way. The bigger they are...
    Speaking of ol' Ghaz, he's lead two WAAAGH!s on Armageddon, fifty years apart, so I'd assume a hundred years is a reasonable figure for a Warboss in his prime.

This is, of course, assuming he spent a roughly equal amount of time building up for each Waagh. He could certainly be far older than that, if we assume the prestige gained following the first Waagh allowed him to prepare for the second one a lot faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnahabhain View Post
    Choose Guard. Choose the right Imperial army. Choose Proper fire Support. Choose Big Guns. Choose Basilisks. Choose Manticores. Choose Deathstrikes. Choose all of them. Choose Artillery regiments. Choose to level the playing-field. Choose to level the Mountain range next to the playing field. Choose Guard.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast