Thread: The "rarity" of imperial equipment.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The "rarity" of imperial equipment.

I've always been annoyed by Imperial background. Almost every weapon they have is in "dwindling supply" or almost out of production like terminator armour. The million strong worlds of the imperium cannot have such supply shortages and continue to operate, it just destroys my suspension of disbelief.

As far as I'm concerned, the Imperium can produde large enough amounts of plasma weaponry, terminator armour, dreadnoghts and whatnot. How does a new chapter get terminators? You can't find that many in old hulks. How do the 100 guard regiments founded continually every few months/years get equipped with "rare" plasma guns? If they were so rare, they would have stopped suppplying the grunts centuries ago! Dreadnoughts must be getting destroyed all the time, lets be "realistic" , they get hit by a few lascannons and their dead, they aren't so invincible that a chapter can go for 10,000 years with the same set of dreadnoughts. There's only so many times you can repair one chassis I imagine, they must have dozens of new ones in production waiting to replace them and equip new chapters.

No, these "rare" items are so rare, that only 1 in 10 marines can have a plasma gun, and that only 1 in 10 marines can have terminator armour. They are just produced slower and distributed evenly among chapters. I won't accept this "so rare and dwindling" crap anymore to the point where every item the Imperium loses is unreplacable. Its a nice narrative, but it doesn't go with the flow of the rest of the fluff, 1000 chapters billions of guardsmen etc. Terminators and dreadnoughts and land raiders, they must get blown to hell all the time, they need to be continually replaced, and they are!
    The Imperium is hard up, but not quite to the level of the official background to my mind. They're an industrial behemoth, no matter what you kill or destroy, the Imperium will replace it two-fold!

I won't have it any other way!
    Last edited by shutupSHUTUP!!!; 23-05-2005 at 11:33.